GlucoSurfer.org, etc. – What Do You Think?

So I noticed that some of you are only interested in Health 2.0 stuff if it’s all-diabetes, all-the-time. OK, then. Here are two more new sites aimed directly at us PWDs:

Wearediabetic_logo_2

* WeAreDiabetic.org – yet another social support network for the diabetic community. This one has a very Flickr-ish look and feel, IMHO. It’s created by the folks at WeAre.Us, who’ve recently launched online communities for Crohns, Parkinson’s Disease, and Huntington’s Disease. Seems like you can’t view too much of the content without registering, which I haven’t done yet, to be honest.

Mainly I wonder how they will compete with our friends who’ve created such great groups at TuDiabetes, DiabetesDaily, and DiabetesTalkFest, not to mention newer communities like DiabetesFriends.net, mentioned yesterday. I’d love to hear your feedback on the many new D-communities emerging. What attracts you or turns you off? What would motivate you most to register and get involved?

and

Glucosurferlogo

* Glucosurfer.org – yet another online tool for keeping meticulous records of your blood glucose readings. This one is hosted out of Germany and is “scientifically supervised” by the Department of Diabetes Research, according to founder Holger Schmeken. You keep records on your mobile phone, and zap them to the Glucosurfer site using wireless technology. Watch this YouTube clip to see how the system works. (Never mind that accent :)

Once your results are transferred to the site, you can chart your glucose results in detail, and “drag” the diagrams with your mouse for copying elsewhere, just like Google Maps. Using a Google Group tool, you can also “share your diary” and post questions to the community.

Holger would love some feedback on the site and its usefulness from our largely-American community here.

Again, my question is: how will a site like this stack up against SugarStats, SweetSpot.dm, MySugarLevel, MyInsulinLog and the many other sites designed for diabetic online record-keeping? Thoughts, anyone?

btw, the reason all this Health 2.0 stuff matters, is — as insiders note — “until relatively recently, patients didn’t network.” Nor could we use the Web to actually help us improve our disease management. The fact that new technology now enables us to do these things is definitely changing the world. Or at least, transforming the experience of being a patient, in a good way.

1. Challenge Diabetes
    Challenge Diabetes January 31, 2008 at 10:24 am | | Reply

Its All About Easy or forget it!

The GlucoMON-PWA training video (if we ever bother to make one) would be about 3 seconds long including the patient (kid w/ type 1) connecting his meter and another 5 seconds to show parents how to read a text message on their cell phone. By the way, …

2. saram
    saram January 31, 2008 at 1:55 pm | | Reply

I like all the information…not just the all D stuff all the time. Thanks for being so completely thorough. Your website is truly a mine full of gold.

Keep up the excellent word!

3. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez January 31, 2008 at 7:06 pm | | Reply

I registered for DiabetesFriends.net yesterday and now I just registered for WeAreDiabetic.org.

I see a lot of potential in DiabetesFriends.net because it definitely has a more human touch to it.

WeAre… seems too much of a one-size-fits-all type site to get to that level of connection that has made the communities you mention possible.

4. Lauren
    Lauren January 31, 2008 at 9:19 pm | | Reply

How is downloading meters and plotting BG data helpful? Why so many sites about recordkeeping? I don’t understand. My BG level is important for me to know in the moment, not two weeks later. The reading tells me whether I am high, low, within the target range, which tells me what to do. I can mentally attribute the BG level to whatever I did in the hours before: oh, I didn’t bolus enough for dinner, or I should have had a few sips of juice before exercising, etc. I don’t understand how seeing what your BG was last Tuesday at 3 p.m. is helpful at all. I don’t remember last Tuesday!

Why rehash BG values? I don’t need a diabetes educator to comment on every 170, every 52. My beta cells don’t work, so these blips in either direction are par for the course. I just want to keep track of my A1c, and as long as it’s between 5 and 5.5, I’m happy.

5. AmyT
    AmyT February 1, 2008 at 6:47 am | | Reply

Excellent point, Lauren :)

6. WC
    WC February 1, 2008 at 11:04 am | | Reply

As someone who is still using 2 shots a day, I have to disagree with Lauren. I see more value in analyzing trends using historic data than I do with immediate readings (for the purposes of adjusting my dosages – obviously lows are dealt with immediately). This is a lot easier to do with a graph than it is with a table of numbers, dates, and times. And since I follow a pretty strict schedule, I know exactly what I was doing at 3pm last Tuesday – when I ate, when I took my shot, and what the dosage was.

7. CALpumper
    CALpumper February 1, 2008 at 11:04 am | | Reply

In response to Lauren, if it works, work it.

The idea of keeping track of your BGs is to look for trends. While this is very difficult because of the varying factors (oh so many) we need to consider, it can be helpful.

I just started using the Free portion of SugarStats. I need to use it for a good solid month to get any trends – graphs. More important to me personally is the comments I make: this is what I ate, amt of grams, how I was feeling, what was going on at the time, here is my dose, break that dose down, if I did not do the full recommendation, why etc etc etc.

Either way, the point is, what works for one person may not work for someone else. They idea is to figure out the resources out there that will benefit your personal health and needs. I like seeing what is offered. Some are good, some not so much. Makes life more interesting… ;-)