Catching Bugs

Here’s a shot of me with my some of my new bike gear. Excellent! Actually, this is my old bike, and I’m pretty black, blue, and yellow so far from attempting to train on my new bike with clip-in pedals. (Don’t laugh, you know what a girlie-girl I am!)

Amy_cycling_2

Nevertheless, I’ve spent quite a bit of time lately out riding — complete with bugs in teeth, bugs in nostrils, bugs in ear, bugs stuck on tongue, bugs in and under sunglasses… Did I mention bugs? And how much we girlie-girls hate them? (If I crash at some point, you can be pretty darn sure there was some abominable bug involved…)

And apparently I’m much better at writing posts than I am at fund-raising, ’cause I’m still only at 30% of my ambitious donations goal. Come on, people, have a little solidarity here, and GIVE TILL IT HURTS!

I know some of you have your issues with the ADA, but the way I see it is this: As a leading national advocacy organization, the ADA does fund invaluable education and cutting-edge research. It brings doctors, educators, companies, and patients together to put diabetes at the top of the national health agenda.

I’m sure for this audience I don’t need to flash all the statistics on the devastation that diabetes causes. Not to mention how much it SUCKS to live with, even if you’re managing it OK. Personally, I’ve been pricking my finger between 8 and 10 times a day for four years now. That’s about 13,200 finger pricks so far. Now imagine the many, many people who’ve lived with diabetes for soooo much longer. And the many being diagnosed every instant — every 21 seconds, to be exact.

Do I worry that at least one of my three daughters will face this disease in her lifetime? You bet I do. It’s almost indecent to say so, but I pray that if it has to happen, it will be later, after puberty at least, when a person’s hopefully somewhat more stable and emotionally prepared to deal with a lifetime chronic condition. But maybe, just maybe, by then it won’t be for life. Could that elusive CURE be discovered by the time my girls venture out on their own? God help us…

But I digress.

Other than applying my love for writing to helping people learn a little/laugh a little with this disease, there isn’t too much I can do to stem the diabetes tide. Other than get off my duff for a fund-raising event now and then. Catching bugs for a cause… ah, that makes it sound almost worth the splatter :)

Click_here_to_sponsor_me_orig

1. Scott M
    Scott M May 8, 2007 at 8:35 am | | Reply

I applaude your bike riding ventures. With bugs and clip-in pedals: I am sure you earned every mile. Keep it up and good luck raising money! Any diabetes cause(or organization)is alright in my book.

2. Scott
    Scott May 8, 2007 at 11:44 am | | Reply

While I do have issues with the ADA, I nevertheless applaud your effort. Remember, as a fundraiser, you also have the right (unlike those who don’t) to comment on any concerns you have about the organization’s direction.

3. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell May 8, 2007 at 7:44 pm | | Reply

Amy

You remind me that I have to dust off my trusty 12 year old bike and start to prepare for my bike ride in September.

Best of luck on the fund raising.

What worked for me last year (I raised $7,500 for Denise Faustman’s research) was to approach people that I know and ask them if I could send them a fund-raising e-mail. If they were good with that, I did. My girls and I also collected some money at the local transfer station. About $150 for a few hours on a beautiful Saturday morning shaking some cans.

And hey, leave some donors for me!

4. Vicki
    Vicki May 8, 2007 at 8:10 pm | | Reply

I don’t want to be sour grapes but I guess I’ll do it anyway. A huge percentage — more than 50%, I believe — of $$ raised by the ADA goes for overhead expenses.

If you really want your donation dollars to go for diabetes research, you’d do better to give your money to the JRDF. Or even Joslin.

I’d refer you or anyone interested to the following website, which gives a clear analysis of where your donation dollars go:

They use the information that charities are required to disclose and provide a wealth of information to help people decide how to deploy their charity dollars.

5. AmyT
    AmyT May 9, 2007 at 2:27 pm | | Reply

Yes, Vicki, JDRF is next on my agenda.

See also:
    and

6. Lyle
    Lyle May 17, 2007 at 6:09 am | | Reply

Hi Amy – Your blog is great. My son Dylan is going to be 10 this summer. He has been managing T1 for 701 days (but who’s counting). In addition to T1, he also shares your love of chocolate. I explained to him that the best way to indulge in his chocolate obsession was to exercise enough to burn the carbs.

Bottom line – for a chocolate shake (small) he can crank out 10 miles and not miss a beat. As his Dad, I keep up with him in whatever activity he wants to pursue. Exercise = Snacks. No exercise = No Snacks. This is for BOTH of us. By exercise and diet (and lots of testing), we have been able to tweak his carb:insulin ratio to bring his numbers right in “the range”. For us – it works.

For you – Thank You!!! Money for a cure is something that we all work towards every day (the sooner the better). Short term motivation – MILES = CHOCOLATE!!! Go Amy Go!!! Maybe the folks at Godiva Chocolate will send some sponsor money your way.