My Turn on Newsweek.com (!)

Who says bloggers don’t need mainstream media? Come on, what’s cooler than being able to tell your story to a larger audience? Especially if your story is a “health triumph” like our day-to-day conquest over diabetes (most days :)

What I’m getting at is that this “one sick mom in California” is featured on Newsweek.com this week! My very own “My Turn” was even showcased on the front page for most of Saturday.

Newsweek_logo_funny_face

“Health Triumphs” is a health-related online version of the magazine’s popular “My Turn” essay series. Lots of interesting stuff people have been through – whew. For my part, you can read all about how this “healing blog” landed me smack in the middle of the Health 2.0 movement RIGHT HERE.

Thanks, Everybody — and Hi, Mom!

1. Rosalind Joffe
    Rosalind Joffe January 28, 2008 at 5:29 pm | | Reply

Oh, Amy, I’m not your Mom (but I’m old enough to be your Mom) and I gotta’ say I’m proud of you. You’re doing a terrific job with all this blogging stuff. Oh, never mind living with this chronic illness!
    Rosalind

2. Rachel
    Rachel January 28, 2008 at 5:50 pm | | Reply

:) One of my favorite features in Newsweek when I was younger was My Turn. Awesome.

3. CALpumper
    CALpumper January 28, 2008 at 9:55 pm | | Reply

Congrats Amy! A well deserved spot light for you! Keep it up you “go get ‘em Mom”! ;-)

4. Chris
    Chris January 29, 2008 at 5:40 am | | Reply

A big congrats to you and also a big thank you for another opportunity to big the big “D” to the attention of millions. Keep up the great work.

5. Melitta
    Melitta January 29, 2008 at 1:40 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy–Congrats and thanks for getting the word out there! A small request: you say “type 2 and is 90 percent more commonly diagnosed among adults” and “Type 1 is an autoimmune disease that typically strikes children.” The latest stats from the CDC, as presented in Diabetes in America (1995) state that 57% of new onset Type 1 is seen in people older than 20 (and in that same report the CDC says that that 57% does not include those with slow onset Type 1 autoimmune diabetes, aka LADA). So Type 1 more typically strikes adults, not children. I have a book from the 1950s that states that [Type 1] diabetes is newly diagnosed in about three times as many adults as children. Then, if you include ALL adults who acquire Type 1 autoimmune diabetes in the stats, that represents 15 to 25% of all diabetes cases, and Type 2 is then certainly less than 90%. You were diagnosed with Type 1 as an adult, I was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 35, let’s get the word out there that new onset Type 1 is most commonly seen in adults. If word gets out there, maybe there won’t be so many misdiagnoses (and the consequent suffering and hastening of diabetic complications).

6. Christine
    Christine January 30, 2008 at 10:09 pm | | Reply

Thank you for your courage. I’ve been reading your blogs for maybe a year on and off. They are quite informing, entertaining and inspiring. I feel like a kindred spirit. I too was diagnosed at 30 when my youngest of two was 4 years old.

It was after a rough 6 months. My Mom died, the kids had chicken pox, my daughter had a kidney infection with high fever, my son had surgery and then my daughter had major surgery to prevent more problems with kidney infections. After her surgery I was exhausted and went to the doctor to get checked out. T2 was the original diagnosis but after a year, 30 less pounds and too much diabetic medication, my diagnosis was changed to T1. Time for insulin.

I have had T1 diabetes now for 20 years. I have a small amount of neuropthy in my feet but everything else is fine. My kids have grown and I am a grandma of 3.

My biggest problem is learning that I can’t do everything like I used to. And reducing my stress level.

7. high blood
    high blood May 5, 2008 at 2:35 am | | Reply

Congratulations for the publicity that you’ve got. You probably deserve such recognition. There is no sweeter joy than be appreciated for the things that you worked so hard. Keep it up.