Hey, it’s November, National Diabetes Month! And the countdown ticks: just two more weeks until the first-ever UN sanctioned World Diabetes Day is slated to light up New York City, literally, with the illumination of the Empire State Building in diabetes-awareness blue on Nov. 14. See an official list of events around the country and around the world HERE.
Lots of people with diabetes still don’t even know about this monumental awareness campaign, so be sure to tell a friend. Here’s my unofficial list of cool stuff that’s happening around WD-Day:
* Read Kelly’s summary at Unite for Youth. She’s a 21-year-old Portland college student and a member of the Novo Nordisk International Diabetes Youth Panel. She’s also PSYCHED to be heading to NYC for the events, including a gigantic circle of blue umbrellas, entertainment, education, and of course, the Novo Nordisk Changing Diabetes World Bus Tour, on which Kelly will ride in style.
* Join the Children With Diabetes (CWD) group for the human blue circle, public march up First Avenue, Empire State Building light-up, and much more by hooking up with that group HERE.
* American Idol-finalist Elliot Yamin will be crooning. He’s also the official spokesperson for the Eli-Lilly-sponsored Inspired by Diabetes Contest, for creative PWD’s sharing their stories around the world through art, essay, poetry, photography and music.
* OK, now forget New York for a minute. Jim Graham and his team will be driving a 30-year-old Volkswagen 1,000 miles over Baja deserts in the Baja 1000, the world’s longest point-to-point off-road race. They’re doing it all for WDD and the International Diabetes Federation. See Jim’s blog on Desert Dingo Racing (with the Big D) HERE.
* The City of Chicago has chimed in with a formal WDD Proclamation. Go, Mayor Daley!
* From Australia, on the web: the so-called ‘Official Diabetes Blog‘ is spreading the WDD message through a marathon blogging stunt. They’ll be making a new post every hour, on the hour, for the full 24 hours of World Diabetes Day.
* So, who’s actually going to New York on November 14th? Gina Capone from DiabetesTalkFest is looking for some folks attending for a meetup on the UN lawn.
* Can’t make it in person? You can always pitch in by joining the email campaign to Ellen DeGeneres. Tell that Funny Lady why she needs to take up the diabetes cause!
Or for goodness’ sake — if you haven’t already — at least watch the video:
Doing something noteworthy this month for diabetes awareness? Staging a WDD happening? You can submit your event here, and be sure to let me know about it, too. Happy November, my PWD Friends.