Would You Believe… Doug Burns Going to Trial?

I just got off the phone with Mr. Universe himself, Doug Burns. (Whoa, another memory-maker I can thank the diabetes for). As you all know, Doug was recently maced and roughhoused by police during a hypoglycemic event at a movie theater here in Redwood City, CA. During the episode, the policeDougburns assumed he was intoxicated, despite a bystander’s insistance that it might be a diabetes issue. He was handcuffed, thrown into a car, and driven to a nearby ER (all without being given any sugar, I might add).

The whole thing was rather ugly, but later he was able to provide ample evidence that he was indeed experiencing insulin shock. So Game Over, right? WRONG! If you can believe it, despite multiple testimonials from physicians and colleagues, the new and rather ambitious Redwood City district attorney isn’t letting go of this one: starting next week, Doug will be forced to go to trial to prove his innocence, with all the expenses, inconvenience, and negative publicity that entails.

How can they press charges? Supposedly “criminal assault and resisting arrest.” Even though the record shows that Doug never struck anyone, and in fact, he was the only party injured in the incident, a week-and-half later one of the policemen suddenly reported an injury — “strained arm and shoulders.”

I called the Redwood City DA’s office and they confirmed the scheduled dates for Doug’s “pre-trial conference” on May 30 and jury trial on July 2 (no web access to this info unfortunately, but it’s a matter of public record so anyone can confirm via phone). The only way the case could be dismissed, they tell me, is if Doug pleads “no contest” and “takes responsibility for the crime” — meaning up to a year in county jail.

And here’s the thing: Doug is stuck between a rock and a hard place, he tells me, because he’s neither the litigious nor the “victim mentality” type. So he would prefer not to counter-sue, but is being encouraged to do so solely in order to stand up for the rights of all diabetics who may one day find themselves in a similar quandary. “If you don’t sue, in essence you’re saying it’s OK for people in insulin shock to be treated this way,” one adviser told him.

“This is crazy. I feel like I’m ‘guilty until proven innocent’ here. But there’s also a bright side to it because so many people have come forward to support me and share their fears about insulin shock,” he says. “So many kids said the same sort of thing has happened to them, and their friends thought they were on drugs. There’s such a feeling of shame that ‘my sugar was low and something bad happened.’”

Also from the “would-you-believe” file: the authorities pressing charges are publicly chastising Doug for negligence in his diabetes care, on the basis that he was temporarily on injections rather than his usual Animas pump at the time of the incident. This was because he had run out of infusion sets during recent conference travel and was awaiting a new box.

“If life were perfect, this would never have happened… but they need to understand that anyone with type 1 diabetes is pretty much at risk for hypoglycemia at any time,” Doug says.

He also adds: “So many parents have contacted me, sharing their fear that something like this will happen to their child one day. Here I was a well-dressed adult. What if I was 14-year-old kid in baggy pants — who was actually a sweet kid — or what if I were African-American? How would I have been treated then?” Good point, Doug!

Still, the message he would like to convey to the Diabetes Community is: “Please don’t let this dampen your spirits. This is one extreme case and I’m not going to let (the authorities) neglect their responsibility for not allowing this to happen to someone else.”

Doug has also asked me to post a HEARTFELT THANK-YOU to all his supporters who have come forward from Texas, Brazil, Germany, and all over the world! Understandably, he hasn’t had time to answer each email individually, but he hopes to do so eventually.

Logo_sugarfitness_beta_2 In other Doug Burns news, on a more positive note, he’ll be launching a new community website called SugarFitness.com next month. This will be an interactive forum focusing on exercise and dietary issues moderated by Mr. Universe himself, plus some very cool digital athletics demos, I understand.

Got a message for Doug re: his upcoming trial? Feel free to post it here.

1. Kassie
    Kassie May 25, 2007 at 4:28 pm | | Reply

My initial reaction to this was that I could understand – or at least see – how the events unfolded… *up to a point*. Once low blood sugar was established, everything should have changed. I’m mortified that the charges are sticking!

I can’t believe the low that was identified by the EMT personnel was not treated on the scene.

I hope, for Mr. Burns’ sake, this gets sorted out quickly and the DA comes to his/her senses. If he sees clear to counter-sue, he’ll have a nation of people with diabetes ready to testify! (or at least shout their support)

2. Tesney
    Tesney May 25, 2007 at 5:26 pm | | Reply

OMG…I’m so pissed I can’t even comment.

1. Barb
      Barb January 28, 2013 at 4:34 pm | | Reply

I CANNOT understand how this happened, even “up to a point”. Is it ok to beat a drunk, even once they are on the ground, subdued? None of our police are trained to take people down safely – they are only trained to protect their own safety. And too many get enraged and take it out on the person they’re interacting with. What worries me the most for my 2 college age Type 1 diabetic sons is, the head of police in this situation still insisted his police were actin g correctly and are “snesitive to people with medical conditions”. God help the people they are not sensitve to.

3. adam
    adam May 25, 2007 at 6:50 pm | | Reply

Doug,
    you just need to spend good money on your lawyer. Sue, sue, sue. Especially if you were wearing IDDM-identifying jewelry.

4. Ed
    Ed May 25, 2007 at 8:08 pm | | Reply

There has to be some precedent for this trial – if not I actually could see this thing going all the way to the Supreme Court, especially since it will be so high profile. This would have great implications for all of us on sugar lows who acted oddly in a search for sugar to cure low bs. Good luck Doug!

Ironically, his arrest happened a few days after I was diagnosed. Finding out that Mr. Universe has Type 1 diabetes really helped me that week.

5. Anne
    Anne May 25, 2007 at 9:22 pm | | Reply

This is unbelievable. I live in the Bay Area and would be happy to come to the trial to show my support, if it is allowed. Remind me to never visit Redwood City. Can anyone find the contact info for the Redwood DA, or the mayor for Redwood City? Here’s the general info page: http://www.ci.redwood-city.ca.us/contact.html

I guess there’s a phone number there…

I’m glad when I had a recent extremely low BG when taking Symlin that 2 kind strangers gave me their lunches rather than clobber me for acting weird (and then sue me). SHEESH!!!! I’m usually pretty mellow but this makes my blood boil.

6. Anne
    Anne May 25, 2007 at 9:25 pm | | Reply

In fact I’d be happy to testify on diabetes stuff in general or help in any other regard if there is a need! Doug you have our support! I think there are people who would donate financially if they really press forward with this. I hope the judge dismisses it, if that is possible.

-Anne

7. Lauren
    Lauren May 25, 2007 at 9:31 pm | | Reply

Does anyone want to help organize a “Million Diabetics March” on the Redwood City District Attorney’s Office? Their actions are ignorant and beyond disgraceful. First and foremost, a public apology is due Mr. Burns, and a second apology should go to all the type 1′s in the community who have had their sense of safety jeopardized by this horrible incident.

I am newly diagnosed and still in my “honeymoon phase” (much as I hate that term). Because my beta cells are still cranking out insulin in an erratic manner, I can’t predict my exogenous insulin requirements with 100% accuracy. The result — unexpected highs and dangerous lows.

Haven’t the police heard of hypoglycemia unawareness, something that afflicts many long-term diabetics? They can’t always promptly detect and treat an encroaching low.

This issue is an extremely serious one, and we cannot let it go. We have the right to feel safe in our communities. A low blood sugar is a serious medical event that can quickly become a life-threatening emergency. We all know this firsthand and we need to spread the knowledge. With all the focus on the “diabetes epidemic” and the link between obesity and type 2, many people don’t know there is “another” type of diabetes. So many people think of diabetes as a chronic but not immediately life-threatening condition, like hyperlipidemia or heart disease. We need to make it clear that there are two very different forms of the disease, each with their own challenges. In terms of hypoglycemic emergencies, insulin-dependent diabetics are more vulnerable.

I will be writing to my congressman/woman about the incident in Redwood City, as well as contacting the chief of police and district attorney’s office. I’ve also contacted the police department in my Bay Area hometown to ask what their specific policies are when assessing a person for intoxication versus hypoglycemia. (Do they look for Medic-Alert jewelry or a wallet card? Do they call paramedics immediately?) As much as I personally hate to admit it, since I treasure my independence, we could all wind up in situations where our lives depend on others’ degrees of awareness.

As if being a type 1 isn’t hard enough already!!!

8. Red Spar
    Red Spar May 25, 2007 at 10:55 pm | | Reply

This just burns my *ss… A similar incident happened where I live near Seattle where a type 1 diabetic woman had a minor traffic accident and she wouldn’t respond to police to get out of the car. What did the police do….? They TASERED her!!!!

Noooo… don’t even investigate the situation first, just zap away with your tasers….yeeeee-haw! (Like a semi-conscious 35yr old woman is a serious threat to a couple of 200 lbs armed male cops!)

/sarcasm mode off

Read about the story here – http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4186156.html

Doug, don’t lay low on this buddy and be a lion here. You will be the champion for all diabetics with this kind of situation in the future.

When my blood sugar goes low, I am not in my right mind (or left for that matter) and have acted pretty crazy like I was on some serious drugs. As soon as I eat, *poof* back to normal, and totally confounded on the way I acted. Just ask my wife, she’ll testify for you and anyone else how it effects your mental state. I’ve been as low as 32mg/dl before, and when I was I doubt you could distinguish me from a person on LSD or crack. I was in a complete manic panic state.

Hang in there, we’re all behind you!

P.S. – To the Redwood City DA,
    Come on over and let me give you a shot of 10 units of Humalog and lets see how you act.

Grrrrrrr….

-Spar

9. Cheryl Allin
    Cheryl Allin May 25, 2007 at 11:07 pm | | Reply

My first post as a wife of a PWD (RedSpar) and just wanted to add my support – I’ve Dugg this post in the hopes that others can share our outrage and at the very least, come to learn about your wonderful blog. Keep up the inspiring work, you are appreciated!

10. Sarah
    Sarah May 27, 2007 at 12:43 am | | Reply

Un-f*ing believable! I’m sorry, but now I am more terrified than ever to be a Type 1 diabetic. Why is it that Type 1 diabetics of all people are always blamed for their diabetes related issues? I agree that the media and Type 2 focus is to blame. No one has *ANY* idea what Type 1 diabetes is.

I would sue the pants off of any “EMT” that allowed a severe low to go untreated. If Mr. Universe had *died* because of that, we would be reading a totally different story. Type 1′s do NOT have an intact glucagon response like Type 2′s.

I just can’t believe what I read. I really think that the Type 2 focus in the media has done a huge disservice to Type 1′s, and may even be putting our lives at risk. I’ll say it again…how long until virtually no one even knows what Type 1 is or how to treat it?

I am terrified to have a low in public, or need medical treatment. It might be the response to my low blood sugar that will kill me first. If you teaser a hypoglycemia diabetic, they are at an even higher increased risk of sudden cardiac death, as hypoglycemia itself can trigger an arrhythmia. Not to mention brain damage and coma if death does not occur.

Thank you Amy for updating us. This issue is truly appalling. I know the world isn’t exactly fond of diabetics (as most think Type 2 is preventable and that Type 1 is 100% “controllable” with insulin), but I am still shocked at the lack of regard for this poor man.

This could happen to anyone. It is insane to blame him for this. I have had seizures on injections, so if he is as insulin sensitive as me, I can easily see how this happened. Say airport security takes my pump supplies. Or I have to use 3 sites in a day because 2 were bad. Or I am waiting for payday so I can buy more $350 pump infusion sets. I need insulin to live and prevent damaging high blood sugar, so I have to inject in the meantime. Injections are not precise enough for me, and I have a hypo. You can’t win.

11. Hank McGuckin
    Hank McGuckin May 27, 2007 at 10:17 am | | Reply

Doug,
    Yes, sue the bastards! That gets expensive and you’ll be carrying the load for all of us, so maybe Amy’s blog site can lead a fund raising for your legal fees?
    I will certainly contribute. I’ve been a type 1 diabetic for 48 years and have always feared the possibility of an event such as yours. I have even avoided some civil disobedience on issues I really cared about because I wasn’t willing to put my life in the hands of probably ignorant (about diabetes), possibly malicious police. A march of diabetics to Redwood City sounds good, too. Civil disobedience anyone?

12. Erin
    Erin May 27, 2007 at 1:53 pm | | Reply

So you can be negligent for being on shots, or for using a pump, apparently: Gregory Hennick was recently denied a full-time job as a police officer because he was using a pump instead of injections: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/05/pump_leads_poli_1.html

And I have another anecdote showing that the police (and EMTs and the general public) don’t know anything about type 1 diabetes: I was handcuffed and taken to the police station BEFORE they checked my blood sugar or gave me any sugar, because I was in my car at the side of the road and initially unresponsive to requests to get out of the car. My blood sugar was 37 when they finally checked it. (My meter said it was even lower.) I had pulled over because I knew there was something wrong with me! My husband, who was my passenger, told them so, and I was wearing my medical ID, and still they didn’t do the right thing. Good thing I wasn’t violent, I guess!

13. Oz-Sco
    Oz-Sco May 28, 2007 at 8:05 am | | Reply

Just wish to add my support to Doug, we are all behind you the world over. Stand up to this as the whole diabetic community is behind you.
    I myself am a type 1 for 6 months now, (honeymoon! must agree with Lauren? whoever gave it that name never had type 1!, its enough to put me off marrying :P )
    I thought i might share my experience.
    One month after diagnosis I found myself being arrested for assault. I didn’t really know what was going on with me.. I had had a few drinks admittedly (it was the 31st of December!), which probably contributed to my hypo. The first I realised I was being pushed around by this doorman.. The next thing, I remember is being pulled off him. I’m not a big guy, and never done anything like this previously, but in what I can only call a blind rage I had indeed assaulted this fairly big guy. The next thing, the police arrive, and i’m being thrown in a cell.
    I was lucky, the police decided not to charge me, as several witnesses said I had been provoked . In the UK the fact that he had pushed me first, generally means he started it. What scared me most, was the lack of control I had in the whole situation. I’ve now learned much more about hypo’s (I think that was only the 3rd i’d ever had), and with the help of my diabetic nurse (they should all attain sainthood!), I understand what happened that night.
    I think the Police service have a responsibility to understand how peoples behaviour can be affected by medical conditions such as hypo’s, they way Doug is being treated is outrageous!

14. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell May 28, 2007 at 5:52 pm | | Reply

Sometime I question the ‘law’ and the decisions that they make. In this case it seems to be an attorney who’s trying to make a name for himself. And maybe he’ll succeed, but not in the way he intended.

Does it make sense for all of us to call the attorney involved and ask them why they’re doing this? Perhaps by inundating them with calls they’ll understand there’s a population of folks who are watching this closely.

Amy, what do you think, would it make things better or worse for Doug if we were to protest in some way?

Is Doug blogging anywhere?

15. Chloe B.
    Chloe B. May 29, 2007 at 7:30 am | | Reply

If you are upset about this, you should check out a recent post on sixuntilme.com about a car accident in San Jose. Apparently, the man corrected a high, went low and killed someone. A tragedy for sure, but they DA is trying to prosecute him as “being under the influence” relating insulin to an overdose on a prescription drug. Talk about scary.

People just don’t get it!

16. Lauren
    Lauren May 29, 2007 at 1:26 pm | | Reply

Let’s really make our voices heard on this one, guys!

I called the Redwood City chief of police on my lunch break today and spoke with a Lisa in his office. She brushed off my concerns and said her father and mother-in-law are diabetic and the police are well aware of the needs of diabetics in the community. I asked which type her relatives are. She wasn’t sure. I asked if they inject insulin. The answer was no.

Yet another example of unbelievable ignorance among police department personnel!

I have been diagnosed fewer than 6 months, and things are just getting scarier …

17. Kim
    Kim May 29, 2007 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

I’m so angry my chest hurts. This is wrong on SO MANY DIFFERENT LEVELS!

One point I’d like to address is why a paramedic was giving a “glucose drink” to an altered person?

Even if the police department felt they needed to respond as the did at the time, once a medical reason was discovered that should have been the end of it. Period.

I’ll be watching this one really closely – after I get my breath back. {fuming!}

18. Sara
    Sara May 29, 2007 at 3:01 pm | | Reply

Appalling. Utterly appalling.

19. Trusted.MD Network
    Trusted.MD Network May 29, 2007 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

Arrested for hypoglycemia

An ignorant DA is continuing with charges against diabetic Doug Burns, who was arrested during a hypoglycemic episode:
    . . . the authorities pressing charges are publicly chastising Doug for negligence in his diabetes care, on the basis that he was tempor

20. DensityDuck
    DensityDuck May 29, 2007 at 5:48 pm | | Reply

Lauren: Yeah, I get that a lot. “Oh, you’re diabetic? So is my mom/grandmom/aunt/uncle/granddad/older-relative-who-spent-their-entire-life-sitting-down-and-eating-sugar.”

21. Kerri
    Kerri May 29, 2007 at 7:28 pm | | Reply

I am appalled, disturbed and as a mother of a type 1 diabetic, frightened that my daughter will one day be at the mercy of such ignorance. It is the duty of those with diabetes and those who love them to educate, educate, educate!! Doug, I am so sorry this happened to you but I am grateful to you….any awareness your terrible ordeal has created, serves my daughter, thank you for your endurance and good luck to you.

22. Lauren
    Lauren May 29, 2007 at 11:12 pm | | Reply

If the charges against Doug aren’t dropped, I say that we Bay Area diabetics SHOULD stage a protest.

I am in my twenties and have recently been diagnosed as I mentioned above. This is already a scary time, made worse by the realization that type 1′s can’t count on help and proper medical care when an emergency happens in public. I bicycle and take the train to work, two things I have been loath to relinquish due to diabetes. I carry glucose tablets and do less insulin when I know I’ll be active; however, I am definitely at risk for a low in a public place. I will have type 1 for the rest of my life, 65+ years if I’m lucky. I think we need to take a stand on this NOW and pave the way to a safer world for all diabetics. We’re all human beings, diabetic or not, and we should look out for each other!

23. Doug Burns
    Doug Burns June 4, 2007 at 5:08 pm | | Reply

Hey Everyone,
    Apologies, I’m a day late and a dollar short on my response! Thank you…every one of you! Anne, I would have taken you up on the offer had I read it early enough. The March would have been wholly accepted had this gone to trial Lauren, you’re right, we should look out for each other and that is exactly what you all did. Somehow I will make it up to you guys. Spar, could have used your support that night! Sarah, I understand your dismay and you are correct Type 2’s should get another name. Hank I could have used you there too! As well as you Oz-Sco and you’re right, having a low can make you step into realm you never thought existed. If I do partake in the new video we are discussing I want to use the segment from “A Beautiful Mind” in which R. Crowe is intentionally subjected to insulin shock as a treatment for bi-polar. Pretty graphic. Bernard again apologies for not responding sooner I will in the future both here and at Sugarfitness in the near fututre.
    Chloe, they attempted to use that line about the unfortunate situation in San Jose against me. Kim when the paramedic tried to get me to drink the gluco-drink, I moved my eyes under the stream, because they were on fire, of course it found its way into my mouth, fire hot glucose ☺. Kerri, please don’t worry too much about your child, I sincerely think & the treatment I received will help bring light enough to the subject that your daughter will be OK, please encourage her and tell I said “hello”.
    I had stated earlier that the support I received from you all made this a virtual walk in the park, (even though there were a few droppings we hit:) Initially I may have simply pushed the issue aside, but some of the remarks made at the scene and after hearing the claims the da was pushing, “he forgot to take his insulin” “had he just told the officers his condition”, etc, I became a little irate. On the night before the trial Micah and I discussed the bargains they would be offering but they all included charges. When you all and the community stood up it became apparent that I couldn’t back away. The struggle was that I didn’t want to involve my children any more than they had been already. They too encouraged me to stand up for the other kids. Little kids newly diagnosed who’d maybe feel guilty for ever getting low, you guys and everyone of us being charged here it became very apparent no charges could be accepted. I stated earlier that all of us with T-1 know the hardship it can create but it’s people like you who, instead of complaining, stepped up and over the hardships that face us. Your perseverance shines like a light to people who sometimes can’t express their difficulties. Once again, you did shout your support, I heard it loud and clear and am indebted to you all.
    Very truly,
    Doug Burns

24. william
    william June 20, 2007 at 4:59 pm | | Reply

I would like to add a comment. 4 years I was very fit and normal weight and height (5’10″ and 170) 35 year male in the active Army. I had high blood pressure since I was 25 and taking atenonlol, HCTZ, and adalat. I was having vision problems at night and had perfect vision at daytime (20/400 corrected to perfect with no glasses), I was elated, I thought it was great. I starting losing weight and had to drink and pee all the time. I worked in Fort Richardson, Alaska and Delta Junction, a 330 mile drive that I did 2-3 times a week. I had to drink about 24 bottles of water on each drive because I was so thristy. I remember thinking the drive was good cause I could pull off anywhere and pee because it was so remote here in Alaska. The thrist was so intense and very annouying to my girlfriend. I thought I was dehydrated and it would pass. Our unit had a physical fitness test (PT) and for the first time in my then 16 year career, I failed the 2 mile run because I was so dead tired. I went to the medics and the PA did blood test and my glucose level was 900. My A1C was 17.

This is the point where my life has been a nightmare. After immediate insulin, oral meds and diet changes made no effect. A C-peptide test was done and I was a rare Adult onset type 1. Try to tell that to most doctors and almost all lay people. “you have diabetes as an adult because you are overweight or eat badily” is the response from most, including the majority of “diabetes educators”. I then started a regime of Lantus and Novolog that worked, but I was having fits of rage that I could not explain.
    During PT runs, I would pass out and stumble home. My physical activity was limited and my weight grew. This fits of rage went for 2 years cuminating in my separtation from the Army and 5 minor misdeamnor convictions for telephonic threatening calls that I regret but have little or no recall on making. After each time I was stumbling and my sugar was very low.

I just learned about beta-blockers from my former boss who saw a show on Discovery-Health who was a Type 1 and on a Beta-blocker and charged with manslaughter road rage. She was aquitted. My doctor stopped the atennolol (beta-blocker) and for the first time since I have been diabetic, I felt hypoglcemia with the rapid heartbeat and sweats. I am know a criminal due to something could have been totally prevented.

I am so sick of hearing people say that diabetes is an epidemic and we caused it by bad lifestyle and eating. Type 1 is genetic plain, pure and simple, at any age diagnosed. I agree that Type 2 is “Chunky Butt and twinkle and Ho-Ho disease”, but they need a different name from Type 1 diabetes.

25. Jerry Nairn
    Jerry Nairn July 13, 2007 at 11:51 am | | Reply

Hey, Doug,
    I totally agree that it is unfair to see “diabetes” referred to as a “lifestyle disease” and to be blamed for having it. However, it is nearly as unfair to blame Type 2 diabetics as it is to blame Type 1.
    I have been a type 1 diabetic for over 30 years, so I am not saying this to defend myself.
    There is almost always a genetic component to diabetes, type 1 or 2. Many people live their entire lives grossly overweight, but don’t develop any diabetic symptoms. Others develop “type 2″ while being only moderately overweight.
    In your particular case, your C-peptide test indicated an extremely low or non-existent insulin production. For some, their insulin production is just reduced.
    Just like you and I, it’s not because of anything they did.

Sure, there are many type 2 diabetics who could and should live healthier lives. But the same is true for the rest of the population.
    No diabetic is to blame for having the disease.

On a different topic, there’s a side of your case that I think bears some thought.
    What if there was a drunk outside the theater? Would the actions of these cops have been correct? Was it only wrong because you didn’t want to be incoherent?
    The usher walked you out of the theater without incident. You were unable to put up a fight. And a group of armed police maced you and beat you.
    I can’t see the excuse for their actions, even if we take diabetes out of the situation.

I’m glad everything worked out with the DA’s office.
    You have my deep respect for your accomplishments.

26. julie
    julie July 19, 2007 at 1:57 pm | | Reply

Personally, I agree with everyone saying Doug should sue. There is no way that the county would win… there’s this thing called the Americans With Diabilities Act and people with diabetes are covered. It’s pure discrimination and I’m totally outraged by the whole ordeal. I’ve had type 1 diabetes for 7 years and work for a nonprofit diabetes organization, i know diabetes like the back of my hand but it seems like we are the only ones. Diabetes affects 5 times more people than AIDS but continues to receive minimal attention. It is time we do something about that! Don’t let the UN Resolution on Diabetes mean nothing. SUE SUE SUE!!!

27. James
    James December 16, 2008 at 9:00 am | | Reply

Thank you, this article gives me some hope!!

I am being charged this week by Tuolumne Co., Californis for actions during an insulin shock episode last August.

My wife had called 911 for assistance, the sherriff’s arrived a half hour later and laughed? I ended up in a coma.

I have been a brittle type-1 diabetic since 1967 and keep good to excellent control.

28. James
    James December 16, 2008 at 9:44 am | | Reply

Thank you for this informative blog, it has been very informative!

The Tuolumne Co., CA DA is filing charges against me for actions during an episode of insilin shock last August.

My wife had called 911 for assistance as I was past the point of “no return” the sherrifs dept arrived a half hour later and laughed at my condition?

To make a long story short, ..I fell into a coma.

29. James
    James December 16, 2008 at 10:58 am | | Reply

I apologize for posting twice.

30. Jack Sprat
    Jack Sprat December 26, 2008 at 3:28 pm | | Reply

As stated above “a week-and-half later one of the policemen suddenly reported an injury — “strained arm and shoulders.”
    Amazing. This sleezy, “Pig” slob humping son-of-a V.D. infested whore, this…this…degenerate so called “cop” reports and injury he may or might not have had…but IF he did in fact sustain injury…..What? During the beating of this physically “sick” defensless man, the worthless bastard pulled a muscle, while using his club? Awwww….poor lil’oinky doink’r.
    As for the D.A. , in a typicall manner of steaming ahead with a so called case (all at tax payers expense, of course) even though all evidence points to the mans innocence. Not only is this a text book example of (“malicious prosicution”) but this D.A. isn’t worthy practicing law and be fired……and dis-barred for life. The officers involved should be fired, arrested, and charged with gang related assult, convicted, jailed, and lose any and all pensions. Plus they should personally pay the mans medical bills + pain and suffering. This, besides the lawsuit the man should file against ALL involed parties. The entirety of this whole episode totally and completely disgusts and disturbs me on multiple levels. *pukes*

31. Doug Jonsson
    Doug Jonsson July 29, 2010 at 4:44 pm | | Reply

Don’t let abusive cops or DA’s get away with things like this. It’s hard to believe that they would be so ignorant of this sort of health issue considering the constant contact they have with the public. You made it out alive. But what about the next person they treat like that? He might not be as lucky as you. You owe it to the safety of others to see that the cops and DA get handled so this won’t dare happen again.

32. We3ndy Brown
    We3ndy Brown September 30, 2010 at 3:33 pm | | Reply

Hi! My name is Wendy and I was diagnosed withBrittle Type 1 Diabetes in 1984 and I am turning 32 this November. I have been in lots of trouble with the law while experiencing severe hypoglycemia unawareness. One time I called 911 for help and I dropped the phone and had to call back, instead they sent the police who arressted me, took me to jail and I was charged and convicted for violation of 911. Upon being booked into the Dougherty County jail I passed out and they had to treat me with a glucagon shot after my fingerstick read 42. My husbandond bonded me out on a1,ooo dollar bond. When I went to court the Judge would Not review my medical files and sentenced me to 12 months probation and community service. I have had frequent episodes of hypoglycemia unawareness and the EMTs’ know us very well. Well recently the Department of Family and Children Services took my children and have charged me with Negligence. I was the one being medically neglected while in the jail and I’m the one who wants to sue the @#$% OUT OF Albany, Ga. I have had my Constitutional rights violated so many times I forget the number!!! I am very upset about the numerous times I have been abused and neglected by law enforcement, even raped and how do you explain something like that to your spouse. I am not overweight and don’t eat lots of sugar or fast food in fact I am only 5ft. tall and weight about 110 lbs. skinny as a pole, and light as a feather. People never believe mee when my head starts jerking, and my speech is slurred and I tried to tell them “I’m diabetic” My advice to any parents with young adolesences don’t let them out of your sight!! And if you have been diagnosed with Brittle Type 1 diabetes never leave home without a family member or a friend cause people will take advantage of you!! You will get raped, robbed,assaulted or arressted!!! This is the reality of life and you shouldn’t ignore it or never forget it. I’m speaking from PERSONAL EXPERIENCES, that have been psychologically damaging for me, I live in fear for my life!!!!! I support you Doug in suing and I wish you the best of luck in not letting the real criminals get away with their injustice to you or to us, the rest of the Brittle type 1 population. I am going on Insulin pump therapy next week and I am hiding out from the law for the rest of my life or until they run me down!!!

33. mike
    mike April 11, 2013 at 9:41 pm | | Reply

i was recently arrested for assault also and am type1 diabetic.i was in hypoglycemic shock when a freind found me and called an ambulance. the EMT that came was in my house several months earlier for the same thing.i was told i punched him by my freind and the EMT asked him to leave so he did.i was taken to the ER and was put in a drug induced sleep to keep me non combative and given an iv “sugar drip”when i awoke i was cut 2 places on my head 2 black eyes and swollen face!! the EMT OBVIOUSLY “subdued” me as stated in the med. report!! i would call it assault but its okay for a healthy EMT to knowingly assault me but i cant unintentionally or knowingly assault him!!now the DA will not drop the case and i have to go to trial to prove myself innocent. something needs to be done to protect us diabetics!!! i was not on drugs or drinking alcohol as the toxicology resuls proved…just hypoglycemic so i guess its a crime to have this disease!!

34. Conrad
    Conrad November 21, 2013 at 11:20 pm | | Reply

Collect coupons for products you buy each week at the store.

Taking a training class sounds a good idea for your Cisco 642-813 exam for it will
    not only teach you how to pass the exam but also some skills
    that will be rather useful ii your future career.
    It also bears the title of the ‘University of the Year 2011 -12′.

35. jual buku online
    jual buku online December 18, 2013 at 2:37 am | | Reply

I am really loving the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues?
    A number of my blog audience have complained about my website not operating correctly in Explorer
    but looks great in Opera. Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

36. connor connolly