Trends for 2008: Sanity, or Vanity?

According to a new Trend Watch review over at Medical News Today, 2008 will see consumers making “sensible choices and simple substitutions in lieu of the latest fad diet.” Hallelujah! Wouldn’t a Year of Actual Sanity be a nice change of pace?

On the other hand, a new national poll from NutritionData.com on “Why Americans Want to Eat Healthier” shows that people in different regions have different motivations. And, drum roll, please…

No_diets_button – People in the South and on the West Coast try to eat better in order to lose weight and/or look good

whereas…

- Americans living in the Heartland States want to change their diets to lower their risk of diseases like heart disease, diabetes and cancer

- People living on the East Coast of the U.S. eat healthier in the hopes that they will live longer

- Americans on the East Coast change their diets for the better so that they will have more energy

So the new shift to a focus on overall health (i.e a more “sane” approach to weight loss) appears to apply only to the American Heartland and East Coast. While the rest of us will just keep yo-yo-ing around, trying to fit into our special occasion outfits whenever we’re not binging. *Sigh*

You can find the geographic breakdown of the poll HERE.

Some background into on the Weight State of Our Nation:

“According to a recent study by the CDC, 34% of U.S. adults aged 20 and over are considered obese. Over 72 million people in our country are in need of shaping up and many will look to the New Year to start fresh.” Ya think?

Note that NutritionData’s resident nutritionist and blogger, Monica Reinagel, apparently has some tips “on how to take your reasons for eating healthier and transforming it into real changes in your life.” She seems to offer a healthy dose of sanity.

I wonder what YOUR approach is for the coming year: getting serious about following some prescriptive diet, or accepting yourself at a slightly larger pants size than ideal?

1. adam
    adam December 28, 2007 at 7:00 am | | Reply

I diet for one reason and one reason only–normal blood sugars despite type 1 diabetes. I need more exercise though. I am building a bicycle. That will help. I will exercise more as the weather gets warmer here in the Northeast. My son and I discussed the possibility of riding bicycles cross-country to the San Francisco bay area. It will take some serious training, though. First, I gotta get this bicycle built. He has to get a reliable bicycle too.

Adam

2. Albert
    Albert December 28, 2007 at 7:38 am | | Reply

Whatever the reasons, it’s always still better then doing NOTHING right?

3. Rachel
    Rachel December 28, 2007 at 7:44 am | | Reply

As long as I know I’m eating right and exercising, I don’t mind being a little heavier AS LONG AS all of my numbers are good. As soon as my lipids, blood pressure, and/or blood sugar numbers go wacky, I’ll know it’s time to lose a little weight. (A little heavier means the very upper end of acceptable BMI for my height.)

4. Mark
    Mark December 28, 2007 at 8:14 am | | Reply

Those of us that live in the Middle East will continue with our Mediterranean diet.

5. Kelsey
    Kelsey December 28, 2007 at 8:22 am | | Reply

I have seen amazing results during my pregnancy by eating a low GI diet, focusing on fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein, and eating 5-6 small meals a day. I’m due next week and have gained less than 20 pounds while I’m noticably slimmer in my face, arms, and legs.

I’m going to focus on maintaining this diet (really just a healthy, diabetic diet) for my lifetime and setting the groundwork for that this new year.

6. Melitta
    Melitta December 28, 2007 at 1:31 pm | | Reply

I am really tired of statements such as, “Americans living in the Heartland States want to change their diets to lower their risk of diseases like…diabetes…” For many if not most of us at diabetesmine, no change in diet would have made any difference in our diabetes diagnosis. “Diabetes” is an umbrella term, and no change in diet would change the diagnosis of diabetes for the 20-25% of us who have Type 1 autoimmune diabetes (both rapid onset and slow onset/LADA).

7. Hannah
    Hannah December 28, 2007 at 1:38 pm | | Reply

I’m trying to eat better and exercise more in order to just be healthier, and maybe to get my blood sugars under control. I want this to result in dropping some pounds, but if it only results in a better A1C, I’ll be pretty darn pleased!

(East Coast, represent!)

8. David
    David December 28, 2007 at 8:17 pm | | Reply

I want it all. I want to live longer, look better and have more energy. I’m sticking with my diet so that I can drive safely when I turn 85.

I’m sticking with the same diet I’ve been on for four years – the diet that brought my A1c down from 10.1 to 5.3%; the one on which I lost 50+ lbs and have kept it off 2+ years; the one on which I lost my food cravings; the one that keeps my postprandials below 140 mg/dl. Low carb now and for the rest of my life.

And I’m definitely going to be ignoring the American Diabetes Association’s latest guideline on Medical Nutrition Therapy.

9. Sarah
    Sarah December 30, 2007 at 12:06 am | | Reply

Being a Type 1, I don’t need to lose weight. I already eat fairly healthy because I have Celiac (cannot eat anything that contains or has touched gluten), and I am anaphylatic to milk and wheat on top of that. Meaning, most processed foods are out. I also have other food allergies, but they are not as severe.

On the rare occasions I risk eating out, I always order plain meat/fish, plain veggies, and a plain baked potato all made in a fresh pan that is not contaminated. As you can tell, this kind of meal is pretty healthy.

My main concern is staying alive and well everytime I eat. It is my allergies that I worry about. As a Type 1, I find diet has little to do with my blood sugars, with some exceptions. Most of the times I am severely high or low, food is not the issue.

I am always in shock at how the average Type 2 diabetic can follow a meal plan, lose a little weight, and see their A1c drop from 10 to a normal range. That’s great news for those who do this, but why isn’t everyone else if they could also have such results?!

I test 12x per day on average, am hooked up to an insulin pump 24/7, and have never been able to have an A1c lower than 6.5 (I also get severe lows). I usually average 7-7.3%.

I think if more people just ate healthy in general, cut out the processed garbage, and used common sense, Type 2 diabetes and obesity would be rare. Everyone wants to be healthy and look good, and it’s really not hard to eat well and control your portions if you use your head.

That said, if a treat is safe for me to eat, I go to town, pig out, and eat it (obviously I test and bolus for it). I just don’t do it everyday. *Moderation* is the key. Follow a healthy diet with small portions 90% of the time, splurge 10%, eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full. It’s simple really.

And if you are not full after 2 plates of food, you have trained your brain to over-ride your body’s natural hunger cues. Re-train it to eat sensibly. Nobody NEEDS to eat supersized portions, it’s all in people’s heads. Drink water and go for a walk.

10. Undiagnosed
    Undiagnosed July 4, 2008 at 5:20 pm | | Reply

I don’t know about diet changes for diabetes, but highly recommend everyone who suffers chronic pain stop eating the Nightshade Foods.
    Main one potatoes…….personal has made a big difference in my pain levels