Anniversary and a Challenge (Ice Breaker)

I’ve been so busy, I almost forgot to celebrate: the beginning of March marked two full years of DiabetesMine.com. Wow! Aside from the mind-numbing amount of time this diabetic butt has spent in a chair while compiling blog entries, consider the stats:

- 441 posts

- 2259 comments

- 107 trackbacks

- 161 Bloglines subscribers (just one single subscriber behind TheDiabetesBlog on that one! :)

- 4 blogging awards (if you count the honorable mention among this year’s top MedBlogs)

- 1 author (plus, of course, the contributors to the Partner Follies — thank you!)

Whew!  Now that’s a lot o’ bloggin’   Tour_de_cure_logo

However, as mentioned, that’s just the butt-in-the-chair stuff.  It has also been exactly three years since I cycled in my first ADA Tour de Cure here in Palo Alto, CA.  I’m surprised I survived, actually, having had so little idea how to manage my blood glucose during an intense workout back then.

Long story short, I’m up for The Challenge again.  As noted in an earlier post, I committed to the 25 miles but am tentatively hoping manage the 50-mile ride — having been goaded by my cycling-fanatic husband, who dismissed the 25-mile-course as “geriatric”… ahem…  Still, I’m bravely attempting to raise $5,000 this year.  (Come on, guys, every little bit helps!)

Cycling_viewLet me just say that breaking the ice was painful. I know I need to start training, as the rain stopped here a few weeks ago already.  But getting my tush out and onto the bike for that first ride seemed somehow insurmountable.  On Friday, I finally bit the bullet, dredged up some age-old cycling shorts and a completely mismatched jersey and rode about 15 miles — which was actually quite enjoyable except for one thing.  In the Bike Seat vs. Female Anatomy category, I lost.  Youch!  Hubby says I should invest in some very high-end women’s biking gear.  Yes, dear.  (Donations for that cause accepted as well :)

Editor’s Note: A few colleagues already asked why I chose this ride instead of a JDRF event.  The answer is, this one is nearby and convenient, and has become somehow sentimentally linked to my dual D-anniversaries: diagnosis and starting the blog.  If my anatomy makes it through this ride, I’ll shoot for a JDRF event next.

Please consider throwing a little money at the cause (championed by my sore posterior).  Visit my
Tour de Cure my page HERE

1. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson March 13, 2007 at 7:51 am | | Reply

Youch!

We thank you (and your tush) for all that you do!

2. Anne
    Anne March 13, 2007 at 8:39 am | | Reply

Spend the money on some good bike shorts, for sure. Sports Basement (Sunnyvale or 2 locations in SF) have better prices and you can almost always find a way to get 10% off. And don’t forget the chamois cream (“Butt’r”)!

I’m doing a JDRF ride this fall in Montana and am also trying to raise $5000. It’s tough to ask for money; I didn’t even like selling Girl Scout cookies, and everyone loves those! :)

There’s a JDRF ride in Sonoma County now; maybe next year you can try that one!

Thanks for a great site!
    -Anne

3. AmyT
    AmyT March 13, 2007 at 8:48 am | | Reply

Ah, Anne, I really wanted to do that Big Sky ride in Montana! But alas, I was too late signing up…

Thanks for the tips.

4. Sarah
    Sarah March 13, 2007 at 9:52 am | | Reply

Amy,
    That’s awesome! I’m thinking about what runs I can do this year. I’m hoping for a 5k and a 10k, so I understand the need to get out and start training!

5. Kevin
    Kevin March 13, 2007 at 9:56 am | | Reply

Congrats on the 2 yrs of blogging (and thank you, too!).

I too am hoping to do a Tour de Cure ride this summer (a friend is pressuring me to do a 100 milers, but I’m not so sure I’ll survive…).

I too have considered a JDRF ride over an ADA ride, but JDRF requires you to raise something like $3500 to participate and then covers the rider’s travel expense. I’m sorry, but it just doesn’t feel right to ask people to donate money to cover my travel to go somewhere real nice for a bike ride. It just seems like way too much overhead. Fund raising efficiency is pretty important.

6. Anne
    Anne March 13, 2007 at 11:44 am | | Reply

The ADA is great in many ways but the JDRF is 100% dedicated to finding a cure for type 1. They were rated by Forbes as being one of the most effective charities out there. If you need more proof, read the following article: http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=102403

If you look on smartmoney.com (http://www.smartmoney.com/theagenda/index.cfm?story=20031111-charity), they ranked JDRF 2nd out of all health related charities (2003) with 85-87% of money raised going towards research goals. Compare this to Leukemia and Lympohoma Society (Team-In-Training folks), ranked 7th with 76% going toward programming. I couldn’t find more recent data, but I imagine it would be similar. I didn’t see the ADA on the list.

I know it’s not for everybody to do one of these charity events; and frankly, I had reservations initially. But when I looked into the whole thing a bit more, I sorta felt I ought to try and give back to the JDRF in whatever way I could. (And I can ride a bike…)

Also, and this is just my own speculation, I would imagine that the JDRF works at getting group discounts for accomodations etc. Maybe I’ll ask them what %-age of the money raised is used to pay for travel & accomodations.

-Anne

p.s. Amy, that happened to me last year when I tried to sign up for Big Sky. This year I got up at the crack of dawn and registered!! Are you sure it’s full, though?

p.p.s. I am not trying to bash the ADA or LLS, or any of their rides etc. They both do a lot to help many people. I am just a huge fan of the JDRF and really feel like they are one of our best hopes for a cure for type 1.

7. Kate
    Kate March 13, 2007 at 8:16 pm | | Reply

I was approched this year after actively participating in our local ADA walk the last couple of years, to be on the committee to plan this year walk. We do have a local JDRF chapter, but I happened to be approched by the ADA first. I appreciate everything the JDRF does in working towards a cure, however, as an RN I also like that the ADA also provides education for professionals and Type 1 and 2 patients, not to mention advocacy. I like their more holistic approach to things, which is why I’m helping them out.

8. Anne
    Anne March 14, 2007 at 9:08 am | | Reply

I think that both have important roles, and do a lot of good for many people. I guess I am partially (mostly?) acting on my own selfish desire to be cured. (Of course I realize that a cure may come through other means than through JDRF-sponsored research.) I think that charity-sponsored events are great ways to help motivate people to donate for worthy causes. Also, I appreciate that many of the much larger events get a lot of people exercising, which is a feat in and of itself!

9. AmyT
    AmyT March 14, 2007 at 12:32 pm | | Reply

Your last point exactly, Anne. I think that as long as these events really do bring in money for good causes, then it’s OK to do something enjoyable while you’re fund-raising :)