Why Did God Make Carbs So Yummy?

Fruit_3

This is a post about binging. Well, not binging exactly, but eating more than one handful of tortilla chips or Cheeto’s in one sitting, and then kicking yourself around the block for it the rest of the day.

This is a post about not wanting just HALF an apple — or not biting into a banana at all just to be on the safe side. Lusting after that banana and loathing it at the same time.

This is a post about watching other people fill their buffet plates to brimming… carefully picking around the buffet table yourself until you’ve lost count of how many carbs you’ve ingested, then throwing in the towel … and kicking yourself around the block for it the rest of the night.

This is a post about the memory of fruit juice. The memory of s’mores. The memory of cinnamon raisin bread.

This is a post about …

This is a post…

This is a …

This is …

This … is how many carbs you get when you’re trying to keep your blood sugar under control.

1. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson August 21, 2007 at 8:37 am | | Reply

Great post Amy.

I don’t eat meat. I don’t do many veggies. I don’t do many fruits.

I am a carbohydratatarian.

Cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me…

2. c. scully
    c. scully August 21, 2007 at 9:06 am | | Reply

OH MY GOD.
    you have just summed up my life (or any type1 diabetic) in one sentence.

this is the shackles of our everyday lives.

this means so much to know i am not the only one jealous inside and crying from the bars this disease puts on my life.

3. Anne
    Anne August 21, 2007 at 10:03 am | | Reply

I eat a bowl of oatmeal + whole banana + glass of milk every day. That’s about 75 g, baby! In my experience, I haven’t had to cut out carbs more than anyone else around me probably should. But maybe that’s why I don’t have an A1c of 5.6 (or 5.7…)

4. Laura
    Laura August 21, 2007 at 10:35 am | | Reply

I haven’t had to cut out any more carbs than usual either. I just eat more healthy…if I find myself wanting that plum or banana, I just shoot for it. In more ways than one!

5. Erin
    Erin August 21, 2007 at 12:30 pm | | Reply

I haven’t limited my carbs that much. Mostly I avoid the all-around high-calorie ones (like ice cream) but that’s more for general fitness than diabetes reasons. I guess it depends on the way your body handles carbohydrates and insulin, whether you have to avoid high-carb stuff or not. I know some people go high after meals no matter what, so that they do have to cut carbs, but not all of them do. Me and Laura and Anne above, for example. As long as I’ve accounted for whatever carbs I consume with the corresponding quantity of insulin, I’m fine. Oh, and my last A1C was 5.9.

6. Ed
    Ed August 21, 2007 at 12:52 pm | | Reply

I try and keep it simple stupid but I’m not sure how much longer I can live on ultreameal for breakfast, a turkey sandwich for lunch and chicken sausage or a turkey burger for dinner – time will tell…. but god I would kill for a dim sum feast on a rainy day like today.

7. Denise
    Denise August 21, 2007 at 1:29 pm | | Reply

I remember snicker bars?????????? At least I think I do. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

8. JasonJayhawk
    JasonJayhawk August 21, 2007 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

Definition of a carbohydrate (n): anything that tastes good.

9. Adam
    Adam August 21, 2007 at 5:22 pm | | Reply

I only eat small amounts of carbohydrates with meals. I follow Dr. Richard Bernstein’s methods of managing my type 1 diabetes. My last A1c was 4.8%
    Once in awhile I’ll crave something I don’t eat–for example, PapaJohns pizza or a bag of cheese curls Most of the time, though, I don’t miss carbs. I do eat carbs in the form of dextrose tablets, but only as needed to remedy and avert hypoglycemia.

10. Connie
    Connie August 21, 2007 at 6:09 pm | | Reply

Amy, what an absolutely clever and compelling blog entry — poignant and penetrating, too. Good for you for owning up to your frustrations. As someone who’s not a type 1 or 2 diabetic, you’re opening my eyes.

Your blog is such a fabulous resource for the diabetic community.

By the way, I’ve now officially “tagged” you from my blog to yours.

I hope you’ll enjoy this. It’s a phenomenon that’s capturing the attention of bloggers everywhere.

Please take this in the spirit of fun and adventure in which it’s intended. We get to know each other, too.

11. Rachel
    Rachel August 21, 2007 at 6:13 pm | | Reply

I’m an agnostic and I still think that same thing. Why oh why must there be so much carb-filled goodness?

12. AmyT
    AmyT August 21, 2007 at 7:48 pm | | Reply

Thanks, Connie. I’ve been tagged for a number of these “memes” before. See
    and

That may be about all the personal tidbits anybody cares to know about me at the moment :)

13. Franka
    Franka August 22, 2007 at 11:23 am | | Reply

With my experience of more than 20 years of Type 1, I do not get why you keep yourself from carbs that rigorously. Probably it frustrates you more and more until a complete lost of control, kind of a burnout etc. And I don’t see the sense in it either. On the pictures I saw you shouldn’t need to eat lowcarb, so whay should you having diabetes?!
    I can only recommend you to try to see food as something good, not as an enemy having carbs or calories to fight. Otherwise you end up frustrated, binge-eating etc.
    All the best,
    Franka

14. AmyT
    AmyT August 22, 2007 at 12:02 pm | | Reply

Franka,
    It’s not that I don’t eat carbs, it’s just that I (hello!) struggle to keep my BG under control. And the more carbs, the more struggle.

15. Jules
    Jules August 22, 2007 at 3:23 pm | | Reply

c.scully: 75g would require about 5 units of insulin to cover it right? Could you share with us your TDD of insulin? It’s so hard to believe that you can eat that many carbs in a single meal and still maintain such a low AIC.

16. c. scully
    c. scully August 23, 2007 at 2:57 pm | | Reply

Sorry Amy, i posted the item ABOVE Anne – who seems to be superwoman! :D

17. Anna
    Anna September 4, 2007 at 10:05 am | | Reply

Carbs aren’t so yummy to me anymore, I guess. Not when I consider them in full context. They used to be yummy, when I was blissfully ignorant about what they were doing to my health.

I can keep my BG in normal range 80-120, 5.5% A1c with diet only & no meds or insulin, so I have to view carbs as the dangerous dynamite that they are. It doesn’t even feel like a sacrifice anymore, it feels empowering.

Over time, I think my other taste receptors have woken up and foods that I hadn’t enjoyed as much before, taste much better now, like all kinds of non-starchy vegetables, and even liver. So there is just less room in my food choices for dangerous foods. Even if I control the portions, commercial sweet foods and the supersweet modern fruit hybrids are often just too sweet tasting. Starch just gives me gas and heartburn so that isn’t attractive anymore at all. It is much more enjoyable to have a very slightly sweet, but rich and creamy food that won’t mess with my BG control. Like very dark chocolate pot de creme.

Now if you had said, why did God make chocolate so good…

18. Albert
    Albert October 16, 2007 at 11:42 am | | Reply

hey amy,

wouldn’t it be interesting if there was a device that can tell you exactly how many carbs your body is actually absorbing? one can only dream.

also, you might want to delete those spam comments before this post gets tagged as spam as well.