Stand Up for Yourself

Here it is, Folks: the link to our grassroots survey about why we, the patients, believe that diabetes technology matters. Click HERE or on the hot-linked image below.

Yes_on_diabetes_tech_2

Thanks to Kelly Close of Close Concerns for putting this together, and Jeff Hitchcock of CWD for his support. I’d like to clarify that the aim here is NOT to knock Kahn or the ADA, but simply to give the patient community a chance to stand behind this statement:

“We support better reimbursement for diabetes technology and education to teach and learn the technology.”

The information gathered will be compiled and sent to insurance companies and government bodies in the form of an ad hoc research report. As Kelly notes, “Our hope is that a groundswell of support for diabetes technology will just be one more sign to the policymakers in Washington, DC, that they shouldn’t try to be cheap with patients with diabetes. We have all seen the warning signals.”

Personally, my conviction runs this way:

I didn’t ask to get diabetes. I do not enjoy struggling with it every day of my life. I do not wish to die knowing that I did not do my best to speak out on behalf of myself and all the other people out there toiling every day to avoid the short AND long-term complications of this disease.

Here’s a chance for us to act as our own best advocates. Please take a few minutes to fill out the survey, and pass the link on to every affected PWD you know.

* * *

Bloggers: Kindly post one of these icons (courtesy of Gina Capone of DiabetesTalkfest) on your site, hot-linked to the survey, to spread the word.

Supporttech2

or …

Supportdtech_2

Thank you!

1. Dmitriy Kruglyak
    Dmitriy Kruglyak November 12, 2007 at 9:28 pm | | Reply

Amy, you might also want to consider creating a badge for bloggers to promote the cause…

Stay well.

2. Lili
    Lili November 12, 2007 at 9:59 pm | | Reply

Well, I tried to take the survey, but when I clicked on “next” it says “This question requires an answer.” Except I answered all the questions.

3. Jonah
    Jonah November 13, 2007 at 4:55 am | | Reply

I did fill out that survey and I don’t feel that insurers should have to pay for pumps when comprable control- at least for those of us who do not need increments of .05- is available MDI. Not that nobody should pump, but unless they’re, say, three months old and it really offers control MDI cannot deliver, then it’s a luxury they can pay for out of pocket. My insurance does not cover pumps, and it pays 100% for my insulin and syringes and about 95% for my test strips (8 strips per day). I’m OK with that. It doesn’t cover CGMSs either.
    I think Kahn was totally off base in comparing diabetics- at least all type 1s and advanced cases of type 2- to hypertension patients. Hypertension patients can skip the medication without immediate consequences, we can’t, and that right away makes compliance a pretty different issue.
    At the same time, I think he’s right in his jibes at the pump. Not so sure about CGMS- I think that has a lot of potential. Not sure if I think insurance should have to pay for it.
    I am certain that taking my blood sugar helps me, but the meters are so fucking inaccurate that sometimes I wanna break them. I’m in a study where they have me test on two meters same drop of blood, and I’m seeing discrepencies of over 20% on a regular basis, and yesterday I got simul readings of 69 and 109.
    And I think that the argument that type 2s who are not adjusting doses don’t need to test their blood sugar every day is pretty strong- that’s what the A1c is for, plus doing it for the week before seeing the doc might just be plenty if that’s the only time that doses get adjusted.

4. Joanna
    Joanna November 13, 2007 at 5:41 am | | Reply

I wish that I could test my blood sugar only 8 times a day what a luxury that would be ! It would be like a vacation indeed. Having had type 1 for 31 years if it where not for the insulin pump frankly I would not be here. Your right Amy at the age of 12 diabetes was not in my vocabulary. And it was not something on my top 10 wish list. In fact dia what ?! In 1976 all there was available was beef & pork insulins. No blood meters, no pumps, no A1c’s. So to me blood meters are a god sent as testing your urine only told you what was happening 4 hours ago not in 5 seconds or so. With the introduction of Apidra insulin for the first time in years I can now feel when my blood sugars are getting low before I couldnt and yes that is a big deal for me when my lively hood depends on it as I would not be able to drive for a living. In the 31 years in the diabetes world I have seen things come and go. Plus there are always going to be people who have the attitude that even though they do not live with diabetes 24/7 they will always know more than those who live with it.

5. Sara
    Sara November 13, 2007 at 5:51 am | | Reply

Done! Thanks!

6. Dave
    Dave November 13, 2007 at 6:03 am | | Reply

Lili- I have to say I disagree with you on insurance companies paying for pumps. If you have never used a pump then you do not have any idea what you are talking about. Pumps offer much more refined control than daily injections. They are more convenient to use and most people who use them need that kind of control. Not to mention the 3000 or so shots that I would have to administer myself over a years time if I was using needles just doesn’t work for me. If your insurance does not cover pumps get new insurance. Having the insurance company pay for a pump is hardly a luxury. It should be considered an investment because for all the type 1′s that take care of themselves now means they won’t be costing the insurance company tons of money later on for complications cause by poor BG control. That is something people could say “why should the insurance company pay for a diabetics mismanagement of their disease?” I don’t think that would go over too well!!

7. Penny
    Penny November 13, 2007 at 6:14 am | | Reply

Amy,

Thanks for letting us know about this. I filled out the survey and I will post about this and link to the survey later today.

The pump has been a wonderful tool for my son. He went on it when he was 3. Because it is impossible to draw up tiny doses of insulin in a syringe, we often had to let him run high. Because we couldn’t give insulin to bring him down. If we gave the smallest amount you can give in a syringe it would have been too much and he would have gone low.

The pump is the best thing that has happened to my son since he got this disease. But, because he’s on the pump, he needs his sugars monitored more closely. He checks his sugar anywhere from 10-12 times a day.

8. Andre
    Andre November 13, 2007 at 12:55 pm | | Reply

I will definitely be checking out the survey and I agree that a badge would help to promote – I’d be all for that!

9. AmyT
    AmyT November 13, 2007 at 1:09 pm | | Reply

Hi Andre and Dmitriy,

The badges appear right there in the post. If you need any help getting them onto your site, send me an email.

And Joanna, I’m nearly as insulin sensitive as your little boy, so ditto for me on the pump as a life-saver.

Thanks All!

10. Lili
    Lili November 13, 2007 at 2:43 pm | | Reply

Dave, I think you mean Jonah.

11. Lili
    Lili November 13, 2007 at 4:46 pm | | Reply

Here’s the problem with the survey – Question 2 says “check all that apply” but if you check more than one, it says you didn’t complete the question.

12. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell November 13, 2007 at 5:49 pm | | Reply

Jonah

I have to agree with Dave. I blogged about this survey today. Before starting on a pump I was using MDI for YEARS without much success. And I couldn’t really exercise while on MDI.

Since starting on the pump, life has been a lot easier.

If you’ve not used the technology, then I don’t think you can truly judge the benefits (and disadvantages) of it.

13. Joanna
    Joanna November 14, 2007 at 2:57 pm | | Reply

Andre,
    Im sorry I do not have any childern just my four legged one : )

14. Rosalind Joffe
    Rosalind Joffe November 14, 2007 at 3:03 pm | | Reply

I don’t have Diabetes but I think that any blogger with any chronic illnness should post this — and I did. It’s so easy to feel powerless — why not do SOMETHING that has voice to it?