The Diabetes Bike Zone

To report on another side of ADA activities altogether, there was of course the Palo Alto Tour de Cure event this Sunday. Thank you all for your contributions! And ooh, man, I am proud of myself. My girlfriend and I zipped through the 30-mile (50k) course, and then I RODE HOME. Yes, adding another 25 miles to the course. (OK, it would’ve been just 20 miles if I hadn’t taken that wrong turn at Sand Hill Road — whatever)

Cyclists going up Kings Mountain Road.

Blood glucose strategy:
- Consumed only 20g carbs for breakfast, which I dosed for.
- Then just drank the Cytomax during the first 30 miles. Clocked in at 130 BG.
- Ate two Kashie Bars at the event (they always serve gluten-packed pasta and muffins), to the tune of 54 carbs. Dosed for only 8 carbs, knowing that insulin activity quadruples (or sextuples?) during a strenuous workout.
- Tested about an hour into the ride home at 172.
- Arrived home at a happy 83 BG.

I’m a cycling genius! Or just one very lucky newbie. See my latest dLife column on taking up cycling with Type 1 diabetes, The Diabetes Bike Zone.

Notes to self:
- DON’T forget the sunscreen on long rides, even when it looks kinda gloomy out.

- DO bring children along to next year’s Tour de Cure. They actually had face-painting, and a jumpy castle, and a climbing wall, and brownies, too. The girls would have loved it.

Now if you really want to read about some PWDs who’ve conquered the Biking Zone, check out Team Type1. This group of 8 amazing Type 1′s just started with the 3,062-mile Race Across America on Tuesday. Teamtype1_2007

This marathon event has them cycling from Oceanside, CA, to Atlantic City, NJ. Last year, the team set a record in the eight-person corporate challenge category (5 days, 16 hours, and 4 minutes). This year, they’re outfitted with all the latest and greatest diabetes tech, including OmniPods and Abbott Navigator CGM systems (under an investigational study status) for all, and they’re out to set a world record: be the first all-diabetic team to win the race outright.

It’s only Day 2 of the race today, but TeamType1 is already leading the team category. You can follow the action at RaceAcrossAmerica.org.

Man, my 55 miles wiped me out. When I look at Team Type1 I really do think, if people can do that with diabetes, then we darn well can accomplish just about anything.

1. Laura
    Laura June 13, 2007 at 10:39 am | | Reply

55 Miles! Way to go Amy. You are my hero! LOL! I love to bike ride, although, I only get to ride around our neighborhood right now. Hubbie thinks that’s too much! Wait until I tell him about your bike ride! And for a good cause to boot!

2. Dave
    Dave June 13, 2007 at 11:40 am | | Reply

Very nice job Amy. Hopefully you will be doing it again next year. I wanted to do it this year but I had surgery on my nose and couldn’t do it. Next year I will be doing it and I plan on doing the 100 mile ride because I bike a lot and I love a nice challenge!! Rest up!!

3. Ed
    Ed June 13, 2007 at 12:38 pm | | Reply

Congratulations Amy, I’ll be doing the century in NY on July 8th, can’t wait!

4. Jamie
    Jamie June 14, 2007 at 8:02 am | | Reply

Congrats Amy!

Check out these guys too – they’re doing the cycle across Canada in September – five guys, in nine days. AMAZING!

5. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell June 14, 2007 at 8:57 am | | Reply

Congratulations Amy, that’s just GREAT. I’ll bet you had a fun day.

I’m riding in September to support Dr. Denise Faustman’s research into a cure for Type 1. (http://www.faustmanlab.org/).

I hope to do the 50 mile ride, unless my daughter comes with me. I’m aiming to raise $10,000 this year. ($7,400 last year) You can help by sponsoring me at: http://www.active.com/donate/bikethemiles/BernardF

6. Anne
    Anne June 14, 2007 at 11:05 am | | Reply

Congrat’s Amy!! 55 miles is a huge accomplishment! And congrat’s with the great BG management. Some days are like magic.

I see a century ride in those biking legs of yours…

7. Rosalind Joffe
    Rosalind Joffe June 14, 2007 at 5:20 pm | | Reply

I gotta’ say, I am SO impressed, Amy. That’s an accomplishment for anyone, not just a Type 1. You’re so right – there’s no stopping you now.
    Rosalind@keepworkinggirlfriend.com

8. Kassie
    Kassie June 14, 2007 at 8:05 pm | | Reply

Congratulations! What a terrific acheivement :)

9. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson June 15, 2007 at 10:29 am | | Reply

We are proud of you too Amy! Way to go!

And what awesome BG’s!