1. Lyrehca
    Lyrehca April 2, 2007 at 7:28 am | | Reply

The flip side is that some of these studies take a ton of time and don’t necessarily reimburse participants for their time, or even their parking (which, at my doc’s office, is pretty costly and can add up for repeated visits made only for the study’s sake). The other argument is that some people don’t want to be guinea pigs. I’ve done studies where I was already at the doc’s office and just had to answer a survey (and yes, got reimbursed for that time), but I’m eligible for a new mom/newborn study and my husband feels strongly that our kid shouldn’t be a guinea pig for science. So it’s not always a question of not knowing about the studies or not wanting to be bothered.

2. Scott
    Scott April 2, 2007 at 9:39 am | | Reply

Ironically, the better control a patient has of their condition, the fewer studies they may be eligible for. I have been disqualified for 3 trials in the last 2 years because my A1c wasn’t high enough! I am also somewhat irritated by the fact that more than 90% of the pharmaceutical industry’s clinical trials for diabetes are for type 2 treatments, most of the work done for type 1 is either for complications treatment or modifications to existing treatments. The upside is that a separate site, the Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet site (http://www.diabetestrialnet.org/tnet1.html) does outline studies that are looking exclusively for those with type 1.

3. Kevin
    Kevin April 2, 2007 at 7:13 pm | | Reply

You can use the search bar at clinicaltrials.gov to filter for only those trials that you might be interested in. For example, typing ‘type 1 diabetes’ returns 351 trials currently recruiting participants.

4. Tesney
    Tesney April 3, 2007 at 10:14 am | | Reply

Not sure about how strict NIH is, but the National Institute of Mental Health will sometimes accept participants even if they do not meet every single qualification/exclusion. I am a therapist and I’ve had several of my clients participate in clinical trials even though they didn’t meet the exact qualifications. It’s worth a phone call even if you think you don’t qualify!

5. Kevin
    Kevin April 6, 2007 at 3:47 am | | Reply

My problem is I have searched in my area and haven’t ever found many studies around here. Then of the ones that are, they are for type 2s.

Using http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/search?term=diabetes%2C+cincinnati searching Cincinnati and diabetes I only recieved 35 studies.

Of all the studies, I qualify for none because I’m a type 1 with no complications. The ONLY ones I could qualify for are Exubera, however, I don’t see switching from an insulin pump to Exubera as a benefit since the control is less precise at this time with Exubera.

6. Phil K
    Phil K April 8, 2007 at 4:25 pm | | Reply

I’m actually registered for the Mills-Peninsula clamp study this coming week. This will be the second one I’ve done with them, too. The first one took about 6 hours and gave me ample chance to ask a lot of questions – both to the attending doctors/nurses and the folks who made the device that was being tested. I got paid $600 for my time, and the opportunity to participate was also very worthwhile.

Another thing to look out for if you live in the SF Bay Area are usability studies on glucose meters and pumps. I’ve participated in studies by design-giant IDEO, as well as with a couple of other smaller product design outfits like Cooper and Frog Design. Each time I spent about an hour talking about how I use my blood monitor, what I dis/like about it, and what additional features I would like. Then I spent a little time using a prototype and providing feedback. Easy as pie, and a good opportunity to see what may be coming in the future.

7. Jonah
    Jonah April 8, 2007 at 4:43 pm | | Reply

I don’t seem to be eligible for most trials. They want diabetes duration of X; they want complications; they want an A1c above 7%; they want type 2 diabetes.

8. susan
    susan April 10, 2007 at 12:22 pm | | Reply

The number given for the Diabetes Research Institute at Mills/Peninsula seems to be a direct line to VM for Dr. Klonoff himself – I called the secy number he left on the message and got the center…BTW

9. claire
    claire April 28, 2007 at 8:30 pm | | Reply

hi! i just found your blog and am glad it’s here!

i don’t fit most clinical trials either, although my a1c is consistently around 8. and the ones i do usually require me to drive (i don’t have a car) somewhere or go somewhere during working hours. they don’t seem to understand that most of us have to keep regular jobs to be able to afford insurance.