AARP Asked Me to Post This

Because AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) is cooler than you think. Or at least, that’s what their new blogger Jill Greenberg claims.

I have no idea how old Jill is, but in my head, I ran screaming from her email, shouting: “I am so too young for this!” But then I regrouped and remembered, it won’t be all that long. So I ought be glad that the AARP has adopted a new(ish) motto: “Rethink 50+”

Check out their glamorous Readers’ Choice models HERE.

Interesting factoid: Did you know that with about 23 million readers, “AARP The Magazine” is the world’s largest circulation magazine? Whew. That’s a lotta fifty-plusers. Obviously, health and healthcare issues are huge for this audience, especially those already “stricken” with conditions like diabetes.

Ergo they’ve launched a new public service campaign — featuring some under-50 hotties like Ben Affleck, Reese Witherspoon, Joaquin Phoenix and Garth Brooks, plus Dakota Fanning, Morgan Freeman, Eva Mendes, and Jeremy Piven — highlighting the need for affordable, quality health care and financial security for all Americans. The home base of this campaign, which urges us to “get over the politics” and work together for the basic needs we all share, is aptly named Divided We Fail. On this well-organized site you can read the details of their platform and explore their definition of affordable healthcare.

With this all-star video campaign, the AARP’s got two powerful new allies: the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF) and the Motion Picture & Television Fund (MPTF). In fact, this promo piece is directed by actor and director Tony Goldwyn — grandson of legendary producer and EIF Founder Samuel Goldwyn — and features music composed by Philip Glass.

Nearing 50 or not, this campaign urges everyone to “let their voice be heard on the need for affordable, quality health care and peace of mind about financial security.” I’m not tellin’ you what to do or anything, but this sounds like a real PSA if I ever heard one.

1. Big_Dave_T
    Big_Dave_T December 12, 2007 at 9:11 am | | Reply

I confess that the AARP magazine is the only magazine I read regularly. Not that I agree with everything in it, but their concerns about health care are certainly valid.

I just read an article in the local paper this week about a doctor who encountered a 64-year-old woman with a breast mass so large and irregular that no biopsy was necessary. The woman was trying to postpone treatment until she could sign up for Medicare.

Then on NBC this week, I see the story about shady durable medical equipment salesmen who bilked Medicare out of $5 million for one wheelchair they claimed they sold to several elderly patients.

Don’t know what the answer is, but something’s gotta give.

2. Uncle Buck
    Uncle Buck December 12, 2007 at 9:34 am | | Reply

The AARP is an excellent example of democracy in action or rule by the largest mob. The benefits they get for their members are paid for by their members children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.
    The solution to the health care problem is not more government involvement, they are mostly the major cause of the wreck that is our current health care system.
    When Medicare was first passed it increased hospital costs by at least 30% in the first year alone based on a hospital audit I was involved in.
    It is time we worked to make health care more affordable by letting patients and doctors handle their health care.
    I am 69 and the only health care plan available to me is Medicare. I recently read that the average cost per Medicare participant is $7,000 per year with the participant paying about $1,500 of this. So we have each Medicare participant on the welfare dole for $5,500 per year.
    There are many pressure groups effecting medical care, we need someone who isn’t on the program to put forth some ideas, all we have so far is more of the same socialist programs.

3. Amanda
    Amanda December 12, 2007 at 3:51 pm | | Reply

Probably not PC to call Dakota Fanning a “hottie”. Weird.

4. Felix Kasza
    Felix Kasza December 12, 2007 at 8:37 pm | | Reply

Ironically, I recall the AARP’s own Medicare Part D plan to have been found one of the worst being offered. That was in late 2006, so it may have changed, but still ….

Cheers,
    Felix.

5. Dennis
    Dennis December 12, 2007 at 9:01 pm | | Reply

AARP used to be only for Retired ( 65+) people, but inorder to Makemore Money, they expoanding and lowered the age to 55 and now 50? Whilethe average lifespan is expanding( living 5 yrs longer ) and thus ? Who is AARP Kidding?

They sold out Medicare with aggreeing to approve the Goverments Drug Plan by Not having Medicare negociate prices

They may demand more Benefits for ‘Seniors’, the only problem is, they don’t come up with the Financial Solutions to pay for it..

Increasing The Medicare payroll tax is the Only solution..Just like they have proven in other Countries.. and Allowing Illegal’s to get benefits is just Plain Crazy..

It will be bankrupt by Yr 2020, but of course, they will let those Running Gov’t have to deal with it, as they always do..

No wonder T1′s can’t get Medicare coverage as soon as Diagnosed..and have to go try to control their disease on their own..

AARP has done nothing for helping T1′s and are a Fraudulent Organization..

6. geekgirl
    geekgirl December 12, 2007 at 11:25 pm | | Reply

The EIF also sponsors http://www.diabetesaware.com. Interesting, yes?

7. AmyT
    AmyT December 13, 2007 at 8:48 am | | Reply

Hmm, I have nothing against the EIF working to raise diabetes awareness… but on the AARP front, I’m starting to wonder if ANY of the US “advocacy” organizations really fulfill their lofty goals. *Sigh*