1. Kassie
    Kassie March 7, 2007 at 7:14 am | | Reply

I’m not surprised your regimen didn’t require an overhaul. You had what appeared to be a very solid system going with MDI. In fact, I worry that your expectations of lowered A1c’s might not come to fruition… but in every other way this seems to have been a great move for you! :)

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell March 7, 2007 at 9:08 am | | Reply

One of the big drawbacks I can see for the Pod is the issue of medical waste. Do they have any program in place to recycle old Pods in any way?

If not that’s a lot of stuff to put into a landfill.

3. Vivian
    Vivian March 7, 2007 at 10:25 am | | Reply

When we went in for Daniel to pick a pump, I was very surprised that they were pushing the pod. First because of the insurance issues I have heard you talk about and second because having a “remote”, if you will, for a kid does not seem like the best fit. Daniel liked it because it looks like a computer mouse. lol

I am really glad you are happy with it. I will definitely pay attention when you talk about it because he might want it when he is older.

4. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson March 7, 2007 at 3:55 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy!

Great article over at dLife (as always)! Scientist school or no – we have to wear many hats to keep it all rolling!

I read all the nitty gritty details with great interest, and very much appreciate you sharing them with us. Thank you!

5. Chrissie in Belgium
    Chrissie in Belgium March 7, 2007 at 10:01 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy, that you waited so long to pump! Pumping is SO GREAT! I have had a Cozmo for 2.5 years, and I love it. For me the tubing is absolutely NO PROBLEM – I even like it because that way I know that I have all the parts with me. I cannot loose the PDA! I liked your recent article at DLife.

6. Jules
    Jules March 8, 2007 at 7:43 am | | Reply

I’m on my third week using the pod and love it. I can understand current pump users not minding the tubing but it seems that most of the new pump users would prefer not having tubing. For me the tubing reminded me of visiting people in the hospital when I was young and seeing tubing draining various parts of the body and I just couldn’t get that picture out of my mind. I wouldn’t be surprised if a study came out stating that 75% of new pump users want the OmniPod. Also, the post regarding medical waste is confusing. A months worth of pods takes up less space than a 1/2 gallon container of milk. Only a small 1-inch canulla is exposed to bodily fluids and the rest is sterile packaging. Certainly not a “big drawback” from my view. Amy, thanks for posting your experience.

7. jennifer
    jennifer March 12, 2007 at 10:27 am | | Reply

The issues right now are all non-issues. The omnipod changed our family’s lives. We went on our first vacation since Logan’s (5 yrs old) diagnosis this summer and my husband and I just kept looking at each other and saying that we could not have done it without the pod. Snowtubing, iceskating, swimming, eating desserts, were very mainstream for her as we just kept checking glucose and correcting. No tubes and no shots were in the way whatsoever. We are so thankful right now that we can’t even begin to imagine the difference more improvements on the pod could make.

8. Medopedia
    Medopedia March 28, 2007 at 6:54 am | | Reply

Tubeless Insulin Pumps?

One blogger, Amy Tenderich of Diabetes Mine, offers a running commentary on her experiences with the OmniPod. In one post, she reflects on her first five weeks on the device, and elsewhere comments on her first impressions of the OmniPod: �I am so happ…

9. SteveM
    SteveM February 18, 2008 at 7:35 am | | Reply

We love our Omnipod. Our 20 month old son was diagnosed 4 months ago and it was quite difficult to get any consistency with shots. We looked into pumps but did not want to deal with a tube with a pre 2 year old (it just seemed like it would be a huge problem.) I researched the Omnipod and it seemed like a good fit. He started wearing one just before he turned 2, about a month ago, and it has changed our lives. It really felt like we got our Son back, and we can control his BG levels much better now.

10. Diabetes Mine - the all things diabetes blog » Blog Archive » New Animas “Performance Pump”

[...] I weren’t so happy pumping without tubes, this one might be tempting.  At least you can choose from silver, blue, or black, plus those [...]

11. dianabol
    dianabol July 11, 2013 at 12:53 am | | Reply

Perfect stuff, Two thumbs up and up to the smart writer. This blog goes into some details, however really what is missed is the quality factor. To be honest, it is reasonable, are we going to go with this direction in every article/s? we should be a lot more positive about this. This isn’t a joke but in a sense it comes out to be. Let us keep this a lot more serious and to the point in the future.