Traffic Jam, Niederrhein-Style

For those of you wondering, yes, we are in Europe. Despite a mix-up with our “family row” on the airplane and the lack of those wonderfully distracting little individual seat-back TVs we were counting on to keep the kids busy, the flight went surprisingly well. Which means, of course, that the little ones slept for about 5 hours. Whew!

I should mention that Airport Security made no notice whatsoever of my OmniPod. I was a little worried when they backed up the conveyor belt a few times to have a second and third look at my carry-on bag (filled with back-up syringes and insulin bottles), but in the end, we just got a green light like and ended up scrambling to put our shoes back on like everyone else. (I’m definitely of the “don’t-ask, don’t tell” school of thought, so I never volunteer info about all the diabetes stuff I’m packin’ unless queried.)

Three and a half sleepless nights later, I’ve already been on the water slide at the local pool more times than I can count, and I went out for my first bike tour with my father-in-law today. The landscape this close to Holland is flat as a pancake, btw, so nothing like the riding I’m used to in San Francisco. But there are entirely other hazards to watch out for…

Img_3438_9

Img_3440

This too shall pass…

Img_3439

More from abroad soon — inbetween all the essential D-posts I’ve prepared for your reading pleasure.

Off now for a cappuchino Niederrhein-style, i.e. strong coffee with a huge glop of real whip cream on top. Correct dosing for that? Doing my best here… Hey, I’m on vacation!

1. Kassie
    Kassie June 19, 2007 at 8:59 am | | Reply

The airport folks were probably giving your insulin an extra look, what with the liquids rules and all.

The TVs are great for those long flights!!

2. Rachel
    Rachel June 19, 2007 at 9:46 am | | Reply

Greg is don’t ask/don’t tell about his supplies, too. Only been questioned once out of ~15-20 plane trips since 9/11.

Love the scenery pics, makes me want to go back to Europe so much…maybe next year.

3. Laura
    Laura June 19, 2007 at 11:11 am | | Reply

Lucky you! Sounds like you’re having a great time. Am I jealous? Yes. I love the waterslide at our gym and we are going for a trip to the waterpark next month in Indianapolis. Hard to resist those yummy whipped top coffees!

4. Molly
    Molly June 19, 2007 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

In twenty years of flying with diabetes, I’ve never been asked about my diabetes supplies. I did get stopped by a French policeman once who thought I looked suspicious with my syringe in a dark corner. In his best fake-French accent my dad said “diabetique,” and the policeman replied, “Ah, insulin” in his much better accent.

And what a great traffic jam!

5. Wade
    Wade June 19, 2007 at 1:40 pm | | Reply

On the way to Vegas, they ran my bag back and forth through the X-ray machine and then pulled me aside. TSA asked me to open my medport bag and chastised me for not declaring that I was carrying insulin vials. Quite embarassing with all the other passengers watching impatiently to see what the holdup was.

On the way home from Vegas, I was selected to go through the special security gate (which had the “sniff” tester) and the TSA agent asked me if I had any liquids. I told him “Yes, 2 bottles of insulin” and he thanked me and sent me through without any further inquiries.

Compared to the first encounter, I’d say it was much easier to just tell them up front, and will do so whenever I fly now.

6. geross
    geross June 19, 2007 at 2:51 pm | | Reply

Where town are you staying in? I lived in Emmerich (near Kleve) for 6 months as an exchange student (many years ago).

7. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell June 19, 2007 at 3:45 pm | | Reply

I think you’re much better off pointing the insulin, syringes, etc. out to TSA in advance.

I’ve found them to be polite and helpful each time I’ve done this. It’s a LOT easier than when you don’t point it out and then get pulled aside for special attention.

Enjoy Europe, I’m envious!

8. Jules
    Jules June 20, 2007 at 8:53 am | | Reply

I assume you were wearing your OmniPod and got through the xray and security ok…right? If so, I’m surprised the rather large batteries didn’t set off the alarms.

9. wandering visitor
    wandering visitor June 23, 2007 at 6:41 pm | | Reply

how come one of the sheep has raggedy wool? :)

10. Kevin
    Kevin July 1, 2007 at 6:39 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,

I’m a little slow to catch this one and comment but w ADA in the middle I’ll use that as my excuse. Anyway, I had to chuckle about the x-ray machine at the airport as it brought back memories of getting on an airplane once with about a dozen two-way remote control long range wireless devices (GlucoMONs) hoping that I wouldn’t get pulled out of line and have to explain. Sounds like you had a great time.