Food Fight

For the first time in several years, I am feeling the pain of weight gain. In the last few weeks I noticed my pants fitting a little tighter, my thighs looking a little wider, and a fair bit more huffing and puffing as I attempted to jog back up the steep hill that leads towards our house.

Sure enough, the scale confirmed that I’ve gained at least a solid 5 pounds over the past few months of “letting my guard down.” By that I mean “forgetting” to be cautious about what I eat. I got a little spoiled, I suppose, because my diagnosis with the diabetes and the gluten intolerance sort of “forced me” to avoid sweets and packaged snack foods, along with most baked goods and pasta, and most starches and fruit as well. So for a long time now, it’s been sort of “easy” to maintain my weight without a day-to-day struggle.

Unhappy_fruit_face_2 But here’s the trouble: I realize that I’ve gravitated toward a lot of high-fat foods. For snacks, I’d rather pop a chunk of cheese or a handful of nuts in my mouth than anything that’s going to require the guessing game of carb-counting and insulin dosing. All that cheese and salami and those mixed nuts are now coming back to haunt me — especially in the killer combination of also eating more high-carb gluten-free foods, now that my daughter is on them. (Who can stand to waste an expensive & tasty half-eaten gluten-free blueberry muffin?)

So what I’m saying is: Aaaargh! I’m going to have to get focused on losing weight, or at least on NOT gaining an ounce more. Here’s a whole new set of frustrations to go along with the fight to keep my blood glucose under steady control. My heart goes out to Scott, and his love/hate relationship with food. That’s exactly how I feel today.

Mind you, I’m no stranger to this. I had a painful brush with an eating disorder in high school/early college that very nearly ruined my life. I do NOT wish to return to that dark place where I obsess about every morsel that passes my lips, ride the weight loss roller coaster, and beat myself up about it every day.

I do not want to hate food, because I love it. But do I love my body more? What I hate is feeling that I have to take sides between the two.

1. Dave Wendel
    Dave Wendel December 19, 2007 at 7:51 am | | Reply

Amy, I don’t remember what insulin you were taking before but now that you are using Apidra you may notice the weight gain may not be as much of an issue. I used Novalog before and when I started to not pay attention to what I was eating my weight went up. I have a fairly high metabolism so that was a new experience for me. Hopefully you will find the same to be true from using Apidra. Dave

2. Shannon
    Shannon December 19, 2007 at 8:06 am | | Reply

Although I don’t have the challenges you do, I wonder why it’s so hard for me to not make food such an issue. I’m gaining weight as well and although I LOVE the feeling of being thin and fit, I can’t seem to stop the careless eating.

3. Elijah M
    Elijah M December 19, 2007 at 8:37 am | | Reply

There’s a good chance that your insulin pump has caused you to put on a few pounds. I gained weight when I first went on the OmniPod, because my body stopped burning small amounts of fat whenever my injection regimen and my day-to-day activities didn’t gel perfectly.

4. Rachel
    Rachel December 19, 2007 at 9:48 am | | Reply

I’ve been struggling to accept that, hey, it appears my body LIKES to be at the weight I’m at. I can’t budge from the same five-pound weight range that I’ve been at for a year. Whether inactive with less-than-ideal blood sugars or active with excellent blood sugars, I might add. I look fine, I feel fine, but wouldn’t it be nice to lose ten pounds and drop a size…yeah, whatever.

5. Betsy
    Betsy December 19, 2007 at 2:42 pm | | Reply

I can relate, Amy. I’ve been on the Omnipod for 6 months and not only has my A1C gone up but I’ve gained 5lbs as well. I am really struggling these days…

6. AmyT
    AmyT December 19, 2007 at 7:30 pm | | Reply

Wow, Guys, it never occurred to me to blame it on the pump. Thanks. I thought I had just empirically proven that if you eat more & exercise less, you gain weight :o

7. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson December 19, 2007 at 11:45 pm | | Reply

Hey Amy,

Thanks for the mention.

Food is certainly complicated for many of us, with or without diabetes or other complicating factors (celiac, etc.).

I just wish I could find that balance and stop procrastinating and fight on through the tough spots. Seems like we’re always fighting with something doesn’t it?

Maybe it comes into focus more during the holiday season too. So many of our family gatherings center around food.

Ug.

8. Dave
    Dave December 20, 2007 at 6:03 am | | Reply

As my endo told me now that you use a pump in theory you can pretty much eat anything–HOWEVER, the more you eat, the more insulin you will use the more weight you will gain, because insulin is a growth hormone. It’s alright to blame the pump a little bit!!!! I do!!

9. Kelly Kunik
    Kelly Kunik December 20, 2007 at 6:15 am | | Reply

Amy -
    It could be what my Diabetes Educator calls PUMP EUPHORIA – Basically it’s when we pumpers eat more because we know we can bolus for it. Plus those of us who have been diabetics “forever,” forgot what it was like to be able to eat almost anything & then we go ape #@*^ when we can.
    I think u look great and it is the holidays after all. Keep trekking up that hill & continue to be aware.
    Also – I don’t know if your gluten intolerance issue allows for it, but I’ve been snacking on edemame or hummus and raw veggies a lot. These snacks cover the protein and are lower in fat. Still, I am always in awe at the power that a block cheese holds over me!

10. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell December 20, 2007 at 6:48 am | | Reply

Amy

This is tough stuff, especially at this time of year. Good luck with dealing with it.

And thanks for the pointer to the Scientific American article. I may go buy a copy on the newsstand just for this article.

11. Rosalind Joffe
    Rosalind Joffe December 23, 2007 at 11:08 am | | Reply

I can relate. I never had to worry about weight. Skinny as a kid, I could always drop pounds easily. When others gained on Prednisone (for ulcerative colitis), I couldn’t keep weight on. I love to cook and eat and was so grateful weight was one of the few lucky gifts my body gave me. But menopause and drugs I take for pain the side effects of Avonex (MS)changed all that and now every bite can mean a pound in the wrong direction. On the other hand, my mother, at 86, can’t keep weight on. She’s wasting away. So I just tell myself, be careful what you wish for.