DA: Doug Burns Case to be Dismissed!!

Looks like we have a victory, Folks!

I just got off the phone with Asst. DA Morley Pitt, and he has confirmed what Vivian reported early this am: Doug Burns’ case is to be dismissed this morning!!

Queried on why, Mr. Pitt states, “We have conducted further investigation and concluded that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute the case against Mr. Burns.”

Provided the dismissal goes smoothly, what an excellent testiment to the Power of the Community. THANK YOU all for your passionate advocacy here.
Burns_doug
Our best wishes to Doug and his family!!

1. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez May 30, 2007 at 9:26 am | | Reply

ROCK ON!!! God bless you for what you do, shedding light on things like this.

2. Khurt Williams
    Khurt Williams May 30, 2007 at 10:09 am | | Reply

This is great news! Thanks for fighting the good fight.

3. Dave
    Dave May 30, 2007 at 10:17 am | | Reply

That is great news!!! I really would like to know how many voice mails they got. Amy-thank you for providing the info for us to call so that we could help Doug out.

Dave

4. Andy Bell
    Andy Bell May 30, 2007 at 10:18 am | | Reply

Thank you very much Amy for your hard work on this case and keeping us posted. This is definately a victory for diabetics everywhere!

5. Anne
    Anne May 30, 2007 at 10:20 am | | Reply

Congrat’s Doug! I’m sorry you had to go through all of this nonsense. Let’s hope that the police learn something from it. Thanks Amy for keeping us well-informed.

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell May 30, 2007 at 10:29 am | | Reply

Excellent. Thanks Amy for getting the ball rolling on this.

I get the impression that the press has not been giving us the full story (from both the DA’s and Doug’s point of view). But it’s good that it’s being dismissed.

7. Drea
    Drea May 30, 2007 at 10:54 am | | Reply

Thank you for the update, and for the excellent news!

8. Sarah
    Sarah May 30, 2007 at 11:27 am | | Reply

About time! It’s funny to think that people like us actually might have made a difference not only for Doug, but also Type 1 diabetics everywhere.

While I know there will still be major ignorance in the world, if even one diabetic can be saved due to this, there is hope.

Amy, you rock for bringing this to our attention, and following through. Big congrats to everyone who called, and also to everyone who posted their thoughts and comments here. I hope the DA checked out Amy’s site.

Doug, I am *so* sorry you had to go through that. All of us were truly horrified and terrified it may happen to us. Perhaps your ordeal may save a hypo Type 1 teen from being arrested and hauled off to jail for “being drunk” in public.

We need to protect people when they’re most vulnerable, not deny them help.

9. Tesney
    Tesney May 30, 2007 at 11:27 am | | Reply

HIP HIP HOORAY! Good for Doug (and the rest of us)!

10. carol
    carol May 30, 2007 at 11:34 am | | Reply

Awesome! Calling was on my “to do” list today, but I’m happy that it’s no longer necessary. Thanks to everyone who did.

11. Nicole
    Nicole May 30, 2007 at 11:43 am | | Reply

I left messages for both of them last night. Awesome that this working out the way it is. Terrible that this happened this way to start with – best to Doug and his family!

12. Red Spar
    Red Spar May 30, 2007 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

Stick it to the man! ;)

Good work everyone!

13. Micah Jacobs
    Micah Jacobs May 30, 2007 at 4:01 pm | | Reply

Hello Everyone, I am the attorney who helped convince the D.A. to dismiss these absurd charges. I must say I am quite impressed with all of you and your community and how much your vocal support helped us. Thank you Amy and everyone else. I learned quite a bit about the important health and safety issues your community lives with every day. We are business lawyers not criminal lawyers, but we were so impressed by Doug, his pro bono work with children with diabetes and your community, and also troubled by the manner in which law enforcement handled this (until today, that is), that we offered to take Doug’s case pro bono. And now we’re seeing an amazing community in action and it’s been a great experience.

Thank you for all the support — it was a tremendous help.

Micah Jacobs

14. Simon
    Simon May 30, 2007 at 6:03 pm | | Reply

YAY!

Insufficient evidence? Should have been “no case to answer” to my mind but at least it’s gone now. It must be a great weight off Mr. Burns’ mind.

15. Allie Beatty
    Allie Beatty May 30, 2007 at 7:04 pm | | Reply

Yayyyyyy!! No wonder they didn’t return my call ;) They probably dismissed the case as soon as Amy put them **ON NOTICE** ;)

Way to make it happen, Amy! :)

16. M
    M May 30, 2007 at 8:03 pm | | Reply

YAY!! What great news to wake up to!

I love the way this story came out and instantly got Doug such amazing support. I’m fairly new to the blogging community but have loved seeing how people get together for support when someone needs it. You’re all so darned wonderful!

Doug, as much as this whole thing would’ve totally sucked for you… I’m kinda glad it helped to bring hypo issues out in the open a little. Sorry you had to go through all that, but again you’ve been a great example and probably led the way for others who may go through a similar situation. Thank you for dealing with all the fuss in such a great manner! And thank you for all you do daily, you’re truly a great example as a fit & able diabetic. Someone to look up to and someone to learn from.

Micah – Thanks for your part in this, what a ride it must’ve been, and a learning curve too by the sounds of it!

Once again, YAY!!!!!

17. Anne
    Anne May 30, 2007 at 9:27 pm | | Reply

Micah,
    Thanks for posting your comments, and for doing pro bono work for Doug (and basically the rest of us, indirectly). As you can tell, we were all pretty much furious and dumb-founded by the whole situation. I am glad that Doug can get back to his life now, and that the DA realized his mistake before dragging Doug along any further.

Best wishes,
    Anne

18. Lauren
    Lauren May 31, 2007 at 7:27 pm | | Reply

I am new to the diabetes community and I am impressed by what an informed and active community it is!

Thank you, Doug, for bearing this burden with such grace. Micah, I second the notion that you represented all of us.

Now, if only the police department would issue a public apology and tell us they learned something from this episode …

19. Doug Burns
    Doug Burns June 4, 2007 at 2:03 pm | | Reply

Thank you very much….Allie, Andy, Amy :) , Anne, Bernard, Carol, Dave, Drea, Khurt, Lauren, Manny, BM- Big Micah, Nicole, Red Spar, Sarah, Simon, and Vivian too! Thank you for the support, the encouragement, the compliments, and the understanding. One of you stated so correctly that this brings light to the low BS issue that we all have to deal with. All of us with T-1 know the hardship it can create but it’s people like you who, instead of complaining, step up and over the hardships that face us. This so strongly encourages other people not just with T-1 but with other adversities as well. Your perseverance shines like a light to people who sometimes can’t express their difficulties. Honestly it was all the support from people like you and the little kids that let Micah and I stand up to the incredible rubbish that was being slung at me and at p/w/T1. It was an honor to do so. Will keep you posted on the details as they come out.
    Thank you again so very much :) If you’re coming to the CWD conference in Orlando or DESA in Colorado, please stop by and say “hi”.
    Doug

20. Richard
    Richard March 1, 2008 at 12:09 am | | Reply

Type 1 vs Type 2 – just a note for those type 1′s who think type 2′s don’t also sometimes suffer from hypoglycemia – depending on the medication, us type 2′s can also go hypo – and yes, it does the same thing to us. And quite a few type 2′s do eventually end up on glucose, so it’s not really an exclusive club. Granted, there are newer medications for type 2′s that lessen or eliminate the frequency/likelihood of going hypo, but when it happens, we get the same sweats, rapid breathing, disorientation, etc. that type 1′s get. Getting the public educated about diabetes is the real issue here! Doug, congratulations! Maybe the momentum gained here can become something even greater and help people to recognize diabetes for what it is – a malfunction of the body that manifests itself in the way we metabolize glucose and that can can cause life threatening conditions, no matter what your type.

21. Scott Stockburger
    Scott Stockburger January 6, 2009 at 6:20 pm | | Reply

I have a similar story to Mr. Burns and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. In making a lon story short, On December 15, 2008, I was returning to Dallas from a ski trip to the Salt Lake area. My flight suffered several delays and I did not pick up something to eat on the return trip. Between Albuquerquie and Dallas I went to sleep and went into insulin shock. When the plane landed everyone exited but me as I was slumped over in my seat. The Flight Attendants tried to wake me but said I became beligerant and was generally un responsive. The Dallas Police came and carted me away to an area and arrested me for disorderly conduct. 2 hours later in the police processing area of the airport I finally became cognizant of what was going on and explained to the officer what the problem was. He stated that now I was being nice and responsive only after seeing the result of my actions. I continued to explain the condition and they asked the ems to check my blood sugar. When checked it was at 100. That’s after a 2 hour second flight leg and sitting in the detention area for 2.5 hours. He said that I should be thankful I was only charged with disorderly conduct and that I would be in jail overnight. He also asked what the device was on my belt and said that I had screamed when they trie to remove it (My Insulin Pump). He said they thought it was an mp3 player/ipod. In short, no one ever suspected that there was a medical issue. Not the flight attendants who assumed I was being beligerant, even though I was never served any food or beverage on either leg of the flight, because I was sleeping/slipping into shock from the onset. It was a pretty awful experience. One I would hope that no Diabetic would have to suffer. There is far more detai as the police roughed me up fairly well, including torn rotator cuff on both shoulders, cuts and bruises on the wrists from being cuffed not to mention the constant numbness in left index finger and thumb since due to the cuffs being on too tight for 2.5 hours and me not being coherent to complain. Any thoughts or advice on pursuing this is appreciated. Unlike Mr. Burns, my goal is to at least stick it to every cop that was involed in the event and make them think twice in the future about cause and effects. Thanks, My email is d.stockburger@sbcglobal.net