Spam Update and the Contest for Healthcare Entrepreneurs (!)

A few announcements today:

Spam First, I’ve been hit by a generous helping of comment spam, forcing me to switch on my “moderate comments” filter. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. If your comment is legitimate, rest assured it will be posted, it just may take a little longer than back in the day when I could just leave comments open without screening everybody. *Sigh*

btw, for those of you who’ve been writing to me with an array of OmniPod questions, please scroll through the category here called “OmniPod-ing.” You can also use the “Find It” button in the left-hand margin. Answers to many of your questions may be revealed :)

And now, without further ado, I’d like to make an announcement that’s much more fun:

A group called Changemakers, in collaboration with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, is sponsoring a collaborative competition for “Disruptive Innovations in Health and Health Care.” This means if you’re part of some health-related organization and have a cool idea for a solution that helps improve people’sApple_innovation lives, you may be able to see it realized!

RWJF is America’s largest philanthropic organization devoted exclusively to improving the health and health care. If you can believe, it is making $5 Million Available to Support Ideas That Transform Markets and Empower Consumers.

The competition is open to all types of organizations (charitable organizations, private companies, or public entities) from all countries. Entries will be judged on innovation, social impact, and sustainability.

A lot of the focus seems to be on programs, such as walk-in health clinics for the uninsured, but it does appear that visionary product ideas are welcome as well. One example cited is “Glucose monitors that provide diabetics with the convenience of blood glucose readings in seconds from the comfort of their own home.”

What springs to mind for me of course is all that talk about making medical devices more like consumer gadgets… I’m sure many of you have an idea or two to help the 62M Americans affected by diabetes.

Read all the entries so far, and submit YOUR IDEA here. Entries are accepted till July 18, 2007 3:00 pm EST (21:00 GMT), so don’t wait too long to get “disruptive” in the world of health care here!

1. Kerri.
    Kerri. June 5, 2007 at 4:32 pm | | Reply

Amy, I totally hear you on the spam bit. My site has been hit hard with the nasty stuff. Spammers are the most creative and horrifying crew of hacks I’ve ever come across. :)

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell June 5, 2007 at 6:37 pm | | Reply

Amy

Thanks for the heads-up. I’ll be on a watch against it.

3. Anne
    Anne June 5, 2007 at 10:13 pm | | Reply

interesting competition.. thanks for the info.

but what I really want to know is this:
    did you stick Spam (the “edible” kind) in your computer or did you find that picture somewhere else? Ewww!

4. Marston A, SugarStats
    Marston A, SugarStats June 6, 2007 at 1:31 am | | Reply

Man, I hate spam too >:-\ We get a few hundred per day, thankfully workpress anti-spam rocks :-)

I hadn’t heard of this competition before though, thanks for the heads up. This actually looks perfect for us to submit Sugarstats to, we’ll see.

5. Susan Promislo
    Susan Promislo June 7, 2007 at 6:51 am | | Reply

Hi Amy,

Thanks so much for spreading the word about the Disruptive Innovations competition. I think the push to make medical gadgets (or other services) that are more consumer-friendly, that people would actually want, that make the effort to manage their health and health care easier and more of a streamlined fit in the course of their daily lives…it’s precisely what the competition hopes to stimulate. We hope your readers do check it out and welcome their ideas — we’re excited about the opportunity to identify innovations that really shake up the established way of doing things in ways that consumers truly value. Thanks again.

6. Susan Promislo
    Susan Promislo June 7, 2007 at 6:53 am | | Reply

I neglected to say who I am in that last comment – I was a bit too eager to respond to your post! I’m the communications officer for RWJF’s Pioneer Portfolio, which is sponsoring the competition along with Changemakers. If anyone has any questions, please get in touch at spromislo@rwjf.org.