Diabetes, Twittered

Just a heads-up that today is a very special day for the convergence of diabetes anTwitterd technology: Computer Zen wizard Scott Hanselman (ca. 20 years Type 1) is documenting his “day with diabetes” blow-by-blow using the nifty new net-tracking tool, Twitter.

The idea was to “give folks who don’t think about diabetes a little insight into how often I, and 20 million others, either do, or should, be thinking about their diabetes. I’d also like you to imagine if a small child had this disease, and how a parent of a small child deals with it,” Hanselman writes.

At my check-in time, 8:54am Pacific, our man was reporting: “Out of the shower, reconnecting the insulin pump tube to me. The tube is 43″ long. The pump has 4 days worth of insulin.

Check it out, People. Maybe the best thing going since Justin.tv? :)

****** UPDATE: ******

Regarding results, Scott has reported that he hit the front page of Twitter.com, has a possible news article coming out in The Oregonian, and he raised another $2000 dollars toward diabetes research. Nice job, everyone!

************

1. George
    George May 18, 2007 at 9:40 am | | Reply

What a great idea!

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell May 18, 2007 at 9:51 am | | Reply

Maybe this will make normal folks realize just how much work this.

I’ve suggested to Scott that we need a D-bloggers Twitter day. We’d all Twitter what we’re doing on that day, and raise awareness of diabetes.

3. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez May 18, 2007 at 12:25 pm | | Reply

Great way to raise awareness. You in Twitter, Amy? I am at http://twitter.com/askmanny

4. Marston A.
    Marston A. May 18, 2007 at 1:48 pm | | Reply

Yeah I saw his posts earlier in the day and thought it was a great idea.

I know its something I do myself and probably a feature we might integrate into SugarStats. Twitter rocks, I’m over at http://twitter.com/marston

5. Brad Slaight
    Brad Slaight May 18, 2007 at 10:58 pm | | Reply

I always remember that I have diabetes 24/7 so I have to control it 24/7.

Amy, I love your blogsite and appreciate that you put all the time and effort into creating and maintaining it. You are making a difference!

Brad

6. Michelle
    Michelle May 19, 2007 at 4:35 pm | | Reply

gosh, it makes me tired to read it all out like that! Sometimes I forget the extent to which I “am” my child’s pancreas.