So this whole low-carb thing about diabetes is driving me crazy.
As I said myself recently, when struggling to control your blood sugar, the more carbs, the more struggle.
But I also don’t believe that complete abstinence is the answer (like “just say no” isn’t really the answer for birth control, right?) Carbohydrates are part of life, and part of a healthy diet, too, in moderation. I just wish there were more — and more satisfying — low-carb (LC) choices to make the whole carb restriction thing a bit easier.
So in desperation, I turned to Atkins / ultra-low-carb devotees for advice. I wrote to Jimmy Moore of the leading LC blog Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb, with this query:
Since most diabetics seem to struggle with restricting carbs and figuring out what in the heck they can eat, I need your help. Could you share your TOP 20 FAVORITE LOW-CARB MEALS & SNACKS with me to share with my readers?
What we’re looking for are some viable meal/snack options that really keep a person satisfied — some actual dishes you can prepare for a dinner or a lunch meal, or something you can order in a real live restaurant.
Jimmy posted the query on his discussion board, and whala, we got a whole mess of suggestions! I’m not sure they added up to exactly 20; I lost count (speaks for my carb-counting skills, ay?). Here’s a rough synopsis, in no particular order:
Fave Low-Carb MEALS:
* Chicken Marsala
“Thin sliced chicken dredged in parm cheese and pan fried in butter and garlic. A splash of real marsala wine for flavor (do not drink the rest of the bottle). Serve with sauteed sliced mushrooms and a gorgeous salad.”
* Chopped shrimp (the frozen stuff will do) on a bed of lettuce with a dollop of mayo and hard boiled egg slices
* Green bean casserole, mashed cauliflower, meatloaf, turkey burgers, unbreaded fried wings, baked chicken breasts, baked fish
* Sea scallops wrapped in bacon, skewered on the BBQ
* Steak on the grill with “loaded broccoli”: broccoli with a bit of sour cream, a touch of butter, real bacon bits, chopped onion, and shredded cheese (apparently kills those potato cravings)
* Spaghetti squash, instead of pasta
* “Lettuce sandwiches”: wrap your sandwich fixins in lettuce leaves
* Salad, salad, salad: taco salad, chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, Caesars salad with chicken or shrimp, spinach-strawberry salad, lemon-tarragon salad, and so on
Fave Low-Carb SNACKS:
* Steamed shrimp
* Turkey Kielbasa (good as an entree, too)
* Yogurt cup with a few chopped berries and walnuts
* Celery sticks with flavored cream cheese
* Deviled eggs, avocado-filled eggs, boiled eggs mashed with wasabi powder
* Salad, salad, salad: chicken salad, tuna salad, shrimp salad, etc., etc.
Thanks so much for the suggestions, Guys! But I also see my problem right there; I am sick to death of skinless chicken, eggs, and salad, salad, salad. I can’t stand cauliflower. Steak and pepperoni are too fatty for my poor sensitive stomach to take very often… whine, whine, whine… I know.
Honestly, the enthusiasm of Jimmy’s followers alone kind of re-kindled my motivation to slash the carbs. And it’s sure nice to know there’s a whole community out there to fall back on whenever you feel you might be “losing it.” Time to start surfing the low-carb recipe circuit again Need a place to start? Go see Linda.