Too Sexy for My… Pod?

So here it is.  One of the big perplexities of insulin pumping: Am I sexy with this thing on?  I know, I know, sexy is as sexy does.  But still…

As I mentioned the other day, a fellow OmniPod-er recently wrote to me:  “Somebody mentioned that (the pods) looked like ‘tumors’ and I just can’t get that image out of my mind.  I am concerned about their sex appeal even though my husband said he isn’t bothered by its presence.” — JTSexy_legs_1

All I know is that back when I first started wearing the DexCom’s little black box adhered to my tummy, I was feeling equally bionic and strange. The first time my husband caught me undressing with the thing on, I smiled at him sheepishly and said, “Naked with sensor…”  to which he replied by looking me up and down, raising his eyebrows and saying, “I see lots of sensors!”

Check!

That was either True Love in action, or a quintessential Guy Thing — as in, as long as all the female essentials are in place, what’s a little bit of hardware?

Seems as if I’m the one who’s a bit distracted.  I try not to focus on it, but I am aware of its presence –  interuppting the smoothness of my birthday suit — during intimate moments.  Luckily, I found a sweet little camisole that spans down to the top of the hips and covers all the machinery.  I bought four different colors.

With my clothes on — as long as it’s nothing too body-hugging — the pod is virtually invisible and I can honestly say I forget it’s even there.  But this is March, remember.  What happens when we’re back to Skimpy Clothing Season?  Won’t the pod bulge unattractively out of tank tops and sundresses?  I’m running out of virgin “real estate” to place the pod on my abdomen, and I haven’t even experimented with sites on my arms yet…  And what about that drawer full of bikinis?  Time to go Tankini shopping again, I guess.

As disconcerting as this may seem, every time I look at my belly, I remind myself how cool the OmniPod’s little self-contained unit actually is.  With a traditional pump, I’d be dealing with that long plastic tube coming out of my body, with a box on the end of it.  That’s a lot to negotiate around your clothing — especially dresses and anything else one-piece with no split in the middle to run your tube through.  So there’s a little lump under my teddy, so what?

I know you can disconnect a traditional pump and therefore enjoy some limited time untethered, but everything in life is a trade-off, no?  I trade not being able to temporarily disconnect for not wearing medical tubing every other moment of my life.  I trade the lump for the freedom it gives me.

And when it comes to the Sex Appeal factor, it does seem clear that it isn’t my partner’s perception at risk here, but my own.  We body-conscious women don’t feel sexy unless we… well, feel sexy.

1. Annie
    Annie March 15, 2007 at 7:35 am | | Reply

Your husband sounds like mine—the best!!! No matter how self conscious I may feel about all the lumps and patches, he doesn’t even seem to notice. I take my pump off and must admit I love those 10 minutes (my husband would say it’s at least 45!!!) of freedom from the tube. Is this TMI?? To all you pumpers—can you wear the insertion set on your arm?

2. Scott
    Scott March 15, 2007 at 12:36 pm | | Reply

One of the key issues facing the developers of the closed loop system is how it looks and feels to wear all of this stuff. Sadly, I don’t think they’ve done all that much discussion of it. In my conversation with Aaron Kowalski, MD, PhD, JDRF’s lead on the artificial pancreas project, he acknowledged that they have only started conversations on this topic. I have my doubts that this can honestly be a mechanical solution to the diabetes problem until they are willing to approach this issue in an honest way, which requires an acknowledgement that this issue actually matters to patients.

3. Denise
    Denise March 15, 2007 at 5:45 pm | | Reply

Sounds to me like you are a very lucky lady. He sounds like a man in true LOVE. I say Keep him and the pod!

4. Chrissie in Belgium
    Chrissie in Belgium March 16, 2007 at 4:33 am | | Reply

To put it bluntly, my husband didn’t yhink I was any less sexy when I began using a pump, but he WAS worried about hurting me and he WAS worried he might pull out the catether/needle, loosen the adhesive at the insertion site. Isn’t this even more hazardous with an omnipod than an insulin pump that you can disconnect for a few minutes. I am just asking?

5. Emily
    Emily March 16, 2007 at 5:52 am | | Reply

I just thought I’d share this. I was watching “Dr. 90210″ the other day (don’t ask me why), and there was a patient who wanted to get breast implants and was also a type 1. When they interviewed her she said something to the effect of, “I really just want to get a boob job so I can hide my insulin pump on my bra.” Wow. Talk about an expensive pump accessory…

6. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez March 16, 2007 at 11:02 am | | Reply

Well, from the perspective of a male pumper, I can say I am fortunate too, having a wife that loves me and likes me in spite of the infusion set.

I have to admit, it feels kind of weird the first time you hit the beach, but you do get used to it.

Best of luck, Amy!! You are a trooper!

7. Allie Beatty
    Allie Beatty March 16, 2007 at 3:52 pm | | Reply

I’m always amazed at how *explicitly correct* you are when it comes to anything diabetes related — this time rings as true as ever! I’m considering a trade-up!! :) I’ve been using MiniMed since 1999 and I’m not so sure anything convinces me innovation is along the lines of their technology (anymore). The CGM is still an (uncovered) concept complete with clumsy long-wired accessories – alongside the snag with their infusion sets (no pun intended). I think I will give OmniPod (and Dexcom) a call. As always, thanks for your insightful perspective, Amy!!

8. Kim
    Kim March 21, 2007 at 8:08 pm | | Reply

To show you how warped I am, I had a mental picture of hanging a tassel off the Pod and twirling it by moving your hips!

What does Justin Timberlake sing…”I’m Bringing Sexy Back….”

9. A.S.
    A.S. March 29, 2007 at 7:05 am | | Reply

Maybe Apple will enter the insulin pump market and come up with a crazy-tiny OmniPod Nano :) Btw, I really like your blog format. Are you using Blogger? WordPress? Very symmetrical, great use of color and widgets and nice header.

10. louise
    louise August 21, 2007 at 10:34 am | | Reply

what color pump does nick jonas wear