CALL TO ACTION: Help Doug Burns Take a Stand on Hypoglycemia (and Stay Out of Jail)

For all of you who are as incensed as I am over the Mr. Universe Going to Trial issue, I now have the information* on how you can speak up today:Megaphone

Please place phone calls with your objections/support to

- Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe
(650) 363-4752

and

- Assistant District Attorney Morley Pitt
(650) 363-4785

Please leave angry messages! The idea is to rattle their chain here, and put some pressure on the DA’s office to drop the charges, as well they should.

*These contacts come directly from Doug Burns’ lawyer, Micah Jacobs, of Jacobs & Ferraro, LLP, in San Francisco, which has donated its services free-of-charge to show its support for the diabetes community.

Mr. Jacobs filled me in on a few other key details you might like to know:

- The police report documents Doug’s blood sugar at 26, at the time it was checked in ER following the incident.

- The initial police report also makes no mention of any violence — solid evidence that Doug did not fight with the officers or attack them in any way.

- The theater security guard apparently escorted Doug outside the theater, and then called the cops when he stood there looking dazed, rather than leaving.

“It’s one thing if he would have harmed someone, and could later prove that it was a medical issue,” Jacobs says. “But nothing even happened, AND he can prove it was a medical issue. It’s absurd to press ahead with these charges. Their personnel need to be better trained to distinguish a medical emergency from a real threat of harm.”

Amen, Mr. Attorney, Sir. Now let’s go make some noise about this!!

1. Ana Valenzuela
    Ana Valenzuela May 29, 2007 at 3:03 pm | | Reply

As an RN diabetes educator and type 1 for 14 years, this situation really disgusts me. How ignorant are these people without getting all the facts and educating themselves about diabetes. We all know that lows will happen now matter what we do to avoid them. The nerve of those police officers handcuffing him without giving him some sugar. They are lucky he did not end up having a seizure!

2. mcityrk
    mcityrk May 29, 2007 at 3:10 pm | | Reply

Hi-

I think you need to widen the scope of contacts to voice your objections! Contact info [i.e. email addresses] for the gentlemen mentioned as well as for congresmen of the district and even the govenor od California should be listed to set up the potential for a countrywide email campaign to let those in power know the level of disgust felt over this and other similar incidents-

mcityrk

3. Anne
    Anne May 29, 2007 at 3:38 pm | | Reply

Does anybody know what happens at the “pre-trial conference”? Is it possible that the judge would acquit him of the charges there?

4. Tesney
    Tesney May 29, 2007 at 4:28 pm | | Reply

Oooooo….I’m calling right now! Thanks for the numbers Amy!

5. Jennifer
    Jennifer May 29, 2007 at 4:59 pm | | Reply

Just left a message

Thank you Amy!

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell May 29, 2007 at 5:11 pm | | Reply

Thanks Amy

I called both numbers and left messages.

I plan to do the same again tomorrow, and each day until the district attorney comes to his senses.

7. Lauren
    Lauren May 29, 2007 at 7:20 pm | | Reply

Thanks for those numbers — hopefully they will have a voicemail overload tomorrow morning, and realize the diabetes community’s overwhelming support of Doug. More importantly, I hope they realize what they are doing to a fellow human being who was experiencing a medical emergency and needed HELP, not brutality.

My understanding is that the judge can dismiss the charges during the pre-trial proceedings. Let’s hope there’s someone with an ounce of compassion on the bench.

All this is enough to make me wish I’d applied to law instead of medical school!!!

Does anyone know if the ADA or any other diabetes advocacy groups have been involved or made public statements? Should we start calling them too? If there is public pressure on the D.A.’s office, maybe they will back down. What does everyone think?

8. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver May 29, 2007 at 9:31 pm | | Reply

I’d like to understand more details.

Is this a felony or misdemeanor? It really differs in Texas, as to the channels.

9. Natale
    Natale May 30, 2007 at 5:16 am | | Reply

What crime has he been charged with committing?

10. Dave
    Dave May 30, 2007 at 6:20 am | | Reply

I just left each attorney a message. I took the being nice approach because I am famous for letting people have it!! I don’t want them to just delete my message-I want them to actually here it. I hope it helps. Dave

11. Karen Carney, Hurstwood, Sunderland, U.K
    Karen Carney, Hurstwood, Sunderland, U.K May 30, 2007 at 7:58 am | | Reply

Received my Google Alert on this story and link to your site.I will be ringing the District Attorney’s Office as you suggest. Thank you and Good luck to you in your campaign and to Doug Burns himself.Its very important that people stick together and offer support in this world. There are people who care about others.This case should not be going to court.By posting opinions it shows the “powers that be” that there is natural justice and as with a jury those who express their opinions are just as entitled to offer their verdict too.As long as we are given the facts of a case we can always rightly comment and judge.

12. Joan Carney
    Joan Carney May 30, 2007 at 8:35 am | | Reply

Insulin shock is not a medical condition.It is iatrogenic,that is one caused by injected insulin which can save us by lowering our blood sugar then by continuing to work, make us have fits,heart attacks,slow our brains down so that we can’t think logically,get vexed become annoyed,any of these things or some of them.We can get into an automated state.Surely the police must show understanding and compassion to patients with this odious condition.I’m crying for all those of us who have it and for the fourteen relatives of mine that I’ve traced with it as I type.
    I wish Doug Burns a speedy return to his impeccable character and a friendly relationship with the police in his town.
    Signed:Joan Carney
    Barnes Wood
    Sunderland
    England

13. Adam Greene
    Adam Greene May 30, 2007 at 8:37 am | | Reply

Hi Lauren,
    The ADA’s Legal advocacy group is aware and involved in the case. I just chatted with them yesterday because I too was curious if they were involved. I’m glad that they are; that is what they are there for.

Regards,
    Adam

14. Doug Burns
    Doug Burns May 30, 2007 at 9:30 am | | Reply

Hey everyone!

Thank you so very much for your support!

I cannot tell you how much it means to me and how encouraging it is to everyone of us involved in the diabetes community. Your efforts have helped me and more importantly you’ve helped children and adults in the future. Just as negativity sparks sadness, your encouragment brings a river of hope.

Amy thanks for calling on your troops and for your support earlier today, I think it will pay off within a few hours and I will let you know….

Doug
    SugarFitness.com

15. Shana Raisman
    Shana Raisman December 7, 2007 at 7:02 pm | | Reply

I am disappointed that in this day and age law enforcement and legal authorities remain ignorant of the symptoms of low blood sugar. I would like to say that after 24+ years of insulin dependent diabetes I have never encountered such ignorance personally but I have and continue to in my own life. The only thing separating me from Mr. Universe in this situation is that I am a small (4ft 10″) female. I could hardly be described as physically intimidating, but my behavior with repetitive low blood sugars is surely on a par with any displayed by Doug. I continue to attempt to explain this to the people I deal and live with but no one can truly understand the way that prolonged, repetitive hypoglycemia can effect mood and above all rage. I cannot tell you have much compassion I feel for Doug and anger I feel for his plight. At times I wish that those judging Doug and people in his situtation could live a day in our shoes to develop first hand knowledge of the struggles faced by those of us who refuse to let diabetes halt us from exceptional lives. I am proud that Mr Universe fights to live a life far exceeding the accomplishments and challenges faced by average people. Fight on Doug!

16. karen carney
    karen carney March 4, 2010 at 11:51 am |

[...] game at two from a Karen Carney blast in the 69th minute. Second half substitute for the Freedom … CALL TO ACTION: Help Doug Burns Take a Stand on …Posted by: Karen Carney, Hurstwood, Sunderland, U.K | May 30th, 2007 at 7:58 am. Insulin shock is [...]