A Couple of Winners

Hooray for readers! I hear a lot from you all, but don’t often get a chance to put faces with names.

But now two of the winners of our recent “Code Word for Low” contest have been kind enough to share photos of themselves with their extraordinary prizes (those Tshirts :)

Rich Willett of Estero, FL

Rich_w_fl

Winning entry: his vision of SuperBowl commercials featuring hypoglycemic comedians writhing on the floor yelling “LOW!”

Note: I wished for Rich to be off those crutches soon, and you know what he told me? He had polio as a child, and has been on those things since 1951! Despite this and his diabetes and coronary artery disease, he still considers himself in great shape. Glad you’re feeling well — and lookin’ good, Rich.

and Karen Spangler of Knoxville, TN

Karen_s_w_sign

Winning entry: “Code Orange Juice!”

Note: Karen was in the middle of graduate school a few years ago when she was diagnosed. She’s currently a social worker, but would like to eventually become a CDE. Go, Karen!

Thanks for stepping out this issue, guys. We know that hypoglycemia / insulin shock can be ugly, but it’s also good sometimes to make fun of your biggest fears. Takes the edge off. So stick around for more laughs ;)

1. Karen S.
    Karen S. November 29, 2007 at 6:57 am | | Reply

I just wanted to say that the picture of Karen S. looks GREAT! And if anyone lives in TN and has any job connections for a Marriage and Family Therapist ask Amy to give you my e-mail! And if I get an stalkers out of this comment…FUN! :-)

LOL…I feel famous Amy. This is my 5 seconds of fame! WAHOO! If anyone wants my autograph just let me know.

2. Albert
    Albert November 29, 2007 at 7:05 am | | Reply

Where can the rest of us non-winners get those shirts?
    you could just put it on CafePress like Kerri does =P

3. AmyT
    AmyT November 29, 2007 at 7:15 am | | Reply

Hi Albert,

The T-shirts are indeed available at Cafe Press. See http://www.cafepress.com/dbmine

Best,
    Amy

4. Albert
    Albert November 29, 2007 at 8:01 am | | Reply

uh oh, the ball’s in my court now. hehe.

5. Jeff
    Jeff November 29, 2007 at 11:50 am | | Reply

Congratulations and “thumbs up” to you, Karen.

Hey Rich! Estero? That’s my territory. Maybe I’ll bump into you at a ‘Blades game sometime?

6. RichW
    RichW November 29, 2007 at 12:33 pm | | Reply

Hey Jeff! Or maybe Starbucks. Just checked your site. I’ll visit often.

7. Michelle
    Michelle November 29, 2007 at 4:48 pm | | Reply

oh my I feel special. I KNOW Karen..(said ala Buddy the Elf) I KNOW HER!!!!

way to go winners.

8. LeLyne
    LeLyne November 29, 2007 at 6:27 pm | | Reply

Yay karen! I’m so proud of you and how you have handled your diabetes…i remember when you were diagnosed and how difficult it was, but you always always went through it with the confidence that God was still working…I love you dearly!

9. Cesar
    Cesar December 5, 2007 at 10:57 am | | Reply

Congrats winners!! :) (I wish I could win) lol :)

10. Johnny Spangler
    Johnny Spangler December 13, 2007 at 5:49 pm | | Reply

Hay ,Karen this is your Father-in-law Pops! I got my puter working an I see you are famous! As you know your Mother-in-law Diann is a diabet an soon will be getting a specalist which happens to be yours also.I am very proud of my daughter=in law you have really handled being a diabetic wonderfully.Ps:We love you!