The Stinging Cost of Glucose Test Strips

A number of you took the opportunity on the LifeScan “cringer” discussion here to point out how insanely expensive glucose test strips are. Bravo! There is no doubt we get gouged on these things, which cost about a dollar apiece (!) and most of us — at least most Type 1 diabetics — use an average of 10-12 per day. I’m crappy at math, but my Casio calculator tells me that’s about $4,000/year for the strips alone. WtF?

Unhappy_finger_2 It is quite true that most glucose meter companies (literally or practically) give away their meters for free, knowing full well that we patients will become hooked on a steady supply of their proprietary test strips.

According to D-industry consultant David Kliff, the actual cost of manufacturing a test strip is only about 8 to 12 cents. But the R&D, logistics, quality testing and packaging costs jack up the price. Still, the vendors make about a 60-80% profit on each box, or possibly even higher, Kliff says. Yikes!

In my book, it’s a slap in the face to the millions of people suffering from diabetes (and its financial burden) that the industry refuses to together to create a standard universal test strip that can be used in any meter. I’m thinking in terms of the technology industry, which created USB cables, storage disks, and CD-ROMs that consumers can use with devices from any manufacturer. But Kliff reminds me that the tech industry had a financial motive: all the vendors could sell more devices using USB and CDs, whereas pharma vendors reap their rewards from selling the strips themselves, not the testing devices.

The US market for diabetic patient monitoring systems is expected to reach $9.1 Billion by 2010. Current market leader Roche Diagnostics makes a whopping $1Billion gross annual profit from its diabetes division alone, with the majority of that money coming from disposable supplies like test strips.

Ugh! We are literally bleeding out that money…

Why would these vendors care to share their intellectual property, when they’re profiting so nicely from it? They’ve all created “meter families” that utilize one branded test strip (like Accu-Check or FreeStyle), but they’ve successfully managed to get us consumers focused on the glucose meter as the key differentiator. In fact, whether a test requires a smaller blood sample or is faster mainly depends on the technology in the test strip itself, Kliff says.

And with just a small tweak, almost every meter could be set up to do without that annoying coding, Kliff adds, but the vendors are rolling out the “no coding” technology slowly, to create some big buzz among us consumers, … “like new Tide with Bleach.”

Their R&D efforts are focused on chipping away at the price of manufacturing the strips — which are churned out by the billions on printing-press like machines somewhere in Asia. If they can knock off just one cent of their cost per strip, they can save billions. Presumably, there’s no intention to pass these savings on to patients.

Meanwhile, those of us who can’t really afford the hundreds of dollars per month for strips are simply going without testing, or cutting corners by snipping the test strips in half, and other tricks that make for dubious — and dangerous — testing results. Ugh.Blood_money_2

I haven’t got an answer to this problem. But I intend to start lobbying for more affordable test strips right now. Today. With this post.

Meanwhile, a few sources on purchasing test strips at somewhat-less-painful prices:

* eBay test strip buying tips

* Wal-Mart pharmacy

* Long discussion thread on About.com/diabetes

* More talk and recommendations at Google Groups

* Comparison shopping at Become.com

Other suggestions?

Come on, Diabetes Community, let’s start making some collective noise here.

1. teri
    teri October 15, 2007 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

try shopwiki.com

i’ll post some more if i think of it later…

1. Migdalia Molina
      Migdalia Molina December 6, 2011 at 8:44 am | | Reply

I will say that i have been blessed. I have the Prodigy glucose Meter and its great, the other thing i like is that my insurance covers the meter and the test strips. The test strips are very cheap for the high quality. These strips are made her in charlotte nc. I would recommend this company to anyone.

2. Chris Franklin
      Chris Franklin March 26, 2012 at 2:25 am | | Reply

Know this is a 5 year old post, but I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of test-strip pricing, AmyT.

Slap in the face, kick in the groin, we’re getting it.

I sometimes think that my fellow Type 1s and me are human livestock of a sort. We have no direct defense against getting “milked” or “sheered” as we endeavor to stay alive.

Anyway, will be thinking of you when positive change is made in our favors

3. Thomas
      Thomas July 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm | | Reply

10-12 test strips a day????? Are you kidding????? I have been a Type 1 for 34 years and the most I’ll ever use in a month is 200 but the number is more like 150. I use lantus and novolog on a sliding scale. I tried a cgm and it wasn’t for me but my A1C’s are 6.1-6.2. If you are in good control 200 will more than cover “reasonable” amounts of testing.

1. jim snell
        jim snell July 28, 2012 at 1:14 am | | Reply

Ah – how nice that the data and problems that Thomas is looking at are slow long term data and thus number of test strips can be kept low.

If one is watching real time events to catch intestine/gut glucose is running out and one has to catch and add snacks before sub 100 so liver kept out of loop at Doctors orders to prevent massive glucose add by faulty system, one can only check with more strips or miss events.

It is most frustrating to see such lack of understanding that NOT all diabetes issues are the same.

Yes I would love to have same capability as writer but I do not and request write not be so intolerant and because he has no real time control events he is driving, everybody should be the same.

2. Sam Atieh
    Sam Atieh October 16, 2007 at 5:22 am | | Reply

Is there a way to contact a manufacturer in China to make a cheaper test strips? Would that be a solution?

Sam

3. Rob S.
    Rob S. October 17, 2007 at 1:01 pm | | Reply

With regard to Felix’s comment, standards don’t have to mean we settle for the least common denominator. Standards are why we have decent web browsers and why we are able to enjoy wi-fi from place to place with the same laptop. Not having standards in place is why when I get a new mobile phone, I have to check if it is iSync compatible.

4. rob
    rob October 19, 2007 at 2:15 pm | | Reply

If the cost of test strips and the pin pricks is so high here in north America, then how would one be able to fight this epidemic on a world-wide basis.

Not everyone has isurance in the rest of the world.

The cost of even controlling the type II is unbelievably high for someone with limited means.

For most individuals this is not the only thing to worry about as diabetes spreads out its many fangs like an octopus.

5. Dan
    Dan April 22, 2008 at 12:12 pm | | Reply

The problem is not with the manufactureres, it stems from insurance companies. All health cost problems come from them. They dictate the cost of everything from emergency room care to, yes, test strips. Most diabetics with good coverage don’t even think about the cost of strips because they are covered by their policies. The problem arises when the uninsured have to purchase supplies. We have to buy at a retail rate but the insurance companies, who have much more bargaining power with the manufacturers, arte able to buy wholesale. It’s not health care anymore, it’s simply big business. Unfortunately, the uninsured always suffer because of it.
    The rich get richer and the poor stay poor (and unable to stay healthy).

6. wood
    wood May 26, 2008 at 2:30 pm | | Reply

That is total BS Dan, The drug companies dictate the price of the Test strips; especially the ones that are public stock companies. Have a brother in Law who has worked in the Pharma industry for years, he has worked with Baxter,Bausch & Lomb, Norvartis AG & now works for a private concern but still in Pharma in Brussels. He has told me the mark up for North America is 65-80% for testing supplies.
    That they do indeed still make the “older” other test meters & ship them to poorer countries & they still make $$$ off of them. He says the unit cost after manufacture is around 7-10 cents depending on the series. All of these things are patented.However he says you probably won’t see a generic meter even when the patent runs out cause the marketing divisions of these same companies will push whatever is the latest & the greatest onto the American public & the AMA. Its all about making PROFIT$$ and return on investment on the patents.

7. Tamerama
    Tamerama May 28, 2008 at 11:22 pm | | Reply

So it turns out my mom was cutting back on her budget! found out her test strips were not fun to buy…. I have spent the evening trying to find her a cheaper place so that I can buy them for her an came across this site. I want to share with everyone that its not worth going without! She is in the hospital just got out of ICU today has been there since sunday. she decided to only test when she did not feel right..
    This is a woman who still goes out with her girlfriends for lunch, pays into the local church an has no insurance an does not qualify for medicaid…. She also has no problem paying for cable tv, her cell phone and her weight watchers membership?
    I think it is great that you voice our Nations concern about the cost of test strips an how IMPORTANT they are to MONITOR ones health to the point of LIFE or DEATH for many. It should be just as easy to to get help with test strips for the uninsured or the diabetics who cant sacrifice there cable bill – etc as it is to go into planned parenthood an get condems or birth control or the food bank.
    I have many more examples but you get the point I am sure..
    PLEASE IF THERE IS ANYONE THAT LOVES YOU DO THEM A FAVOR AN
    KEEP TESTED! IF YOUR ELECTRIC OR GAS GETS SHUT OFF OR IF YOU ARE OUT OF FOOD YOU WILL FIND A WAY THROUGH FRIENDS FAMILY OR COMMUNITY OFFICE FOR ASSISTANCE…. YOUR TEST STRIPS SHOULD BE THAT IMPORTANT AN IF YOUR NOT LOOKING FOR HELP IT WILL NEVER BE ADDRESSED that is how your community programs for assistance were developed your food banks the planned parenthoods.

8. isac
    isac June 25, 2008 at 11:29 pm | | Reply

There is exciting technology being developed to test blood glucose levels without a blood stick. It’s different than the Glocon and Glucowatch approach.

This would be like a PulseOx model where your finger goes in and the blood glucose level is displayed in seconds on the screen.

no stick, no strip

I hope it comes to the market soon.

9. Ravidas Raj
    Ravidas Raj November 19, 2008 at 10:58 pm | | Reply

I get my One touch ultra test strips from local
    Diabetes supplies
    store. They cost $5 less than ordering online for me.

10. Ravidas Raj
    Ravidas Raj November 19, 2008 at 11:03 pm | | Reply

I get my one touch ultra test strips from local
    Diabetes Supplies
    store. They cost $5 less compare to other chain stores for me.

11. Ravidas Raj
    Ravidas Raj November 19, 2008 at 11:03 pm | | Reply

I get my one touch ultra test strips from local
    Diabetes Supplies
    store. They cost $5 less compare to other chain stores for me.

12. BloodySweet!
    BloodySweet! January 7, 2009 at 4:08 pm | | Reply

Hi: I loved this article. I checked out a couple of the links you offed. I’m not sure I would be interested in buying on ebay but I’m pretty sure most of those are coupon and rebaters reselling the items they get for free or nearly free.

I did want to share a website that I found searching the net because I was desperate. Normally my Accu-check strips are about $108 for 100 plus tax!! Even Walmarts charges $97. So since I do not have insurance, I went looking and I found http://www.healthwarehouse.com. I got 100 strips for $51, then I found an online coupon code that reduced that to $47. the best part is that the shipping was completely free. (the order arrived in about 9 days so order accordingly.)

Another thing I do Is peruse for FREE meter kits. Last sundays paper had coupons for One touch meters… but ONE TOUCH does not include strips at all. They include lancets, but no strips. Rite aid has their little cutie that fits right on the strip bottle (True2go)for $14.99 and their is a peelie on the box for $10 off and inside there is a $4.99 rebate. It does come with strips and lancets but no control solution.

I’m not “officially” diagnosed since I do not have insurance. However 2 hours after lunch one day my brother (68 years old) who has trouble with his glucose and has a meter tested me. The number was 282!! About a week later he tested me 3 hours after dinner and again the numbers were high. So I got my own meter. I’ve mananged to keep it below 200 for the most part, and my averages are coming down slowly, but I’m pretty sure I have type2.

Needless to say the medical industry is charging way too much for their products. I wonder what these same materials would cost in Canada or Mexico. Greedy Bastages.

Thanks for listening…. wish me luck!

13. Mike Mc
    Mike Mc August 14, 2009 at 8:17 am | | Reply

I have read the comments here and feel we have to unite on this. I am calling my congressman today and e-mailing OBAMA. He wants to reduce healt care costs..let him start here

14. Susan
    Susan December 3, 2009 at 11:26 am | | Reply

I picked up my control strips yesterday and was give a form which I am to put the date, time and my blood sugars. I am to bring in this form each time I want them. I only test 2 times per day. Yet I am to give my private info to the pharmacy which will give it to insurance?
    I have just been told that this info is for Medicare.
    I do not think this is right.

15. Pete
    Pete January 25, 2010 at 8:20 am | | Reply

The strips are expensive because insurance companies pay for them. They should stop paying, then the prices will be forced down to a point where people can afford them themselves.

16. pprometheus
    pprometheus March 4, 2010 at 11:57 am | | Reply

we need someone in electronics who can make a circuit board strip and gold plate the copper so we can have a re-usable strips, so we can teach the greedy sharks a billion dollar lesson.

17. Mike Marcus
    Mike Marcus March 18, 2010 at 5:26 pm | | Reply

This year we changed over to a pay as you go Health Insurance Plan and I finally found out the real cost for test strips. My wife is a type 1 extremely brittle diabetic who needs to tests 10 times a day in order to keep her glucose under control. We were shocked to find out that the actual cost to us is over 1$ per strip (~4000$/yr). The cost to manufacture can not be more than a few pennies a strip in the volumes that are produced. Regardless of who is making the huge profits the cost is not affordable by most of the population of the USA.
    Based on this pricing many diabetics will forgo testing to save some money so they can live. The result of not testing will most likely result in poorer health and a greater cost to society.

What can we do as a group to put pressure on the Pharmaceutical Companies/Insurance Companies/Distributers to take some social responsibility and make this much more affordable?
    Can we get the government to help?

18. Barbie Hawyer
    Barbie Hawyer May 11, 2010 at 8:13 pm | | Reply

My husband and I were both laid off 3 months ago. I have been on the insulin pump for 15 years and IDDM for 40. I am checking 10-12 times a day and am now unable to buy my strips due to having no insurance. I have about 5 boxes left but those will be gone in no time. We have no children at home so I am unable to get medicaid. Anyone have any ideas? I use the one touch ultra test strips which work with my pump. It is very scary. Thanks, Barbie

1. JOE
      JOE March 6, 2012 at 9:02 pm | | Reply

Hey Barbie: I see this is an old post, but I have just discovered it .I have been a type 1 for almost 40years. I can’t beleive that we are being charged like this. It is almost like the powers that be wan’t us to die. The corruption and greed is beyond comprehension. I am trying to find solutions. I wish you the best and keep
      up the fight. Joe.

1. deb
        deb May 30, 2012 at 1:33 am | | Reply

Reli-On almart brand makes a wonderful meter like the one touch with strips for about 30-40 cents.
        i am at a loss though, what these manufacturers are doing, and yes I blame them because they are the ones who cut deals with insurance companies regarding coverage and reimbursement. I am on the Omnipod insulin pump, which i love (with some reservations). it’s integrated meter/doser requires the freestyle strip which is about $1.30 per strip retail. The manufacturer had the option at the beginning to create a device which would accept multiple types of strips, but chose a proprietary one instead–nice deal for them and Abbott, but crappy for the rest of us.

19. Frank
    Frank June 26, 2010 at 10:09 pm | | Reply

Great News!!! A new test strip will begin being maketed in the 3rd quarter 2010 and the strip will cost 50% less than strips on the market now. It has been cleared by the FDA and WILL NOT be manufactured overseas. It will be produced by a major pharmecutical company located in the midwest. These strips will save diabetic patients from ever having to “ration” glucose testing. Check the link below.

20. jim snell
    jim snell December 31, 2010 at 10:52 am | | Reply

Letters here beg question – what the devil is the ADA – american diabetic association doing for us besides nothing. These disgraceful larcenous strip prices are a disgrace when diabetes is ramping out of control and becoming major health issue in America.

Bare minimum for me is 16 strips a day. My logging software says 34 strips a day trying to catch lows and underruns. I am type 2
    diabetic and have nasty liver where dawn effect used to be 238 to 258 in am ( midnight was 100) and emergency glucose add by liver ( when BS drops sub 70) is 278 to 311.

Its not just the original vendors that are issue but drugstores etc.
    I try and buy mail order at 22 to 35 dollars a tub of 50. Walk into
    my local drugstore and it ranges from $60 to $77 per tub of 50 plus the god dam california sales tax.

Prices are unacceptable. Maybe we need antitrust congressional action to stop the larceny.

21. Anonymous Commenter
    Anonymous Commenter July 23, 2011 at 8:14 am | | Reply

I just feel like saying this, but it may not even be published because it is “anti-establishment”.

I happened upon this site because I was searching for some way to get less expensive pieces of paper that work in my meter. That is really all they are after all. Ink and paper with special printing. Maybe a little special something in the makeup of the particular paper….just saying. We all know the real cost is way, way less than what we are being charged and markup is astronomical simply because they “can”. I know they need to make some profit, but this current level is ridiculous.

How about taking the focus off being charged the ridiculous price of $1+ for a tiny piece of paper and focus on a cure? Even if there was a real cure for diabetes, it would be shut down or silenced by big business because there is too much money to be made off of keeping us “sick”. Millions of steadily-increasing dollars in profit and thousands of jobs in the industry would be lost. Sort of like adding addictive elements to foods and then wondering why so many people are so obese and unable to detox & get healthier. Greed is the root of it all.

I’m trying everything I cant to get healthier and none of the methods I’m interested in make any single entity much money. It’s no surprise they are dismissed. I don’t know if it will work, but what I’m trying right now is the 30 day raw food method by Gabriel Cousins. I wont put a link to it because I don’t know if it works or not as I’m still attempting to do it myself ( and it IS VERY hard to stick to in this world of addictive processed foods) but it’s under “raw for 30″ if you care to look for yourself.

The way I see it, big pharma/insurance/govt/healthcare want us is fat, sick and dependent daily on medications/supplies they create and sell to us for as little cost as possible and as high profit as possible to line each other’s pockets. They charge us what they can get away with and the systems are all woven tightly together. And we are playing right into their spiderweb like accepting little flies.

*stepping off my soapbox*

22. poked
    poked October 13, 2011 at 1:15 am | | Reply

I see these ads all over the internet “WE WILL BUY YOUR TEST STRIPS” for people that can’t afford to buy them. I want to know what organization these people are with and how to get the cheaper test strips that they buy?? Is that legit? Does anyone know??

23. JOE
    JOE February 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm | | Reply

I have had type 1 diabetes for almost 40 years. My diabetes has been getting harder and harder to control. I have one of the first ( I think) earliest home glucose monitoring machines from 1981. to my knowledge it was cheaper to ckeck you’re blood sugar back than then is now. A ipod is cheaper now then it was 6 years ago because of demand. Anyone with a brain can figure out that we are being goughed. We are not talking about used tires. We are talking about the ability to exist. I need to test about 10 to 12 times a day because I don’t know where i will be. I can.t afford these prices. My deductilble is so high that I can’t even afford the basic things I need to exist. Insulin is about 105$ dollars a vial. and I can use up to 215 units a day. I am not extremely overweight, I work everyday, get a paycheck, but it seems that the powers that be want me to die and go away.I ask you. What is the difference between giving someone a crack pipe and waiting for them to buy the product, or giving them meters annd waing for the poor SOB’s to buy the strips?

24. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell February 27, 2012 at 5:56 am | | Reply

I recently had to buy some Bayer Contour strips at a pharmacy, because I’d left my other meter at home. I got 50 strips for about $62, ouch. I know several companies are making strips that are closer to $0.60 each, when are the big companies going to follow suit?

25. jim snell
    jim snell February 27, 2012 at 6:08 am | | Reply

Price of strips are a disgrace. Do not forget AMerivan Diabetes Wholesale as well as amazon.

The ADA collects millions but does crap over shinola over it.

This is the most disgracefull issue.

I have use dup to 30 strips a day before opting to CGMS and use 10 strips a day.

Its one thing when ones body is more or less running rationally.

If one has liver dumps and other issues, anything less than 10 strips a day is a farce. Medicare should be shot as well..

I am on insulin as well.

When we are serious about solving diabetes – type 2 – 85% of problem and type one – 15 % , we will see the price of strips will be rational rather than rip off ville.

I believe the ADA should lose its tax free status and all folks should not ship them any money till this is solved.

26. G is for Greed - Diabetes Daily Voices

[...] But for Lifescan (a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson) their blood glucose test strips have been on the market since at least 1995. Given they own a substantial part of the test strip market, they are making a huge amount of profit on these test strips. For some idea of the math involved see an earlier post on this topic from Amy Tenderich. [...]

27. Linda Hoffmann
    Linda Hoffmann June 3, 2012 at 7:47 pm | | Reply

My own Dr. told me that diabetes cld not be cured/reversed. My numbers were in the 200s. I was so sick – and angry – and desperate. Somehow, I managed to start a garden, ate mostly raw veggies thru the summer, and lost a lot of wt. In 2010 my A1C went down to 6
    . In 2011 it was at 7 – not bad, but not as good as i knew I cld do… I had to move out of state 8 mos. ago and my good eating habits went by the wayside. Lots of stress, etc., etc., etc. Rough times. I had lots of ‘good’ excuses…but needless to say, my numbers were back up. My eyesight has been seriously damaged, but again, I’ve been able to start a new garden (w/a lot of stumbling and falling!) And though my new Dr. doesn’t seem to think I can do it, I’m determined to get my blood sugar under control – again. I CAN do this. It’s not easy, but it IS doable. I did it twice. Like so many others, I cannot afford the test strips. I’m ABSOLUTELY convinced that our government is operating under a “population control’ .mindset. The ‘concern’ that they voice about this pandemic of diabetes is BS. Pure BS. Even if BObama’s own daughters became diabetic, he cld easily afford the test strips, so that wd not impact the rest of us who have to make choices to either pay bills, buy food, or purchase test strips. It’s a sad, sad fact that diabetics are considered a burden to society – we’re ‘in the way’. Govt. and Big Pharm want our money and then they want us dead. Our only recourse is to try to get healthy on our own. Make ‘em hate us even more! Diabetic MEDS are just as dangerous as the disease itself. There ARE no ‘CURES’ – other than our own determination. Yes, breaking the addiction to packaged/canned and other processed food IS hard – but DOABLE. I now eat only what grows in my garden. First I eliminated stuff – white foods (rice, bread, potatoes, any and all pastries and other ‘junk food’) – which helped ‘detox’ my system. Did that for abt 2 weeks. I rarely,
    eat meat now – but sometimes tuna, sometimes chicken. NO soft-drinks – diet or other – no more coffee. I did supplement my ‘diet’ (aka: lifestyle change) w/Magnesium and Chromium-Picolinate. That’s a start. Pls try it yourself. It works. If nothing else, it IMPROVES your existing condition. Some might say I sound cynical. Gee, ya think??!!

P,S. I’m a 67 yr old, single female, on a fixed income, living alone (key word: LIVING). Eating healthier, i feel less sick/less tired. I’m living ‘small’, but LIVING!

1. Thomas
      Thomas June 25, 2012 at 6:21 am | | Reply

Since you are on Medicare you should get medicare supplement insurance. I have no idea why you are blaming Obama, since the proposed healthcare bill, if allowed to stand, won’t affect you at all. The US pays more than all the other countries in the civilzed world because the republicans in the House always vote price controls down and the drug companys use the US taxpayers for their R & D costs since all other nations have price controls.

1. jim snell
        jim snell June 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm | | Reply

Well; I do thank you for responding but I find your assumption that your facts and problems define my situation to be unfortunate. This is a major issue when dealing with diabetes.

First off; I do ahve supplement plans as well – always have. They do not pay for much albeit all help is appreciated.

The assumption my body is mostly working an donly off a littel and a small amount of strips is needed. exactly what drives me nuts.

Most folks can rely on their liver properly adding glucose service when sub 70. Mine does not and does a full liver dump to 511 and slides back to 311.

My doctor had me monitor my BG and stop it going sub 100. On strips alone; that is tricky.

On cgms it is manageable.

OK now I need strips as follows ( CGMS no good for dosing)

2 strips a day for calibration and wandering ocrrection per manufacturer.

3 dose test strips – 3 meals and 1 for late night lantus.

Each time I need to replace sensor every 7 days , unit is out of service for 2 hours which I need to watch my BG every 1/2 hour – 4 strips.

A number of times not withstanding on my old body a reading will show 220 on one finger and 160 on another finger on the other hand. I just wasted another strip.

The blood is not standard and fully avaeraged out like a token ring loading aprroach but rather like ethernet with liver/gut, lungs all stuffing every thin on and only after banging around by heart is all new loaded constituents fully mixed and can result in sudden bumps and highs on glucose – take a glucose tablet and watch fast with fingerprick machine and one will see the sudden dense glucose packets circulating around.

Getting 100 per cent repeat non errored results on caveman fingerprick machine is not possible. SOme buffer for errors should be covered.

My average runs about 10 strips a day with times when they are at 6 and othertimes when a crisis is at 12 to 14.

SO I am unclear what your point is. Testing is critical to maintaining health and artificial restrictions on strip usage ignoring medical recommendations is unacceptable and thoughtless.

Fortunately you are fortunate and a regularly running BG system with no liver gronks/irratibility/fragile issues.

The comment about republicans is not helpful.

Obama is the one in the hot seat driving the bus and the Obamacare situation.

28. Thomas
    Thomas June 25, 2012 at 6:10 am | | Reply

10-12 test strips a day is highy excessive compulsive. I use 5 strips a day for the last 15 years since being put on tight control with a basul and novolog regime.5 a day is all the VA allows. My A1Cs run 6-6.2. When I was first diagnosed they allowed me way more until I got the hang of it and that took 2 months. I eat at a certain time and my schedule is pretty steady. 10-12 is absurd. Once you get under good control you shouldn’t need any more tha 200 a month.

29. jim snell
    jim snell June 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm | | Reply

To you my usage may be absurd. For me that is what has been necessary by my Doctor and medical team.

Your body and conditions and misfires are not mine.

1. Thomas
      Thomas July 28, 2012 at 2:47 pm | | Reply

Your medical team prescribing crazy amounts of test strips is raising the costs for everyone. When I printed out some of the claims of how many test strips some are using…..I showed this to my endo and he laughed. It’s just amazing that I can get by with just 150-200 a month, isn’t it……but I know what I am doing.

30. steve lancaster
    steve lancaster April 11, 2013 at 10:33 am | | Reply

i dont know how many people here know people in New Zealand but thats where i am from currently living in BC Canada, but if you know any PWD down there you could ask them to send you some supplies, though they have changed to a new meter CareSens N and a couple others in the CareSens series we still get the strips a hell of a lot cheaper down there. i once got 5 vials of 50 strips for $3 on a script as 3 month supply you can still get other strips at around $40 a vial of 50/100 just by walking in to a pharmacy without a script but with it will only cost $3

31. http://yellowtower65.wordpress.com/

Everything is very open with a really clear explanation of the challenges.
    It was truly informative. Your site is very useful. Thanks
    for sharing!

32. Mark
    Mark November 25, 2013 at 7:45 am | | Reply

Could it be true- as reported below- that the end-user cost per strip in India will drop to about 4 or 7 cents by the end of this year? Or is this just a false hope?

“….There is some good news for all those who need to check blood sugar levels regularly, as glucose test strips may be available for less than Rs 5 by year-end.

With prototypes of such blood glucose test strips, which now cost between Rs 30 to Rs 35, being developed by various organisations across the country with the help of Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR), the economical version is likely to be made available by the end of December.

Secretary Health Research and Director General of ICMR V M Katoch said, “these strips will be made available by the end of this year”.

He said, “The cost of such strips will drastically come down as ICMR has provided public and private organisations with its research technology. This will help bring the cost of such strips between Rs 3 to Rs 5.”

33. Simba Lage
    Simba Lage February 22, 2014 at 6:37 pm | | Reply

My daughter was diagnosed type 1 at age 2 she is 5 now. This and my disability has made us homeless! We CANT go without her meds without her dying, going without a house is rough but were alive. I asked if she could have my pancreas when I first found out. They said there are treatments and it wouldn’t be possible. They never told me that this treatment wasn’t a cure and she would rely on the drug market to stay alive. I have high bloodpressure and chronic pain and even my meds are cost effective yet I wont die without them.. We need a cure not a treatment

34. Simba Lage
    Simba Lage February 22, 2014 at 6:42 pm | | Reply

Also.. the insurance forced us to go through a private company this year and use this annoying talking advocate glucose meter and while it is better then trutrack, no one has the strips. so when the insurance only covers so many and you need to buy more you have to go through this mail order crap because no pharmacy carries them, so when that happens I buy for the old meter.. but today at walmart after my 1st post I spent 16.00 on a new meter to which 50 strips is only 9.00. That being a Relion meter :) Hope this info helps some get accurate results which might save your life