Aiming for Grace

Bgtest_2

A little something for your art collection this weekend (courtesy of the LeRoy Gallery). One of my fave fellow D-bloggers, at Aiming for Grace, writes this week about the delicate dance of body and mind that this disease requires — and how we sometimes stumble more than we would like. Trying to get it “right,” and the ramifications of “wrong.” This image reminded me that we are all, in our own fashion, aiming for grace here.

Editor’s Note: Look carefully at the number on the meter. Yes, we are imperfect. But we persevere.

1. joan
    joan June 2, 2007 at 5:27 pm | | Reply

I love the number on her meter! Okay, it isn’t a number I like seeing on my meter but if all non-diabetics experience of diabetes is based on the numbers displayed on the meters in the tv ads, they would think we all have 104s all the time. A little realism is very refreshing. Thanks Amy.

2. JasonJayhawk
    JasonJayhawk June 2, 2007 at 6:18 pm | | Reply

I really like that artwork! I’m not much of a fan for collecting artwork, but that would be something I’d want!

3. Paul Levy
    Paul Levy June 3, 2007 at 4:50 am | | Reply

Nicely put!

4. ralph berry
    ralph berry June 3, 2007 at 10:00 am | | Reply

The balancing act we live. Unexpected highs drive us crazy and unexpected lows make us feel like: Oh boy don’t mess with me, I am cool and can I manage this mess. Mentally taking the mix in stride is a tough road to travel but we as diabetics are pretty tough and the metal stress is worth being as calm as possible.

5. Ed
    Ed June 4, 2007 at 6:41 am | | Reply

Talk about stumbling, I’m definetley learning like a newbie! Last night I was at Duane Reade (Manhattan’s version of CVS) picking up some stuff for the week. In the checkout line I felt my normal warning signs for a low – thought it would be a good idea to pick up some life savers or something which of course I didn’t do. So thankfully I think the woman in the picture was looking over me as I walked home – after I got up my stairs my blood sugar had dropped to 42. At what point does it become really dangerous?

6. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson June 4, 2007 at 7:51 pm | | Reply

That is great!

I too LOVE her blog. She has such a fantastic way of putting these things into words.

7. Sarah
    Sarah June 4, 2007 at 8:14 pm | | Reply

Ed, yes 42 IS dangerous. You could fall into a seizure, or crash your car and kill someone if you were driving.

I would change doctors ASAP. Your doctor should have informed you as to what levels are too low, and that you need to carry fast acting sugar ON YOU at ALL TIMES.

If you need proof that low blood sugar is dangerous, please read Amy’s recent post. If you do not know when to treat your low blood sugar, or carry nothing to do so, you are well on your way to becoming another Doug Burns case, or a hypo killer behind the wheel. Since you were walking, you could have passed out in the street. You might not have gotten help in time.

I know some lows are unpreventable and perfect control is impossible(obviously), but there is NO excuse for not carrying glucose on you.

When in doubt, if you think you should buy some extra candy, *always* do it!

Remember that your life is at stake. You can’t rely on the public to be able to know how to help you, as the Doug Burns case proves.

8. Erin
    Erin June 5, 2007 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

Nitpick: Why is she giving the meter her blood *after* it’s given her a blood glucose reading?

9. birdie
    birdie June 7, 2007 at 6:49 am | | Reply

Oh Amy. I’ve been traveling so I haven’t been keeping up on things. I’m just getting back to thanking you for the kind words and link to my blog. It means so much to me, especially because I so respect and value your voice and blog and approach to this journey. You are one of my fav’s too! Thanks again.