More D-Gadget News You Can Use

Miscellaneous D-design news, in varying states of realization, if you will:

* The Luxura HD Insulin Pen from Eli Lilly — this one’s been around for a bit, but I haven’t gotten around to mentioning it. It’s as sleek as the Memoir Pen, but not quite as smart, missing the digital dosing memory. But the Luxura has one big advantage for little people: it delivers half units of insulin, making the only other pen choice for kids aside from Novo’s Junior Pen (which I used before becoming a pumper). I’m just not sure the corporate ball-point pen look of the Luxura is really so appealing for children. It’s just so… teal-green. Whatever.

Luxura_hd_pen

* Symlin in an injection pen — should be introduced very soon, possibly as soon as end the of October, according to an Amylin company rep I met a few weeks ago.

Symlinpen

* A new implantable glucose-sensoring microchip from VeriChip Corp. Another technology that “couldVerichip_implantable eliminate the need for diabetics to withdraw blood to test their blood glucose levels several times a day.” A new sensor under development “will emit a passive RFID signal to power the implantable chip, scan it and display the patient’s glucose level.” OK, we’re not holding our breath here. But the inventors have filed for a patent, and “expect to have a prototype of the integrated technologies functioning within six to 12 months.” Um, whatever. (Call me when it actually works)

* Finally, Wired’s blog featured this gorgeous design for a non-invasive wristband glucose monitor:

Mol_2

I tried to track down the details, and could find nothing but a link to a trendy industrial design firm, with a reference to “a low-frequency ultrasound emission, which makes the skin more permeable in order to allow the insulin molecule pass through the skin pores and get into the blood stream.” Um, since none of the non-invasive glucose monitoring technologies to date actually WORK, I’m um… not holding my breath here either. Just pointing this one out for the form factor. Very, very cool.

And you know what? My OmniPod gives me hope that good design can actually function well, too. eHugs to Insulet…

*** UPDATE *** Symlin in a pen was approved by the FDA exactly one week after this post. See the pretty photo added above.

1. Sara
    Sara September 26, 2007 at 9:06 am | | Reply

A Symlin pen?!?! I would probably start taking it again if it was so much easier. I liked it – it was just so inconvenient to use it in shots in addition to my pump.

2. Hannah
    Hannah September 26, 2007 at 12:54 pm | | Reply

Hooray for the Symlin pen! It’ll be so nice to have a day (hopefully soon) without all those syringes floating around my purse. I’m a pumper, so that gets to be quite annoying!

Also, quite the nice wristband. Maybe they can make it cross-functional with the implantable chip device. I won’t hold my breath either, but it’s nice to see companies keeping their patients in mind.

3. Wade
    Wade September 26, 2007 at 1:28 pm | | Reply

Wow, trade finger pricks for an increased risk of cancer from an RFID implant? No thanks!

4. Bennet
    Bennet September 26, 2007 at 4:54 pm | | Reply

We played with the Lilly pen at the CWD convention. What can I say they were giving away cool LL Bean backpacks. Anyway the pen seemed to require much less plunger pressure and that was a plus for kids too. Truth be told all the pens are just too big for kids hands.

5. Marc
    Marc September 26, 2007 at 7:20 pm | | Reply

Finally, a reason to get chipped! Seriously, I can’t wait for something like this to come to market. Realtime monitoring is the wave of the future, and I’d gladly trade my lancets for a little implant action.

6. RandyB
    RandyB September 26, 2007 at 7:59 pm | | Reply

I was finally able to score one of Lily’s Luxura HD pens. A lot of pharmacies still don’t know about them….. I called Lily and they sent me a coupon to get the pen at no charge. My endo didn’t even have the coupons yet. The pen is GREAT! My honeymoon is ending/ended and I really wanted the half unit capability. I guess no size/shape will ever be perfect for everyone – I think its a tad big, myself, but I like it none the less.

7. Florian
    Florian September 29, 2007 at 11:05 am | | Reply

Verichip recently had some bad news about their implantable RFID chips so it might take longer to see a glucose sensing/measuring chip. http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2007/09/11/too-many-tumors-for-verichips-chips.aspx?terms=VeriChip+News&vstest=search_042607_linkdefault

8. Kris Messler
    Kris Messler October 7, 2007 at 1:18 pm | | Reply

Can I receive this “blog” in my emails on a regular basis? Where can I sign up, or do I need to check into this sight myself when I feel like it? Impressive info.
    Kris