Januvia Smackdown

Get your ringside seats, Folks! A while back I posted about the Merck’s new Type 2 oral drug Januvia (What It Doesn’t Do), explaining how it apparently trumps competitors in terms of patient “tolerability.” No other post has ever generated such ongoing reader energy, both positive and negative. Nearly every day, several new commentors weigh in, duking it out the relative merits of Januvia.Smackdown_2

Most everyone seems to agree that Januvia reduces appetite, which is a good thing. But then again, Byetta is known for that effect as well. The key is question whether Januvia fulfills its core function of lowering blood glucose (BG) levels, and lives up to its no-side-effects promise.

As of today, the score stands pretty much tied, as such:

Total comments = 50

Positive = 10

Negative = 13

Mixed = 16 (liked some aspects of the drug but not others)

Neutral = 11 (those asking or responding to questions only)

Among the most vocal of the Pro Team:

I take Januvia and have for 6 months. I have no side effects. I have experienced a decrease in appetite. I have had no headaches or respiratory problems. My BG has gone down. It is a great drug.” — Mike

Januvia has been a positive thing for me. My sugar levels dropped from 240+ to 110 +/- 10 after fasting. I have taken 100 mg once per day for a month… I am not as hungry as before usage.” — Jim K. L.

I’ve been on Januvia for a little over three months and have lost over 15 pounds which I had put on with Actos. I’ve experienced no side effects, other than I am not hungry all of the time. For me it has been very effective…” — Bill

I am substantially less hungry then I have felt in years … and my BG hovers around 100 – 120 between meals/fasting, and 120 – 160 for a few hours after a heavy carb meal. The usual BG spikes of 180 – 200+ are completely gone.” — Earl

Au contraire, says the Con Team, in so many words:

Prior to taking Januvia my BG was in the 160 to 180 range. Now it has gone up into the 260 to 300 range. I feel OK but this can’t be right.” — Tom Peck

Januvia is no picnic — from the first time I took it felt as if I had a fever would shiver as if I was freezing after a week added getting dizzy to the mix spent the day in the hospital my enzymes were all messed up but got better as time went on within 2 days of stopping Januvia all symptoms went away.” — Marty

Januvia seems to have raised my blood sugar to unacceptable levels. Although I was put on it because my numbers were too high, the Januvia seemed to raise them even higher, into the 300′s. Not good! Dr. told me to stop it for a few days and try it again. I did. Numbers dropped way down to 80 to 110, although I was still having some high numbers in the 200′s, particularly in the morning…” — Julie

I used Januvia for a month and a half. It worked well at first. Then my right knee swelled, my left foot I could not walk on. When I stopped taking Januvia swelling went away. It worked well at controlling my blood sugar levels, but too much pain. Oh… I never injured my knee or foot.” — Kathleen S.

So is there a Truth in here somewhere? Or is it really like pro sports, where the most aggressive team/contender is always right?

Note that a recent Johns Hopkins University analysis concluded that older, cheaper diabetes drugs are equally safe and effective as the newer ones. How safe and effective is that? Up for debate, it seems. The clear winner in the JH analysis was metformin, sold as Glucophage and generically for about $100 a year.

1. Dawn
    Dawn November 3, 2008 at 12:00 pm | | Reply

Hello, Since 2003 I have tried Byetta, Glucophage, Metforman – all cause severe abdominal (diverticulitis) Been on Lantis 20 Units 1 x per day, Apidra 7 Units 2 x day. No stomach problems with either but extreme BS drops once in a while. Started Januvia 3 weeks ago. Had some headaches but nothing tylenol can’t handle. Loved it but now have extreme leg aches and tired legs. Not sure if it is Januvia or the combination of Lantis and Januvia. Any feedback would be great. Januvia reduces the appetite, helps me stay very focused and keeps my blood sugars down but not so far that I go down with them. I consider myself kind of a weenie when it comes to meds but gotta tell you, the leg thing is not something I can live with.

1. William Barnes
      William Barnes September 7, 2012 at 1:32 pm | | Reply

I just stopped taking Januvia because it is so darn exspensive. And I have been having leg pains as well.
      Doctor said it was from my backs nerves. I wonder if the Januvia was helping to cause it. Anyway I quit for the time being.

2. Betsy
    Betsy November 5, 2008 at 5:48 pm | | Reply

I have been taking Januvia for 3 weeks and have developed a wheezing sound in the last week. I wheeze lying down or sitting up. Do you know if this is a side effect of the Januvia? I also got a stiff neck that has been very painful.

1. Larry
      Larry March 1, 2013 at 7:54 am | | Reply

I was on Janumet for a year and had success getting blood sugar down and losing weight. Only issue was depression that I could not understand. Had never experienced it at this level before. Came across a book on diabetes call “controlling diabetes without drugs” and read that januvia can cause anxiety and depression. Went to my doctor, told him how I was feeling and what I had read. Said he was not aware of that side effect but to stop taking it. Did so that day and within 24′ the depression was gone! I have never read anything other than what I did in the book but if any of you are taking this drug and are going through what I went through you need to see your doctor and try something else. I have never been so miserable in my life, to the point that I was questioning whether I wanted to go on living. Taking extended release Metformin and Onglyza now and no issues.

3. Ellen
    Ellen December 31, 2008 at 10:56 am | | Reply

I’ve been on glucophage for 6 years without any side effects and good BS control. MD added Januvia this year and had to stop after a month because of terrible stomach pain, heartburn and also respiratory problems. The heartburn was so bad it affected my vocal chords, throat, and mouth and kicked off asthma. The stomach pain sent me to an ER for possible ulcers or appendicitis. They’re the ones who told me about Januvia and heartburn.

I had been told there were virtually no side effects to Januvis, it was miraculous, etc and I was stupid enough to believe that. I found out otherwise.

Word of warning: anytime you see a new drug heavily advertised on TV, and your doctor pushes it, JUST SAY NO.

4. Ethel
    Ethel January 5, 2009 at 12:13 pm | | Reply

Has anyone complained that Januvia may be causing them yeast infections? It seems that I had taken some meds for a yeast infection and when it cleared up I was out of Januvia for about a week. When I got my refill in a day the infection was back. I’m checking with my Doctor today and with the endicronologist on tomorrow. I like the Januvia but some of the things people have described are symptoms that I didn’t realize were side effects to Januvia. The knee pain that someone indicated is something that my husband and I have both been having is it a true side effect?

5. kim
    kim January 16, 2009 at 2:57 pm | | Reply

I was on Januvia after being on the Metformin and runningto the bathroom many times a day. At first I felt better and the over time I began to realize I was going down hill. I had aches and pains. Even went to the Heart Dr to get checked for a heart attack. I beagn to have the most horrible night sweats and just attributed it to my age “47″….I got I on a web site ….not this one…and read about all the side effects that sounded so much like what I have been experiencing that I knew that it was much more than a coincidence. I have been off Januvia for almost a month and have had ZERO night sweats and less aches and pains. I feel better. The constipation is gone as well as the bloating. I would not take this drug again. I was beginning to worry that my liver was going bad!

6. Venkat
    Venkat February 16, 2009 at 2:02 am | | Reply

I am diabetic for past 22 years and have been on Euglecon and Glycomet. Recently my A1c was at 9.1 and my Dr. recommended Januvia 100mg. I am now been on Januvia for 3 weeks and my BG which used to be 200+ has come to normal levels both fasting and PP and I started loosing weight too. I do not have any type of discomforts. Is this really a wonder drug or is it a trick that is played on us by the drug manufacturers? Will someone throw light on the side effects of Januvia.

7. ritan1
    ritan1 April 1, 2009 at 1:07 pm | | Reply

I’m glad I stumbled on to this info. Been taking Januvia for some time now with Metformn 500 2x daily. Blood sugar readings slowly going up and have gained 30 lbs. on what my dr. tells me is a “weight neutral” drug. That has affected all of my numbers. Cholesterol is now high and they want to add another pill with its own set of side effects to the regimen. I’m already exercising an hour or more a day and watch what I eat. The past few months I’ve been having sleep problems along with the weight gain. Dr. recommending a sleep study program. Why don’t drs. know about all of these side effects? I’ve switched up all meds but Januvia to take in the a.m. to see if that helped me sleep. I was going to start taking the Januvia in the a.m. Now, I’m just going to stop taking it all together. More studies need to be done and I don’t want to be a test subject anymore. I will keep you posted.

8. Fanci
    Fanci April 20, 2009 at 6:00 pm | | Reply

I started Januvia 5 days ago.Because my A1C is 8.1.
    First 3 days I noticed no improvement in my BG test. Then on the 4th day my levels were wonderful. My morning was slightly elevated (145). My before lunch was 110, my before dinner was 100 and 2 hours after was 120. My after snack before bed was 122. I was impressed. I did notice at this time some very loose bowels.
    On day 5, I awoke with a huge swelling of my neck. I went straight to the doctors and she ordered a stat CT scan. It was inconclusive. The only new item in my life is the Januvia which I reminded the Doctor. She told me to stop taking it.
    I have been losing weight on my own .. and had been using insulin just fine. But my levels were still up. I seriously dont understand all this stuff and I had gone to a dietician and had a Diabetic education class ( I knew more than instructor) *sigh*
    This is a complicated disease and it adds so much record keeping to your life…
    I wish everyone well.. I for one wont use Januvia anymore.. Thanks you all.

9. Deanna
    Deanna May 18, 2009 at 11:45 am | | Reply

I began Metformin in July 2006 and my A1H went from 12.1 to 5.6 on a good diet and more excercise. My sugars stablized at abou 104 to 109 each morning. My cholesterol levels were also getting better. I steadly gained weight over about two years.

Along with weight gain, I had a slight gain in A1H levels in the summer of 2008 so in Sept 2008 my doctor put me on JanuMet. I neither lost nor gained any weight. My average sugars increased about 15 % and my suger highs went much higher after meals. My morning sugars averaged 131 by January 2009. I also experienced increased gastronomic discomfort.

I am not back on just Metformin and my sugars are better.

10. debbie
    debbie May 27, 2009 at 4:56 pm | | Reply

I am really concerned. I just saw where Januvia was giving people kidney cancer and pancreatitis. My blood sugars while on Junuvia were high never as high. I stopped taking it and my numbers dropped. I was diagnosed while on the Januvia with thyroid cancer now I am worrying about other cancers.

11. Nora DeClark
    Nora DeClark June 15, 2009 at 2:24 pm | | Reply

Hello I have type 2

12. Nora DeClark
    Nora DeClark June 15, 2009 at 2:24 pm | | Reply

this is getting agravating…..I can’t read the letters!

13. manoman
    manoman August 10, 2009 at 1:01 pm | | Reply

OK — different people have different reactions to meds … some people don’t get it apparently — “refusing” to take a med because of any story here is counterproductive. Discuss things with your doctor, do REAL research instead of listening to anecdotes and give it a try. If it doesn’t work, try something different, if it does great. But in the mean time — lose weight and exercise is always a good prescription — just not an easy one to follow!

14. Frank
    Frank August 11, 2009 at 10:16 am | | Reply

I was on Avandamet for five years and gained 40 pounds at a steady rate starting the moment I started taking it. My primary care doctor switched me to Januvia after I pointed on the correlation between my weight gain and Avandamet. My blood sugar was well under control though.

After 9 months on Januvia, I had lost 25 pounds but my blood sugar gradually went up, When my last lab result came back with over readings over 200, the doctor referred me to and endocrinologist.

The endo put me on a low-carb diet and prescribed 500 mg Metformin for me. I am still also taking the 100 mg Januvia. Two weeks later my blood sugar before meals is down to the 95 – 110 range. Diet alone had gotten it down to 129 within a week. The addition of the Metformin to the diet got it down to less than 110.

Bottom-line, Januvia alone did nothing. Metformin and low-carb/no-sugar diet did the trick. Avandia made me gain 40 pounds and apparently did nothing. Different medicines do different things for different people at different stages. The only sure way to know is to try different ones.

Diet alone, however, has the most effect.

15. Kelly
    Kelly August 20, 2009 at 3:33 pm | | Reply

I have been taking Januvia for just 10 days and I have been taking Metformin as well. It doesn’t seem to be having much effect on my blood glocose levels but my appetite is way down and I have been losing weight. However, I have been having some urinary irritation and a stiff neck. I had definitely noticed these things but did not realize they could be from the Januvia until I read this and other forums. The timing of the various symptoms (both good and bad) fits with the start of my taking this medication.

16. Kirk B
    Kirk B September 7, 2009 at 11:19 am | | Reply

Different patients have different organic and biochemical situations, and will get different results. Personally, i have had SUPERB results, dropping my morning readfings from 226 to 90! THAT IS NOT A TYPO. two hundred twenty six down to ninty- and rarely, even lower. I felt better than I have in a couple of years, and had more energy. I had NO side effects.

No one medicine can be safely recommended for everyone; therapy has to be tailored to the patient. There are certainly diabetics who should NEVER use januvia. This simply means their situation is not the same as mine. Janivuia has worked wonders for me, and should be given consideration in the case of every type 2 diabetic. Having seen the maker’s vidio on how it operates, it MIGHT POSSIBLY be of use in SOME type 1 diabetics, if I have not misunderstood this blocking chemical’s action on the body.

17. Keith
    Keith September 15, 2009 at 7:37 am | | Reply

I would like to know how many mg of Metformin some of you are taking a day along with the Januvia.

18. Donna McNamara
    Donna McNamara March 16, 2010 at 11:40 am | | Reply

Please post the most common side affects from using Januvia? thanl you, Donna

1. samuel
      samuel December 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm | | Reply

I have been on Januvia for about 2 years the only side effect that ive experienced is terrible muscle cramps. legs and arms mostly.

19. Gail
    Gail April 22, 2011 at 12:10 am | | Reply

I have been taking Januvia 100 mg once daily for
    7 weeks, after being taken off metformin 1000 mg twice daily because it was harming my kidneys.
    The bc readings are ok, but over 100 in the morning. As for side effects, I am experiencing slight numbness in the palms of my hands, decreased urine stream, terrible carb cravings, and occasionally, a sudden, brief pain in my leg or foot. Actually, I can live with all these, because my long-time problems with digestion and diarrhea completely ended when I went off metformin.

1. Sandra
      Sandra January 22, 2012 at 11:40 pm | | Reply

I am having some of the same reactions to Januvia. My legs have swelled up, I have sinusitis and drainage into my throat, (i.e. cold symptoms), my left leg and left arm have prolonged pain and I have chest pain that makes me think I need to have a heart checkup. I’m seeing the gamut of symptoms here, so I don’t know if more people need to report the weird things they are experiencing, but drugs should not cause pain if they are healing you.

1. Sandra
        Sandra January 22, 2012 at 11:41 pm | | Reply

Oh, yes, the decreased urine stream is happening to me, too. Sorry, forgot to mention.

20. Cristina
    Cristina July 29, 2011 at 9:35 am | | Reply

My mother is 77 and just started Januvia, 100 mg. After 3 days she already reported constipation.

21. Cristina
    Cristina July 29, 2011 at 9:37 am | | Reply

My mother is 77. She was put on Januvia, 100 mg because the previous teratment (Siofor 1000 & Diaprel) were not controling her diabetes. After 3 days on Januvia she reported constipation.

22. Meg
    Meg October 4, 2011 at 5:14 am | | Reply

I have been taking Januvia, 100 mg., for about 5 months now. It alone lowered my blood glucose from over 200 to 150, so it works for me even if not perfectly, and I can lose weight while taking it – seems to reduce my hunger. My doctor added back in the metformin XR 500 mg (I can’t take the regular metformin at all) and my blood glucose dropped another 10 points. My doctor upped my metformin XR to 1000 mg and my bg dropped another 10 points, so my mornings are around 130. After a month or two on this combination though I started having the terrible diarrhea like I had with the regular metformin (diagnosed with IBS-D before taking any diabetes meds.) I have heard to take the metformin and Januvia at different times, so will try that next instead of both at dinner. Metformin XR alone doesn’t bother my stomach and Januvia alone doesn’t bother my stomach, but both together does.

23. chrisc
    chrisc October 16, 2011 at 12:26 am | | Reply

my story is so ironic it would be laughable but it’s me and true. juvenile diabetic since 14, 38 years later i get a pancreas transplant. OMG – was life grand! (prior kidney transplants in 2002 and 2007, 2nd one still good.) so in august my antibodies were running high so to prevent rejection got the usual iv doses of steroids and immune suppressing drugs for 2 days in hospital. first day i come home thinking<"i feel like s***, my bs is high." It was 181. highest it had ever been after 3 pieces of birthday cake was 138. a1c was 5.1 for 2 1/2 years straight. so sugars don't really go back dow, fastings are fine, but pp are about 180-200. Guess what? I have become a steroid induced type 2 diabetic. they gave my junevia which hasn't changed a thing. I WANT INSULIN!!!!!! all you guys with sugars over 140 for any length of time are asking for long term complications. Listen to me, I'm vision impaired, have severe neuropathy and had kidney failure. If your doctor wants you on insulin, use it! I went 15 years before they even invented glucometers or lantus or humalog. i have weighed the same since high school (115-120,) 5'5" and athletic. this type 2 stuff scares me. and the januvia is not working. I'll give it a few more days . . . the good news is kidney is OK.

24. RobertNJ
    RobertNJ October 18, 2011 at 8:12 am | | Reply

Controlled my diabetes with 1000mg of metformin 2x daily and 5mg of glyburide for years. Usually around 125 at morning wake-up. Then after years it started creeping up into the 130s and 140s.

Doc suggested Onglyza which is similar to Januvia. Didn’t like it at all. Combo of metformin 1000 at 2x daily, reduced glyburide at 2.5mg daily and the Onglyza at 100mg is causing low blood sugar incidents.

Nixed the Onglyza. Now 18 months later A1C came back a 7.2 and we went to metformin 1000mg 2x daily and 100mg Januvia 1x daily and no glyburide. Not happy with results. This morning had reading of 200 blood glucose reading at wake up.

Still searching and getting increasingly nervous.

1. William Barnes
      William Barnes September 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm | | Reply

I had neurapathy a few years ago. I good foot doctor in Charlottesville,Virginia(Dr. Desabatos) operated on my leg and feet nerves and cleaned the fat around my nerves. That very day I have had no more pain in my feet or legs from the nerve problems. Great feeling.

25. Yevettev Verneaux
    Yevettev Verneaux December 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm | | Reply

I have been taking Januvia for nearly 2 months and have gained 10 pounds! My periods have completely stopped and my numbers are still showing up at around 160 average. Before Januvia, I had lost 10 pounds over the summer of 2011 – just walking, cutting out carbs and watching what I eat. My eating and exercise habits have not changed, but since on this medication, I have gained weight. Weird. I am now solely using Byetta and waiting to see if my cycle returns and I can loose the 10 pounds I gained since using this drug. I also had neck pain and I thought it was strange and a headache in the begining when I first started taking it. I am the least stressed I have ever been in my entire life so it does not make sense why my entire system is messed up. Let’s see if things return to normal since I stopped Januvia. I also had tried Metformin in the past, but it made me horribly sick, massive muscle aches (stiff legs, could not bend) horrible pain all over my body, slowly my energy began to fade away – but my numbers were normal for me 115. Once I stopped Metformin and within about 2 weeks, all the pain went away and I had normal energy. I went back on Byetta each time and just keep walking and watching what I eat. LESS Carbs the better and watch all types of sugar/carbs that is included in everything I eat.

26. Donna
    Donna February 3, 2012 at 11:51 pm | | Reply

I was so wondering about januvia, b/c everywhere I was looking kept saying that no one has had any weight gain with januvia(100mcg)…but then I typed in the right question and am finding out ppl are like me! I’ve been taking januvia & glucotrol(10mcg) for about a month and I have gained 12 pounds! THIS IS NOT GOOD! B/c I’ve always felt that that is what gets your diabetes under control,,,is significant weight loss. Also I did notice that since I started taking these meds, I wake up with daily headaches, (already mentioned the weight gain) bloating in the upper area of my stomach, slight pains in the lower part of belly. So I’m very thankful for the ppl out there that are doing a lil research! About like I stopped taking the meds she gave me for BP (Lisinopril-which causes me to cough uncontrollably), I told them that I was taking GINGER ROOT 3X PER DAY and my BP stayed around 118/75-80! The Dr. wasnt happy about that! But I’m going back to it! Trying to find out what herbs & vitamins are great for lowering BS levels…but I gotta stop this! ….Oh I forgot the sweling, bloating, weight gain (whatever it is!) is all in my back too! I feel awful! I feel like we’re nothing but human guinea pigs! I’d rather use God’s herbs to hel my body than this stuff! I guess you can see how it’s affecting my body, I’m up at 2:51 AM EST

1. Monica
      Monica September 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm | | Reply

Cinnamon lowers blood sugar, so I would recommend drinking cinnamon tea or adding the spice itself whenever you can. From personal experience I know smoking weed lowers blood sugar, but that’s not legal everywhere. :)

I’m about to start taking januvia … I used to have great results with Byetta, but I just finished a drug trial/study so I’m not allowed to use injectible meds right now … I hope this stuff helps me lose weight!

27. Tami
    Tami March 20, 2012 at 8:26 am | | Reply

I’ve been taking Januvia for the first time for the past two months and I’ve had sharp, stabbing pains throughout my body-sort of like electrical shocks and on the bad days, I can’t do much except take a pain reliever and lie down until the pain subsides. I haven’t contacted my doctor yet , hoping things will get better but after two months, I’m planning to go see her wiht my concerns. What I don’t like is all these wonder drugs that are advertised in TV usually end up as a law suit later on due to being taken off the market. Pretty scary!

28. Donna McNamara
    Donna McNamara March 20, 2012 at 9:13 am | | Reply

I have taken Junuiva for over 5 years and have had no trouble what so ever, my sugar levels are fine.

29. Don W
    Don W March 27, 2012 at 8:26 am | | Reply

I started on 100 mg Januvia and 5mgX2 glipizide a day for the last 2 weeks, my weight has dropped 8 pounds.
    No side effects so far that others have reported. Blood sugar has ranged from 75 to 110 so far , and I have stopped insulin completely.
    I am satisfied so far, I’ll let you know of any problems start up.

1. Don W
      Don W April 5, 2012 at 8:34 am | | Reply

I am astounded by the 180 degree change the Januvia has made so far, the other problems I am reading about haven’t occurred, perhaps everyone reacts differently, or their are other issues medically. I am glad this blog is here, it is good to hear about other peoples’ reactions.
      The other drug I am taking is Glipizide, but don’t know if anyone else is taking it, and whether it’s good or bad…atleast as yet.
      I might be misinformed, but I have heard Januvia works by reducing the amount of sugars that are normally produced by the body, and if insulin resistance is part of your problems, it helps to normalize insulin resistance. ?
      As well as eliminating insulin, I have been easily able to loose weight.

1. sue
        sue April 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm | | Reply

I just started taking Januvia 100mg this past three days and am scared to death after reading all the replys.
        I was on 5 insulin needles a day and 2000mg of Metformin. I am still on the Metformin and Januvia.
        Do you believe all the side effects are caused by this drug? Thank you for your input.

1. Don W
          Don W April 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm |

I am still taking Januvia, and I am into my 5th week. So far I have lost close to 12 lbs, I haven’t had the side effects others have reported, but who knows how it will effect a person.
          With me it has been successful, and I think it works for me by blocking the over production of sugar by my system.
          I have a suspician I have insulin resistance, and it has allowed for my blood to lower that resistance. I am only guessing.
          Perhaps others are having diabetes symptoms for different reasons than mine.
          No side effects, at least as yet.

2. dsteele
        dsteele January 27, 2013 at 8:40 am | | Reply

I’ve been on Januvia for two years. I loved it because I had absolutely no side effects. I’m in the gym doing intense exercise at least six days a week. I added up how many hours I spend exercising and it came to about 10 hours a week doing cardio. Throw in my weight lifting and it’s up to about 13 hours a week. My last a1c take 12/31/2012 was 5.1. My doc was shocked and I was incredibly surprised.

All of a sudden, I started having low blood glucose episodes. Not horrible but sense I’ve never had lows before, I became concerned. My doc took my off the 100 mg of Januvia. After about a month, my bg levels are rising. Fasting levels on januvia were always between 70 and 100, now they’re easily over 100 and this morning was 125. BGs after meals are elevated too and even my exercise isn’t holding it down like it used to.

Never thought I’d want to go BACK on a pill but I think I want to. I think I’ll just have to learn to monitor for my low bg episodes.

Anyone else ever experience this? Finally had this all figured out, but I feel like I’m back at square one.

3. Don
        Don February 5, 2013 at 6:50 pm | | Reply

Sorry to hear about your numbers changing, I am still on Januvia since March 2012, and I’m completely off of the insulin. I hope it stays that way. My A1c is still remarkably below 5.4. Getting off of 5 shots a day has been a miracle. To those who’s systems have adverse reactions should get off of Januvia, but for me, even if I had the other symptoms that people are talking about, I personally would endure them, knowing the alternative to it. I prey for a cure to this nightmare of diabetes.

30. Ruth Stotter
    Ruth Stotter April 5, 2012 at 12:23 am | | Reply

Found site tonight. I have been taking Januvia (minimal dosage) for nearly one year and never even considered that leg pains and constipation might be related to the drug. (Also taking minimal dosage metformin). When I ted increasing both of these (separately) I had swelling discomfort. Is the comment posted here re leg pains unusual or is this actually commonly related to Januvia? I love to hike and now find various leg muscles tight and hurting. I confess that this combination has lowered my morning count to 108-120.

31. qaiser hamayun
    qaiser hamayun May 7, 2012 at 10:56 pm | | Reply

i am taking januvia 100 mg with metformin 500 mg three times daily.scince i started januvia 3 weeks before my BG reduced to 85 +/-10 from 125 mg/dl.but now my BG raises again to 100 +/- 10.why does januvia stop working what can be the reason.if any body has answer pls. answer me thanks

32. Glenys Lambrakos (Batten)
    Glenys Lambrakos (Batten) November 6, 2012 at 11:42 am | | Reply

Stopped taking Januvia for the past week. I was very ill for about two weeks with severe abdominal cramping and loose bm’s. Had been taking it for a while. I did try the Byetta injections but it gave me severe abdominal pain and diarhhea. I also had a very sore epigastric area – middle of your abdomen. Since I stopped the Januvia, that pain has stopped and my lose bowels are resolving. I have been diagnosed with fatty liver disease and fatty infiltrates to the pancreas – weight issues. I read that Januvia can cause Pancreatic problems so I will not be taking it any more. I will go back on the Metformin. Think it’s probably time for insulin.

33. Blanca
    Blanca November 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm | | Reply

I just took my first dose of Januvia 50mg. I could not take the Byetta any longer due to a red itchy blotch at the injection site. I have been on metformin for years and started glipizide a few months ago. I hope to get good results without the side effects mentioned. I will keep you posted.

34. qaiser hamayun
    qaiser hamayun November 11, 2012 at 2:36 am | | Reply

i am taking januvia 100 mg from the last six months and found no side effects only little loosing of wt.
    my blood sugar is nomal now but upper level (100-105)
    jnuvia is not lowring blood glucose quickly

i do,not know how it works

35. Don
    Don November 11, 2012 at 7:10 am | | Reply

I have read through some of your posts, and have thought it would be important to mention, while I have been using Januvia, what is probably more important to mention, the Januvia, getting off the metformin had done alot to bring my weight down. For me, I have realized the drugs are only a therapy to help me change my diet, exercise radically. Before the change from insulin, my diet was not conducive to control.
    I would use insulin as a means to control my blood sugar only, and would always eat in a way that made the insulin paramount to keeping my blood sugar within range.
    I think what finally did work, was to go on a strict, and sometimes difficult to stay on, diet. It has taken a lot of inner strength to not eat the really delicious fast foods, cake, breads etc. Not even a little bit.
    I no longer eat sugars, potatoes, refined flour products, at all.
    My weight bmi is now 22.2. While still dependent on the drugs, my blood sugar hba1c has gone from 7.0 to 5.5
    I know everyone’s situation is different, and I wish you all the best.

36. Holly W
    Holly W January 23, 2013 at 7:07 pm | | Reply

I started Januvia 100mg approx 6 weeks ago. I have aritritis in knees which can be painful. Also on metformin 1000mg twice day and gliperide 4mg twice day. over week ago I noticed my legs hurt so bad I hated to move. Painful to get up and down in a seating position. Thumb had swelled and joint would pop at first but then would not bend at all. Other hand middle finger was stiff and aching . No injuries I can remember to either. At one point I was thinking I was going to lose all ability to move at all. Saw reports from others related to joint/muscle pain. Why is this not on warning. I stopped taking Januvia 6 days ago and already notice a diffence with my pain and the issues with my thumb and finger and my walking is tolerable. I truly believe this medicine almost crippled me.

37. Johnny W
    Johnny W February 5, 2013 at 6:06 pm | | Reply

I started met 500mg x 2 a few months ago. My numbers were down and I lost weight. Big problem though. Constipation became too big of an issue so I quit the met cold turkey and called Dr. He put me on Januvia as an alternative. I am picking it up tomorrow. After reading this site and the comments, I think I’m going to just eat a very healthy diet and exercise like a mad man. Yep, I’m sick of being a human sacrifice at the expense of the drug companies. I’ll report back in a month. No more drug induced pain for me, I’ve had it.

38. Mark F
    Mark F February 8, 2013 at 9:36 am | | Reply

I have been taking Onglyza 5mg along with 2000 Metformin each day for the last 2+ years. Have gone from 330 to 260 lbs. A1C keeps going down (6.8 last time). Now CVS Caremark is forcing me to switch to Januvia otherwise it will not cover it with insurance. Since when did Insurance companies become doctors? I see there are lawsuits out there for Januvia causing Pancreatic Cancer? Not sure what to do at this point.

1. William Barnes
      William Barnes May 27, 2013 at 1:18 pm | | Reply

Listen everyone. I have been diabetic for twenty four years. I was on Januvia and Actos for about six years. I was having very bad pain in my legs,and stomach and very depressed. I heard avout these drugs causing cancer,so I stopped them.. My doctor did not want me to stop but I did. Several months later he tells me to stop taking them. I told him I had already. I was also having severe nightmares. I am now almost free of nightmares and the pains,and the depression. But my sugar has gone up to 200. I am increasing insulin to 26 and doing better. Also was drinking a lot of Zero coke. Stop drinking Zero coke because it will cause intense stomach pain. I was going to the stomack doctor and getting all kind of test. Then it occured to me that maybe the Zero coke might be causing the problems. So I quit drinking Zero coke and within two weeks no more stomack problems. I love the tast of Zero coke and miss it,but don’t drink it. I drink IBC rootbeer and am doing fine with it. But I heard that drinking too much diet drink can rot your teeth. So I go slow and light on it. I drink a lot of well water.Seems we should stay away from all new drugs as they are being approved by corrupt FDA
      officials who are being overseen by a corrupt President and congress. They are out for themselves and no one else before the big bubble burst and the countrys economy collapses from so much debt to China and others.

39. Barbara
    Barbara February 17, 2013 at 6:13 am | | Reply

Just started taking Januvia and my morning reading are well over 220. My doctor did some bloodwork and found I had a UTI. Finished antibiotics hoping now Januvia would work. No…… morning readings still at 220. I have never had these kinds of numbers and I am a bit nervous about them. I see others have experienced this. What did you so?

40. Kris T.
    Kris T. March 23, 2013 at 1:58 am | | Reply

I stated taking Januvia 3 days ago. The first day it worked great. dropped my blood sugar down from 234 to 147. The second day I noticed that my eyes were burning and I had intense pain in my upper abdomen. Now my vision is blurry to the point that I have to reach and feel as I walk because I can’t see very well. I am not urinating like I should and that is causing pain. I am constipated, I have swelling in my back and rib area, wheezing and a horrible headache! My blood sugar levels are in the 300′s. I am stopping this drug now!!

41. R Coonce
    R Coonce May 26, 2013 at 9:32 pm | | Reply

I have just started Januvia only prob is alittl stomach pain not to bad and no appetite really. I kinda feel like crap but I wonder if I need to give it time reading all this good and bad I hoping it works for me

42. R Coonce
    R Coonce May 26, 2013 at 9:34 pm | | Reply

Also sorry have a hard time typing forgive me lol