Look Who’s Blogging

Two new blogs you’ll want to know about:

* The American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) has launched a blog (!) at its new Side by Side website. The co-authors are three bubbly CDEs: Barbara Walz, from San Antonio, Texas; MollySidebyside_header_01 Rodriguez, also from Texas, grandmother of four; and Sharlene Emerson, of Western Pennsylvania Hospital.

Happy to see that I’m on the blogroll, along with the Diabetes OC site and a handful of our other independent patient blogging brethren. One of the ladies’ first posts is about (Hah!) knowing your numbers. I wonder if they’re aware of our Know Your Numbers book? I went ahead and posted their very first comment, pointing them that way :)

* Also, speaking of The New York Times, they’re beefing up their Health Pages with a new blog launched Tara_parkerpope_2 today called Well. Columnist Tara Parker-Pope will be “sifting through medical research and expert opinions for practical advice to help readers take control of their health and live well every day.” I understand she’ll be pumping out five posts per day, so that’s a lot of sifting!

Note that Tara was formerly a health columnist at the Wall Street Journal, and she’s a big proponent of not taking anything at face value. “My pet peeve is when I see somebody take a single study as the final word on a subject. In medicine, nothing is ever the final word. It’s always just one more piece of the puzzle. We’re all guilty of this sometimes because we get caught up in the story we’re writing,” she told the Columbia Journalism Review last year. Her Well should be very bookmark-worthy, I’d say.

1. SpacyTracie - Living with Diabetes
    SpacyTracie - Living with Diabetes September 24, 2007 at 5:28 pm | | Reply

New Diabetes Blog: AADE Side by Side

Amy over at Diabetes Mine mentioned a new blog started by The American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE). I immediately subscribed to their feed (love my reader!) and cant wait to see what its all about.
    Amy also mentions the first…

2. Bennet
    Bennet September 25, 2007 at 6:43 am | | Reply

The times has folks over at CWD’s parents forum buzzing with a comment about cupcakes and childhood diabetes by Sarah Kershaw

The times could use a little distinction between T1 and T2.

3. Barbara Walz
    Barbara Walz September 25, 2007 at 9:23 am | | Reply

Dear Amy -
    Thanks so much for recognizing us!! It is really impressive that a “professional blogger” such as yourself would make a positive comment about us “novices”. The 3 of us have lots of experience w/ dm but are very new to the blogging world – so it is very new and pretty exciting. Please continue to share your comments and if you have any topics that you consider “hot”, let us know and we would be more than happy to contribute from the healthcare professional viewpoint. Keep up the good work!

4. Carol
    Carol September 25, 2007 at 11:22 am | | Reply

i am having what I think may be unaware lows. I was walking across a parking lot and felt like I was having a stroke. we went into the restaurant and my husband left me with a friend while he went and got me some oj. in the meantime they gave me 2 large pepsi’s. i did not recognize my good friend or remember much about what went on the whole time we were there. i did not remember talking with people, taking photos of my granddaughter or our conversations. by the time i got all that sugar in me, about an hour later my sugar was 154. no one thought to take my sugar and i had not taught even my husband to do it before then.

5. CrazyACpumper
    CrazyACpumper September 25, 2007 at 11:57 am | | Reply

Carol,

As a Type 1 for 22 years, I have had “unaware” lows many times. My symptoms (how I feel when I start to get low) have changed over the years.

You bring up the most important thing, do a blood test! Know your level before you eat. This is difficult sometimes but if you are with people you know, tell them these are the “symptoms” to look for. Have them sit you down and do a blood test.

Of course explain and show them when you are not low. ;-)

Hang in there hon!

6. Carol
    Carol September 25, 2007 at 12:34 pm | | Reply

thank you, CrazyACpumper. my family doc has finally talked me into seeing an endocrinologist. hopefully that will help. She said it could be my pancreas “shutting down”? That sounded scary! I’m not sure what that means. I was diagnosed type II about 5 years ago, but have since lost 70 lbs. No longer on my meds and wondering where the lows are coming from.

7. Molly Rodriguez
    Molly Rodriguez September 27, 2007 at 12:25 pm | | Reply

Thank you so much for recognizing AADE’s SidebySide blog! I am new at this, but am learning fast thanks to our mentor and professional bloggers like you.
    Your information is inspirational.