Januvia Smackdown

Get your ringside seats, Folks! A while back I posted about the Merck’s new Type 2 oral drug Januvia (What It Doesn’t Do), explaining how it apparently trumps competitors in terms of patient “tolerability.” No other post has ever generated such ongoing reader energy, both positive and negative. Nearly every day, several new commentors weigh in, duking it out the relative merits of Januvia.Smackdown_2

Most everyone seems to agree that Januvia reduces appetite, which is a good thing. But then again, Byetta is known for that effect as well. The key is question whether Januvia fulfills its core function of lowering blood glucose (BG) levels, and lives up to its no-side-effects promise.

As of today, the score stands pretty much tied, as such:

Total comments = 50

Positive = 10

Negative = 13

Mixed = 16 (liked some aspects of the drug but not others)

Neutral = 11 (those asking or responding to questions only)

Among the most vocal of the Pro Team:

I take Januvia and have for 6 months. I have no side effects. I have experienced a decrease in appetite. I have had no headaches or respiratory problems. My BG has gone down. It is a great drug.” — Mike

Januvia has been a positive thing for me. My sugar levels dropped from 240+ to 110 +/- 10 after fasting. I have taken 100 mg once per day for a month… I am not as hungry as before usage.” — Jim K. L.

I’ve been on Januvia for a little over three months and have lost over 15 pounds which I had put on with Actos. I’ve experienced no side effects, other than I am not hungry all of the time. For me it has been very effective…” — Bill

I am substantially less hungry then I have felt in years … and my BG hovers around 100 – 120 between meals/fasting, and 120 – 160 for a few hours after a heavy carb meal. The usual BG spikes of 180 – 200+ are completely gone.” — Earl

Au contraire, says the Con Team, in so many words:

Prior to taking Januvia my BG was in the 160 to 180 range. Now it has gone up into the 260 to 300 range. I feel OK but this can’t be right.” — Tom Peck

Januvia is no picnic — from the first time I took it felt as if I had a fever would shiver as if I was freezing after a week added getting dizzy to the mix spent the day in the hospital my enzymes were all messed up but got better as time went on within 2 days of stopping Januvia all symptoms went away.” — Marty

Januvia seems to have raised my blood sugar to unacceptable levels. Although I was put on it because my numbers were too high, the Januvia seemed to raise them even higher, into the 300′s. Not good! Dr. told me to stop it for a few days and try it again. I did. Numbers dropped way down to 80 to 110, although I was still having some high numbers in the 200′s, particularly in the morning…” — Julie

I used Januvia for a month and a half. It worked well at first. Then my right knee swelled, my left foot I could not walk on. When I stopped taking Januvia swelling went away. It worked well at controlling my blood sugar levels, but too much pain. Oh… I never injured my knee or foot.” — Kathleen S.

So is there a Truth in here somewhere? Or is it really like pro sports, where the most aggressive team/contender is always right?

Note that a recent Johns Hopkins University analysis concluded that older, cheaper diabetes drugs are equally safe and effective as the newer ones. How safe and effective is that? Up for debate, it seems. The clear winner in the JH analysis was metformin, sold as Glucophage and generically for about $100 a year.

1. MoHo
    MoHo August 16, 2007 at 7:57 am | | Reply

Jeez, if your BG is 300+ use insulin! Enough with this T2 business…

2. Chloe B.
    Chloe B. August 16, 2007 at 8:14 am | | Reply

My brother was a medical research analyst for Goldman Sachs before the FDA approved Januvia & Symlin. He said he couldn’t believe they let them be put on the market, because they don’t really work on BG levels, but they have an impact on Seratonin, like an anti-deppresive medication, so you FEEL better.

3. Jenny
    Jenny August 16, 2007 at 3:34 pm | | Reply

Januvia suppresses an enzyme that is also used by the immune system. It was not tested anywhere enough carefully and there is some possibility that it may turn off the mechanism the body uses to fight melanoma.

I have documented the research about this issue at:

Many doctors do not understand how it works, either, and are prescribing it to patients for whom it cannot possibly work.

4. james allen
    james allen December 25, 2007 at 9:55 am | | Reply

I have been using Januvia for about 7 months. Morning bs 140-160. It’s running higher than before when I was on Metformin. No side effects with either medication.

5. Margaret B.
    Margaret B. January 2, 2008 at 6:52 pm | | Reply

I changed from Metformin to Januvia because of diarrhea from the Metformin.
    1 week after starting the Januvia I had constipation to the point of bleeding hemorrhoids. Plus my blood sugar was up.
    I guess I am stuck with the Metformin & the diarrhea.
    Cannot seem to find good info on side affects of Januvia.

6. Jose
    Jose February 16, 2008 at 4:50 pm | | Reply

Januvia works well as a combination agent with metformin or a TZD in patients who still have significant beta cell function. It does not normally do much by itself or for patients who have lost significant beta cell function.

7. Janie
    Janie February 22, 2008 at 10:20 am | | Reply

took Januvia for 2 months, craved sugar more then ever before. Numbers ran high so it did not help. Also the arthritic pain was horrific (never had before in my life) blood pressure went sky high, heart palpataions, sleeplessness and vivid dreams, night sweats, cold hands and feet. Went off Januvia and felt better right away, still having the arthritc pain, hopping it leave. Janie

1. Sandra
      Sandra January 22, 2012 at 11:52 pm | | Reply

I have been taking Januvia for about six weeks. I have noticed swelling in my legs, a charge of energy at 2:30 a.m. that keeps me going often until 7 a.m., chest pain, and pain in my left arm and leg. I don’t know how related this is to Actos, because that gave me grievous problems, also. Nobody should ever take Actos. I’m hopeful that after I’m on the Januvia for a little while, I’ll see some positive results, but I am craving sugar (hard candy) right now and its making me crazy. Someone mentioned an effect on Serotonin levels–that should help you sleep.

8. Ben H Bennett
    Ben H Bennett February 24, 2008 at 12:16 pm | | Reply

I took Januvia and became urinary incontenent

9. Donna
    Donna February 28, 2008 at 8:56 am | | Reply

BG this morning 259, ate brown beans and cornbread last night, real no-no!! Took januvia, 30-min. walk, BG 113

10. ann
    ann March 12, 2008 at 1:50 pm | | Reply

Took Janvia for 3 months. Have had terrible heart burn, stomach problems, which I have never had before. My blood sugars went up instead of down. Was on metformin which caused diarrhea but think I would rather have that than constipation and stomach problems. My doctor wants to keep me on Januvia and add Actos or Avandia which I hear may cause heart attacks.

1. Sandra
      Sandra January 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm | | Reply

Please refuse the Actos. It has too many sleeper symptoms that can cause cancer in bladder and kidneys, as well as pain in extremities. No one should take that drug.

11. Jane
    Jane March 12, 2008 at 4:31 pm | | Reply

gylset, advantamet, all of these cause me MAJOR stomach problems-not just diahreaa but uncontrollable pasing og gas and even accidents-which is VERY embarrassing.

so my docotr put me on Januva last year with asmaples-I was onit 2 months-it worked GREAT-but becaus eit was still a new drug, my insuranc ewould not cover it.

So my doctor put me on glimpiride-fast forward to now-one year later I have gained 25 pounds and I now have high cloestral and borderline high blood pressure. (both wwere normal a year ago)
    so now since now my insurance will pay for Januvia-he has me on that- the problem is now (I guess because of the extra 25 pounds) it is not conrolling my blood sugar.

My doctor told me to take a small amount of glimepiride (instead of a whole pill- to take 1 fourth of a pill) with the Januvia-but I am taking half a pill and STILL my blood sugar is higher. I tis running over 200 in the evening.

BTW my A1C was 6.1-so that was NOT the problem-it is the other health issues caused by the weight gain.

I am just wondring if anyone can help me to know if there is a med I can take with the Januvia. sinc ethe glimpiride is not working and the other has terrible effects on my system.

12. rick
    rick March 14, 2008 at 10:01 am | | Reply

have been taking januvia 100mg with glyburide and glucaphage for 3 months my A1C went from 8.8 to 7.1 and my BG went from 193 to 107 also changed diet and walking more am 47 yr old male

13. donna
    donna March 17, 2008 at 12:08 pm | | Reply

I started Januvia with samples from doctor and my blood sugar dropped to normal within a week. Then when I got my prescription, it had no effect whatsoever. Is there counterfeit Januvia out there?

14. Jen Zabin
    Jen Zabin March 19, 2008 at 11:15 pm | | Reply

Wow, the good, the bad and the ugly. I just saw my doctor today and because my A1C was 7.3 she gave me the 100mg samples of Januvia to try and a prescription for the Januvia/met combo. It sounds like anything could happen. I’m hoping for the weight loss and lower morning blood sugars. We’ll see..

15. Rand
    Rand March 26, 2008 at 6:36 pm | | Reply

I took one Januvia last week…first dose…first prescription from my endo and I had high hopes soon dashed by bizarre symptoms, feeling like I was just going to die, dizziness, nausea, weakness, high BP, anxiety, I mean I felt so ill I couldn’t believe it and how frightened I was. Then I asked for some Levemir to try that out and half an hour after taking that I called 911 and ended up in ER where they had to give me an Ativan to calm me and after awhile these symptoms died down. I noticed someone here mentioning the effects on Seratonin…well that might answer why my anxiety shot through the roof

16. Karen Olsen
    Karen Olsen April 14, 2008 at 4:28 pm | | Reply

Dear whoever….. I have a bottle of Januvia sittin on th counter waitin to be tried BUT after all this stuff I think it will end up in th trash!!!! NOT liken all th negative results. Really scares th bejabbers outta me. I’ll do less eating and more walkin and forget th Januvia. wish me luck!!!!

17. sherry
    sherry April 24, 2008 at 4:38 pm | | Reply

Has anyone developed a “fatty Liver” after taking januvia? My AST and ALT were 20 each. After a few months of taking Januvia along with metformin they rose. Dr took me off of metformin but AST and ALT continued to rise. After about 1 year on Januvia my AST is now 98 and my ALT is 185. Just wondering if this is one of those unexpected side effects.

18. sherry
    sherry April 24, 2008 at 4:40 pm | | Reply

19. Jan
    Jan May 1, 2008 at 10:58 am | | Reply

I was diagnosed w/fatty liver in October ’07, coincidental to a severe stomach virus (landed me in the hospital, very unlike me) that led to an abdominal ultrasound RX’d by my gastroenterologist. I’d started Januvia in January ’07. No one ever suggested a correlation although that doesn’t mean there isn’t one. Also no way of knowing how long it’s been like that. Interesting.

20. Jan
    Jan May 1, 2008 at 10:59 am | | Reply

21. gary
    gary May 6, 2008 at 6:03 pm | | Reply

i think you guys are being unrealistic here. Some back ground on me former biochem major in college, good friend in high school did the advanced trials on implantable insulin pumps, and loads of family and friends with T2 diabetes.

You make it seem like its a good or a bad drug.

I know nothing about HOW this drug interacts to affect your glucose levels BUT the fact that it tends to drop hunger normally generated other drugs it SHOULD be affecting the insulin/glucose interaction in a different way.

Given that diabetes patients under go their diabetes in a wide range of symptoms and I would say this is because T2 let alone T1 happens for more than a single reason or mechanism.

Thus some will experience a good experience with it and some will have a bad experience. For example I cant use the scrip antihistamine Resaid as it makes me talk weird for a bit then crash for 12 hrs as if Im in a coma

22. Joe Toscano
    Joe Toscano May 10, 2008 at 9:16 am | | Reply

Have taken Januvia 100mg for two months now. BG went from 216 to 118 in am. No bad side effects at all. For an old timer like me who does not get much exercise it works. Have been able to reduce caloric and carb intake as well.

23. CJ Porter
    CJ Porter May 10, 2008 at 11:23 am | | Reply

No matter what time of day or night I took the januvia it made my heart race. That and it sent my blood sugar through the roof. I was really disappointed – my doc really sold this to me as the miracle drug.

24. Chloe
    Chloe May 14, 2008 at 2:04 pm | | Reply

My doctor wants me on Januvia and I don’t know why other than she wants me to lose weight. I currently take metformin (500g) and amaryl (can’t remember dose off hand – I take 1/2 pink pill). My A1c is 6 and my numbers hardly ever go higher than 170 and that’s 2 hrs after eating (usually either after eating too much or eating something I’m not supposed to). Normal numbers are between 90 and 125; in the morning 125 right after getting up and 90 by the time I have breakfast (a few hours later).After reading all the comments, I really don’t want to take this medication. What do you suggest? I’m happy with the metformin and Amaryl. Also, what does this Januvia do to your kidneys?

25. JANET
    JANET May 15, 2008 at 1:25 pm | | Reply

Can anyone tell me how soon I should see my fasting BS come down after starting Januvia only 4 days ago? Still 130 – 150. I was on Actos for a year and gained 20lbs then changed to Metformin lost 15lbs but developed severe headches after 3mo. Had a CT Scan so I have been off the Metformin for 5 days. Now trying Januvia which has headaches as a possible side effect. So we’ll see. Concerned not seeing any drop in BS but may be too soon. Thanks!

26. Marshall
    Marshall June 2, 2008 at 3:57 pm | | Reply

Well, I got started on the Diabetes “merrygoround” back in 2000 when I was found to have high (150 and above but not usually out of the 200 range) blood sugars. Doctor put me on metformin. Took it once, thought I was gonna DIE for sure! Refused to take it again. Doctor tried Avandia, felt like I was swelling up and felt bad. Tried Actos, it has seemed to work but sometimes my blood sugar goes up higher than I would like. I saw the Januvia commericals on TV but from what I see here, guess I will NOT be using that! A while back I read somewhere that they are working with a drug made out of lizard spit. Haven’t heard any more about that.

27. Tom
    Tom June 2, 2008 at 7:00 pm | | Reply

Gave up on Januvia after a month. My BG readings with Glucotrol XL and herbals were around 130s after meals. With Januvia 180-200. I can go to bed normally at 130-140 and I USED to wake up at 100-115. Now I wake up at 180-200. No thanks. I called my doc and said she had to switch me back today, if not sooner.

28. yvonne brum
    yvonne brum June 29, 2008 at 10:21 am | | Reply

Started taking januvia sample from Dr worked great, got a prescription and have had nothing but trouble my face got swollen and I was depressed. Stopped taking Januvia felt better but blood sugar was too high in a.m. 160 so I tried Januvia again and leg pain, constipated and
    depressed. My stomach looks like I swallowed a basketball. I will again stop Januvia and just take metiformin
    Yvonne

29. Julian
    Julian July 1, 2008 at 9:20 am | | Reply

Started with Rezulin, shortly changed to Avandia and metformin- took for years until Met upset GI system. Then Januvia alone was insufficient so took Janumet ever since. Lost weight but good readings. Constipation has increased though.

30. Kathi
    Kathi July 5, 2008 at 11:19 am | | Reply

Started 50 mg. Januvia (once daily) + 10 mg glipizide xl (twice daily) about a month ago because doc said glucovance (metforman + glyburide) was no longer an option for me. He said I would no longer be able to take metformin, bad for kidneys. Januvia dosage is lower than normal because of impaired kidney function. Fasting BG was around 140-160 now it is 190+. Sometimes my BG is around 300 after a meal, it never was even close to that high previously. I have been trying to really cut down on my portions and carbs. I am hungry all the time. The first week or so I experienced such extreme dizziness, I was afraid to drive. That has gone away. I have developed a rash near both elbows, wonder it is the Januvia.

I have tried taking it different times of the day, nothing helps. I thought it was just me, but see that evidently this new “miracle” drug is not for everyone. I am really disappointed because I really had to jump through hoops to get my insurance company to approve me for Januvia.

I guess I am going to call my doctor next week and ask about a different medication or ???

31. tlj
    tlj July 20, 2008 at 7:46 am | | Reply

I have been taking januvia for two months know and wasn’t sure about the side effects. my sugars were running 147 in the am know if i over eat the are always under 120 in the am and the dr wants them at or below 120. I also take 500 milligrams of the metformin and glipizide xl but last night while driving i experience right knee pain does any one know if this could be the januvia? Plus I am gaining weight instead of loosing it head aches and not sleeping well at all feels like I didn’t sleep waking up odd hours of the night and I never do that.

32. meme3289
    meme3289 July 20, 2008 at 6:50 pm | | Reply

I just started glipizide also and I too have gained weight,having trouble sleeping (getting up all hours) and having leg and feet pain. Maybe it is the glipizide what do you think? How long have you been on that? Did you start the other at the same time?

33. Geralyn
    Geralyn July 23, 2008 at 8:07 am | | Reply

Ihave taken Januvia for a month and it is definitely lowering my blood sugar. However, I am concerned about the long term effects. The way Januvia works may also inhibit your immune system, according to articles I have read, but there are not studies to be sure. The problem with this is that it may allow the growth of some cancers in the body.

I am confused as to whether to continue on this drug.

34. Mike
    Mike July 25, 2008 at 6:55 am | | Reply

I was diagnosed as a diabetic a year ago. my a1c was at 10.2

my doctor recommended insulin.

i resisted, and begged him to let me try to lose weight to see if i could control it with diet. I went on a low carb diet, and lost 40 pounds.

3 months later, my A1c was 7.2
    6 months later, my A1c was 5.2
    9 months later….5.1
    1 year, and I am at 5.0

The point is that my endocrinologist is sticking to his guns. Even with my positive tests, he still wants me to go on meds…now he wants me to go on Januvia…of course, i am resisting.

Anyone hear of this type of thing happening? i think my doctor is very stubborn about my diagnosis, and i hate to think this way, but i think he loves putting people on meds…..

35. Carolyn
    Carolyn August 1, 2008 at 11:16 pm | | Reply

My mother was on glugapage and gliperide for 20 years She totally lost her appetite and was down to 105 and was becoming anemic. Her medicine was changed because her blood sugar was running high and a kidney doctor was concerned about the effect of the medicine on her kidneys. Avandia only caused her blood sugars to go higher not to mention other side effects. Then starlix caused disgestive disorders and high and low spikes. Shes been on januvia now for 6 months. Fantastic readings, food tastes good to her. She is not gaining much weight but she is eating. Did some research and found that metformin can cause lack of appetitie. I guess everyone is different.

36. Carolyn
    Carolyn August 1, 2008 at 11:21 pm | | Reply

My mother was on glugapage and gliperide for 20 years She totally lost her appetite and was down to 105 and was becoming anemic. Her medicine was changed because her blood sugar was running high and a kidney doctor was concerned about the effect of the medicine on her kidneys. Avandia only caused her blood sugars to go higher not to mention other side effects, as did Actos. Then starlix caused disgestive disorders and high and low spikes. Shes been on januvia now for 6 months. Fantastic readings, food tastes good to her. She is not gaining much weight but she is eating. Did some research and found that metformin can cause lack of appetitie. I guess everyone is different.

37. ELIZABETH
    ELIZABETH August 26, 2008 at 10:01 am | | Reply

JANUVIA HAS BEEN A GOD SEND TO ME. NOTHING EVER WORKED TO HELP WITH MY INSULIN RESISTANCE. AVANDIA GAVE ME CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE, AND METFORMIN ONLY MADE ME RUN TO THE BATHROOM ALL THE TIME. BIETTA DID NOTHING AT ALL, ACTOS WAS THE SAME, BUT WITH JANUVIA, MY 150-200 UNITS OF INSULIN A DAY HAS NOW BEEN CUT BY MORE THAN HALF!!! AND I HAVE LOST 20 LBS, WHICH WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO BEFORE. MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS THE SAME AS BEFORE AND I HAVE HAD ZERO NEGHATIVE SIDE EFFECTS. SO LIKE WITH ALL MEDICATIONS, IT WORKS FOR SOME AND NOT FOR OTHERS AND EVEN SOMETIMES BADLY FOR OTHERS, THAT’S WHY IT’S NOT OTC. THE ONLY BAD THING IS THAT HUMANA INSURANCE REFUSES TO PAY FOR IT, SINCE IT WAS NOT APPROVED FOR USE WITH INSULIN, SO FDA, GET GOING ON THIS. MY FORMER INSURANCE, UNITED HEALTHCARE DID PAY FOR IT, SO SHAME ON YOU HUMANA. GUESS THAT JUST PROOVES THAT HUMANA INSURANCE IS IN FINANCIAL TROUBLE.

38. arline handin
    arline handin September 5, 2008 at 5:09 pm | | Reply

I just came back from the doctor – have been taking 1000 mg metforminm since I was diagnosed and my A/C1 test usually ran in the middle 6s. All of a sudden I can’t get it below 7 so he suggested I add Januvia. I don’t want meds that make you gain weight. Now after reading all these blogs, I’m afraid to take it.

39. chicago gal
    chicago gal September 6, 2008 at 5:31 pm | | Reply

Took Januvia samples from doctor, wow they really worked well!! So did my 3 month supply from insurance. Started a new bottle Monday, and all hell broke loose. My sugar went from 225 to 395 yesterday. I went to the ER, and got insulin injections to try to bring it down. I have also broken out in hives, at first every few days, and now every day, on my back, waist, above elbows, and buttocks. The ER said they never saw hives from Januvia, but I didnt eat for 12 hrs. yesterday, and hives stayed with me. Now I am taking Metformin again with a 100mg of Januvia. Still itching, sugar is still sky high. Now I am back to staying in the washroom, with terrible diarrhea from the metformin, and I have only taken one dose of it so far. Was also on Actos for awhile before the Januvia, but it didnt work, and I gained weight on it, as well as my legs swelling up.
    This is insane!! Does Merck provide samples that work well, and then the prescriptions do nothing? I cant believe how my numbers have gone beyond sky high, like to 400, all of a sudden. I am going crazy!!

40. Kay Testa
    Kay Testa September 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm | | Reply

My Dr. game me some sampleas of Januvia because my sugar is 300+ everyday but after reading all this stuff about Januvia Im going back to the Dr friday. Not taking this pill.

41. chicago gal
    chicago gal September 10, 2008 at 1:13 pm | | Reply

ALLERGIC REACTION TO JANUVIA PART:2 – saw an Endo on Monday, put me back on Metformin XL one 500mg AT BEDTIME. You would not believe how great this is, as diarrhea is non existent, only having loose stools two hrs. after breakfast. Am also taking one 2mg Prandin before each meal. Hives have stopped from allergic reaction to Januvia, BG was 414 on Monday, now Wed. its 215 when I wake up. He also wanted to put me on Byetta along with the other drugs, but I said nope.

Let me also add, that I hadnt checked my BG for over a month. If I did, I wouldve seen the Januvia stopped working awhile ago. Yes, I am stupid. I almost went into kidney failure.
    My primary doc said she has been seeing a lot of adverse affects in her patients recently from Januvia, and also Byetta. I am her first allergic reaction to it though.
    Please remember to always check your BG. It really can make a difference between life and death.

42. George Martin
    George Martin September 17, 2008 at 9:59 pm | | Reply

I think everyone should look into other ways to control one’s sugar. I use STEVIA in all things like coffee, tea, breakfast grains (no sugar added products), anything you would normally put sugar in…Replace it with “STEVIA”..i CAN’T UNDERSTAND WHY FOOD MANU DON’T USE THIS WONDERFULL PLANT INSTEAD OF USING SUGAR..Look it up on the NET!…

Also, go hear and look at this it will change your life.. http://www.melabic.com

Here is my email address: gibman7@gmail.com if you want to contact me!

Rgds – George Martin
    Queensland, Australia.

43. Gail McNertney
    Gail McNertney September 19, 2008 at 10:11 am | | Reply

I started on Metformin which was very good a lowering my blood sugar. After a while I could no longer tolerate it and ended up in ER twice with inflammed colon. I was put on a double dose of Glyburide. This gave me an insatiable appetitie and I gained 30 pounds. I started Januvia several weeks ago, and I love it! My appetite has gone way down, and I don’t notice the “sugar swings” I used to get. I am sold.

44. Ginny Aguilar
    Ginny Aguilar September 22, 2008 at 8:33 am | | Reply

I have just been prescribed Januvia after taking 2 wks of this medication from samples received from my doctor. At that time I noticed that my readings were higher than before but didn’t really think anything of it.

For the past four days it has been over 150 which was much higher than before i started taking anything. I am just getting into this medication thing and am going to look for something else as these numbers are not acceptable and all of the comments plus the high cost are driving me to find something else. Thanks for all of your comments, it has helped me make my decision.

45. Walter S. Dyer III
    Walter S. Dyer III September 30, 2008 at 9:26 am | | Reply

Diagnosed two weeks ago with diabetes – nearly 620, doc gave me a hit of insulin and actos, metformin, and prandin – waking up with 320 one week later. doc sees my first measurement in the 290s and though I was elated, he’s disturbed hits me with another shot of insulin and adds januvia to the mix. I want to do what’s right, but i don’t want to be the local poster dad for the diabetes foundation. How do I negotiate these medical drug hurdles? Any assistance will be appreciated.

WSD

46. Barbara Kei
    Barbara Kei October 2, 2008 at 6:11 pm | | Reply

I have been Type 2 for 15 years. Glipizide and Actos have added 40 lbs. I have fought with the Doctors to get off of these, finally I refused to take them. I have always been on Metformin though with no side effects as noted from others but it’s not enough. Kaiser does not have Januvia on there formulary list but the doctor has agreed to override that and prescribe it. After reading the pros and cons I am worried but willing to try it…..the other drugs are making me FAT and I LIVE on weight watchers. I’m glad to read that others have gained weight because my doctor and endo just say I eat too much when I know I haven’t.

47. Diabetes Mine - the all things diabetes blog » Blog Archive » SEO Secrets Revealed

[...] Januvia (the smackdown!) [...]

48. Kim E
    Kim E October 28, 2008 at 10:08 am | | Reply

I too take Januvia once a day as well as Metformin. The Metformin was not enought but with addition of Januvia my blood sugar is doing great. My last A1C was 5.7. I have not had any side effects from either medication.

49. Dave A.
    Dave A. October 28, 2008 at 8:53 pm | | Reply

Have been fighting high blood sugar for 5 years with slowly increasing dose of Metformin. My A1C went up to 8.1 in July 2007 with current Metformin dose of 2500mg a day. My doctor gave me some samples of Janumet, then Januvia (25mg). It brought my A1C down to 7.2 in Sept. 2007 and to 6.6 in Jan. 2008. Humana insurance won’t cover it so I’m switching insurance companies Jan. 1. Have not had any side effects from these medications.

50. Dave A.
    Dave A. November 1, 2008 at 4:19 pm | | Reply

An important addendum to my current condition. When my doctor gave me Januvia it was to be used in addition to the 2500mg of Metformin. Metformin is to battle insulin resistance while Janumet is for insulin release. Two very different things. Both together are superior to either separately.