A few items you will definitely want to know about if you read this blog:
* Jenni Prokopy over at ChronicBabe is hosting an essay contest on “the most thoughtful or creative way someone has helped you” with your chronic condition. Five lucky winners will receive copies of Lisa J. Copen’s cool new book, Beyond Casseroles: 505 Ways to Encourage a Chronically Ill Friend. The contest is open to both Chronic Babes and Chronic Pals, Jenni notes, so get those entries in by Friday, May 18! (Note: my “Chronic Bits” title is borrowed from Jenni’s excellent, newly made-over site)
* A new social network for diabetics from bilingual blogger Manny Hernandez: TuDiabetes brings you photos, videos, personal stories, humor and much more. Many OCer’s are already on board, and I just joined yesterday. Nice work, Manny!
* More places to take your diabetes on the web: Wikia, sister company of the ubiquitous user-generated encyclopedia Wikipedia, has started a set of health wikis, including Diabetes Wiki. I had a talk with its host and founder Danny Horn, also the force behind the shockingly popular Muppet Wiki, and he is very hot to invite the OC community to join in the wiki fun.
* Specialized and free-of-charge (!) training for ADA Tour de Cure bike riders from Fitness4Diabetics.com. This group is teaming up with the ADA to offer special one-hour web seminars/call-ins for ADA Tour de Cure participants, run by the Fitness4Diabetics coaching team: Certified Diabetes Educators, nurses, exercise physiologists, registered dietitians and personal trainers. The next session is set for May 24 at 7pm EST. And of particular note: participants will be entered in a drawing for a “complimentary four-month integrated membership in Fitness4Diabetics.com valued at $525.” Hey, I could use that!
* And for those who follow the phenomenon of healthcare blogging, you might be interested in THIS.
Happy Monday, everyone. Enjoy!