Cranky Post

For those of you who still think I’m too chipper, I’ll have you know that even though life is pretty great at the moment, the diabetes has been hovering in the background like a stubborn zit: just can’t seem to enjoy a full day without being reminded of how stupid and ugly it is… Therefore, today a Cranky Post (or Crost), a la Kerri.

FLOP… Cranky_pants
So I clock in at 184 the other afternoon, program a quick correction and go on about my business. Then about an hour and a half later, I realize I do actually have time for a short jog. Yay!  Set out, armed with glucose tabs as usual. Feel great. Run like the wind.  Eat one glucose tab in anticipation of possible lowness.  About half-way home I am IMMOBILIZED. I mean, none of the usual hot sweats or fluttery feeling or shakes. Just can’t run. Can’t hardly walk, as a matter of fact.  Don’t exactly feel low, either, just unable to move forward.  Eat three more glucose tabs and the entire pack of raisins on hand.  Shuffle home, which takes a ridiculous 45 minutes for about 3 blocks.  Get in the door and test: 67. Shit.  Eat some more. Lots more. Test again about 20 minutes later: 65. Shit x2.   So what did I hit out there on the jog? 42? Or my record low of 36?  OK, I know it’s stupid to run after a correction, but sometimes I’m just ready to run when I’m ready to run.  Got that, diabetes?!

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ…
Last night at about 4am I am awoken by an incessant buzzzzzzz. Groggy, I look around for some device that hubby and I have forgotten to switch off. Nothing comes to mind. I pop my head up, and the buzzing stops. Good. Lay back down, it starts again. We play this little game for a few minutes, the buzzing and I, until I’m really awake and starting to worry: isn’t Ringing in Your Ears an early sign of Alzheimer’s or something?  Or is the diabetes ruining my hearing, too?  I shake hubby awake and shout: “DO YOU HEAR THAT BUZZING?!”  He squints at me and replies, “Now I do, yeah.”  Whew.

I stumble into the bathroom to discover a “pod expiration alert: insulin delivery stopped.”  WtF, now?!  I’m on a 72-hour rotation so why the ungodly hour all of a sudden?  Did I actually manage to miss all those pre-expiration alert beeps?  Could it have something to do with all that Muscadet and Pinot Gris the night before (our 16th Wedding Anniversary)?  Well, crap. At least I heard it now.  So there I am on our precious Anniversary Morn — while Grandma is watching the kids so we can sleep in for once in 16 years — changing my pod at 5:46am, after which I am lying awake wondering if I do have tinnitus after all. Thank you, diabetes.

SHUDDER…
You all know I love my OmniPod, but I must admit, the stand-alone FreeStyle meter I used before was definitely more accurate.  The one built in to the OmniPod just goes nutcakes on me periodically. I’m doing great at a post-meal 135, and then an hour later I’m at 342?!  No way… Or a suddenly 249 to follow that low-carb breakfast choice?  Yikes.  So I’ve learned to use a lot of Control Solution to reset the thing.  Which means using up a lot of test strips (are you listening, Blue Shield?)  But I still keep falling in that overcorrection trap.  Every time I get a high reading I still savor the experience of simply pushing a button to accept the automatic recommended correction.  Perhaps a Pumper-Rookie mistake?  Anyway I’m still rattled by the meter discrepancies and pretty darn sick of this roller coaster ride!

Cranky = knowing I can’t ever entirely disembark.  Just let me coast for a little while, will ya?

1. joan
    joan May 1, 2007 at 9:15 am | | Reply

Boy can I relate to your post. As a matter of fact while reading it, I had those “tingling” feelings, tested and was 56 (and right after breakfast, too). Guess, we just need to be really grateful for those “even keel” days.

2. Anne
    Anne May 1, 2007 at 2:11 pm | | Reply

I hate hate hate! getting low when I exercise. So I completely understand your frustration!! Sorry your run was spoiled by a stubbornly low BG.

I now carry a fuel belt pack (like this one: http://www.fuelbelt.com/fuel_belts/2_bottle.html )

I stuff as many gels as possible in the pack, and put my meter in one of the water holders. They are designed to not bounce, and are pretty comfy actually. I pretty much always carry my meter for runs over a half hour, or if I suspect for any reason that I might drop low. I’ve burned through 4-5 gels on runs when I wasn’t planning on eating anything. (I really hate it when that happens! Argh! Who wants to eat 500 calories worth of syrup, really.)

I have found that the GU’s absorb pretty quickly for me, and that some of the others can be somewhat slow (as they are advertised to be). They also pack a pretty big punch–20-25 g carbs–in just seconds. I would imagine the glucose tabs are faster to absorb; anyway, when I used those, they always seemed to get pulverized and powder would get on everything!

Sorry about the pump interruptions, too. It would be nice to walk away from it once in a while, eh?

Hope the rest of your week improves… How’s the new bike? :)

-Anne

3. Karen
    Karen May 1, 2007 at 3:56 pm | | Reply

And to think I thought your diabetes was perfect and it was just ME having all these similar experiences, ha ha.

I thought you were on the dexcom CGMS? That would of helped your run tremendously, and man I hate the fact that I cannot exercise on a bolus, but I do avoid it because of your exact post, grrrr. I bolused less for my lunch just because I was gonna walk around at the zoo on Sunday with my 2 year old niece, went low anyway. :(

Karen

4. Denise
    Denise May 1, 2007 at 6:00 pm | | Reply

I think I spent my whole last week-end in LOWS. I hate it to. Hope your week turns out better.

5. Vicki
    Vicki May 1, 2007 at 8:02 pm | | Reply

A glucose tab before a run clearly isn’t enough. As you learned. Here’s your chance to enjoy a banana. Maybe even a banana and a cookie. Or an orange. Check your BG before that run. Eat that banana! And cookie too, if your BG is less than 125. Do your run. And do carry your meter with you! Along with those glucose tabs.

6. Sarah
    Sarah May 1, 2007 at 10:53 pm | | Reply

This is the joy that is Type 1 diabetes folks! Your insulin needs can never be perfectly matched/figured out, and for many, your insulin needs change from day to day, even in the exact same situation. I have had periods of random lows and extreme insulin sensitivity for no apparent reason. I assume I may make small amounts of insulin from time to time as my autoimmunity waxes and wanes. Add in diabetes “technology” screw ups, and this disease makes you want to scream! I hear you Amy! :)

7. Sarah
    Sarah May 1, 2007 at 10:54 pm | | Reply

P.S. Never go for a run without reducing your correction! In some cases you may not even not need one, or only a very small amount.

8. Anne
    Anne May 2, 2007 at 8:02 am | | Reply

One of my biggest puzzles is to figure out how to eat a decent meal before a race, without taking so much insulin that I bottom out, yet not so little that I’m in the 300′s! So far, my approach is to eat <45 g carbs and take maybe 70% of my bolus about 2 hours beforehand. But when I am facing a 6+ hour race, I could probably use something a little more substantial.

On the other hand, sometimes I wonder when non-diabetics eat a high-carb meal, and their bodies presumably output a full dose of insulin for it, do they also experience some sort of bottoming out effect? I realize that their livers are probably responding normally and unleashing a bunch of glucose in response. Does this have any negative effect on performance? Also, is there anything besides glucose/glycogen/glucagon that can counteract the effects of insulin?

Any biochemists out there? :)
    Anne

9. Emily
    Emily May 2, 2007 at 8:27 am | | Reply

First of all I’d like to say how jealous I am of all of you who are motivated to exercise frequently. I am new to exercise. I have hated it all my life, avoided it like the plague, but am really trying to start making a better effort. However, every time I try to do anything, I end up extremely low. I went for a walk the other day, got back to the house feeling like crap (which I generally do while doing any exercise) and I was 29. I don’t know how I functioned enough to get back. Who knows? Can I detach from my pump while I exercise, for about 30 minutes? I’m trying hard to cut out sweets (yes, I know, yet another lifestyle sin I engage in), so eating a cookie prior to my exercise isn’t helping the situation…

I’m just looking for help because I’m trying to get into exercise, but getting a low almost every time doesn’t make me want to do it at all.

10. Drew
    Drew May 2, 2007 at 6:26 pm | | Reply

Medtronic finally came out with a smaller sized CGM that I have been using for the past few weeks. Their previous sensor was just too big for my liking. In my last 10k I did check my readings a few times during the race, but did not need any extra carbs until after. My general rule for running (I even have one for diving) is:
    Mileage / Prestart reading
    3 / anything above 100
    5 / 130-160
    10 / 180
    For long runs (>=8 miles) I usually take glucose tabs or goo every 30 minutes. I also do not bolus before a run medium or long run. It is amazing how much a run can drop your BG – maybe if I ran enough I could get rid of this pump!

11. Betsy
    Betsy May 3, 2007 at 5:22 am | | Reply

Man, it is frustrating to go low during a great run. I HATE that! I made that correction mistake before and thought I’d never get back to the house. My best friend was getting ready to give me a piggy back ride back! That would have been cute…I have discovered Luna bars and Clif shots. I do not pump but normally take one less unit to cover what I eat and then let the walk, run or kickbox do the rest!
    Fortunately, exercise doesn’t drop me drastically and I can pretty much do what I like as long as I start around 150-175.

12. Tcpzrkxy