On D-Blog Day, Recentering

Well hello there, it’s me. I’ve been busy reporting a lot of news lately, which has been immensely stimulating, to say the least. But today, on the occasion of the 3rd Annual D-Blog Day, I’d like to take a moment to reflect and recenter. Why do diabetes blogs matter? What was the reason that I started this I started this blog in the first place?

Ah yes, in small part because I do not know how to relax (it’s a curse), and in large part because I got this disease, and I felt a compulsion to do SOMETHING about it.

DblogdayBecause I knew I couldn’t be the only one blindsided by diagnosis, sitting home on the couch feeling so immeasurably alone… or searching the Internet at night and wondering, where are the OTHER PEOPLE? The Others who know how to live with this thing? Because there must be others picturing a “rest of my life” full of medical vials and hospital hallways, unending syringes and knowing you’re a “flawed” human being. That’s how it felt right after diagnosis, anyway. Kinda black. VERY alone.

What I decided to do was start writing to them, all the Others, who must be out there somewhere according to the ADA. I could try learning everything about diabetes — anything at all that might make life better — and report back to the Others on a web site.

That was January of 2005. New software had just come out allowing anybody to create an online journal they could update any time. The idea that this “blog” thing could really be accessible to millions of people was too much to take in. Costanoa_3

So I built one, and I began to write. And They came. They gave me tips. They argued with me. They said thank you. As sappy as it sounds, a few of them actually made me cry.

Fast forward to November 2007. It’s a regular thing now. I post nearly every day. My site hosts advertisers. I spend an absurd amount of time on the web, for a mother of three. I attend several “industry events” each year, and make small talk with “insiders.” People send me news tips and requests to reprint my material and pleas for help. It’s all very time-consuming, but it gives me a strong sense of purpose.

I’m happily surrounded by hundreds of other D-bloggers (300 of us now?), who form a community, sharing our fears, frustrations, and triumphs. We even have special meeting places on the web where we can post photos, enjoy audio content, and much more.

I’ve learned a ton, but I am still no doctor. I’m still just watching with wonder as this online technology creates a dynamic new world of patient interaction. I remain an exceptionally curious patient with a compulsion to do something for people with diabetes. Thank you, for listening.

1. sara m
    sara m November 9, 2007 at 8:03 am | | Reply

Dear Amy,

Oh NO, it is we who must THANK YOU for writing! You are always presenting cogent, timely, interesting,engaging material and information. I am very, VERY grateful to you.

2. Colleen
    Colleen November 9, 2007 at 8:17 am | | Reply

Thank you for blogging, and introducing me to the many who blog about diabetes.

3. Allison
    Allison November 9, 2007 at 11:12 am | | Reply

You rock my socks, Amy Tenderich!

::muah!::

4. Kerri.
    Kerri. November 9, 2007 at 11:29 am | | Reply

You’re among the first I ever found – you and Violet and Tek and Scott.

What a long way we’ve come. :)

5. Jillian
    Jillian November 9, 2007 at 11:53 am | | Reply

Amy,

I am here to say thank you. You were the first diabetes blog I read. You inspired me and I am sure countless others. Happy D-Blog Day!

6. Allison
    Allison November 9, 2007 at 12:23 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,

Thanks for all you do for the D-blog community! I’m using today to delurk!
    :o ) Allison

7. Hannah
    Hannah November 9, 2007 at 2:29 pm | | Reply

AmyT–you rock, and really you’re part of the reason I started all of this. You were one of the first d-blogs I found, then I found others through you, then I started my own. Keep up the good work…you keep me smiling AND informed. :)

Happy Blogday!

8. Adam
    Adam November 9, 2007 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

Amy,

Yours was the first diabetes blog I read. Yours was also the first blog I read. Many
    more to come!

Happy D-blog-day,

Adam

9. Mandy
    Mandy November 9, 2007 at 3:17 pm | | Reply

Amy,
    You are and amazing presence in the D community. You were one of the first blogs I found and I have learned so much from you. You have made me laugh out loud at work, and inspired me to learn to live a better D-life. THANKS!!

Happy D-blog Day!

10. In Search Of Balance
    In Search Of Balance November 9, 2007 at 4:15 pm | | Reply

You’re appreciated. Your voice is almost always one of the first to find proactive ways to better diabetes care and the way patients are viewed. Thank you for all your hard work and your honesty.

11. sarah chamberlain
    sarah chamberlain November 9, 2007 at 4:52 pm | | Reply

You have been a lifesaver as I learn from you young writers
    (and Kerri M) how to support my
    daughter, Coki, diagnosed last year. It makes a big dif…so keep at it. THANKS, grateful mum

12. Sara
    Sara November 9, 2007 at 7:20 pm | | Reply

Thank YOU for listening, and for writing.

Side note – it was not until yesterday that I realized that the site was Diabetes Mine (as in a place of a lot of information) and not just Diabetes Mine (as in not yours).

Yeah, so details sometimes escape me! ;)

13. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell November 9, 2007 at 7:38 pm | | Reply

Amy

Happy D-blog day

Thank you for the charmr and other things that you’ve brought about.

14. Christine
    Christine November 9, 2007 at 11:11 pm | | Reply

Happy D-Blog Day!

15. Amylia
    Amylia November 9, 2007 at 11:58 pm | | Reply

happy d-blog day, amy.
    i’m glad you’re out there with this awesome blog filled with amazing information. thanks for all you do, and all that you are.

16. Lili
    Lili November 10, 2007 at 12:08 am | | Reply

Happy D-Blog Day!

17. Jeff
    Jeff November 10, 2007 at 5:24 am | | Reply

Glad you’re out there, Amy. DM is a great resource for a whole bunch of folks.

18. Andre
    Andre November 10, 2007 at 8:59 am | | Reply

Thanks Amy! Soooo glad that social media is making its way into affecting the daily health of people!

19. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson November 11, 2007 at 2:01 pm | | Reply

Amy – your skills as a writer and journalist have taken this blog a LONG way. We’re all very proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself.

You are a great resource for all of us, and I really appreciate all that you do.

Thank you!

20. gina
    gina November 11, 2007 at 3:32 pm | | Reply

Amy,

happy belated d-blog day, and thank you for every single post you have made. It has made a difference in many lives~

Gina

21. Chrissie in Belgium
    Chrissie in Belgium November 12, 2007 at 3:10 am | | Reply

Amy, sorry for taking so long….. I feel like a total knuckle head! Anyhow Happy D-Blog Day Amy. Thank you for being out there!

22. Dentists Houston