My “True Life Story” in 3.6 Minutes

OK, time to come clean.  The other thing I was doing on my recent trip to New York was visiting with a dynamic new company called HealthiNation (pronounced healthY-nation).  This group is busy creating the first “on-demand health video network,” i.e. a series of informative and instructional videos that help “everyday people” understand the complexities of all sorts of health issues and medical disorders. Viewers can purchase the videos directly off the website, or pick them up via a multitude of On Demand Cable stations around the country.

So far, they’ve got spots on everything from asthma to breast cancer to home first aid.  And Yours Truly is now their second “True Life Story” with Diabetes:

Amytstillphoto

(Again, squinting while viewing is advised; that way I don’t look quite so O-L-D — the effects of which unfortunately cannot be offset by video instruction)

With some very clever editing, the HealthiNation folks fit several hours of gabbing into a 3min, 41sec short covering my diagnosis, the blog, and the new book. Quite a feat.

But they also tell me there’s a second segment on the way, to focus on more of the nuts and bolts of daily living with diabetes. It will feature a professional host, plus a doctor-expert, with clips of me slotted in talking about the health tips in our book.  It’s always a little eerie seeing yourself onAmyt_at_15_1 film, but let’s definitely stay tuned for that one; I’m as curious as you are.

Editor’s note: Just because I am terribly, terribly vain, and because my mother recently unearthed these photos, I’m including this image of what once was — in some bygone era — pre-marriage, pre-babies, and pre-Dx.

1. Vivian
    Vivian February 5, 2007 at 9:24 am | | Reply

Amy- That was awesome! I cried when you talked about looking in the mirror and seeing the connection between you and your dad. Wow! Thank you for all you do, I hold you as a role model when it comes to taking action. I feel blessed to know you.

And PS the pic at the bottom, you rock! lol

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell February 5, 2007 at 10:37 am | | Reply

Amy

Nice job. I was taken back to my own diagnosis when you were describing your symptoms. That was a scary time for me – for all of us, I guess.

It’ll be interesting to watch this new resource develop.

3. Allison Blass
    Allison Blass February 5, 2007 at 11:18 am | | Reply

Oh whatever! You’re gorgeous and you know it.

4. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson February 5, 2007 at 2:16 pm | | Reply

Very, very cool Amy! And I second Allison – you’re hubby is a lucky guy!

Take care!

5. Tom Woolworth
    Tom Woolworth February 5, 2007 at 5:47 pm | | Reply

Amy:
    Thank you for sharing your personal story and the video. Your story will have an impact on the lifes of Diabetics. Your web blog “Diabetes Mine” is a god sent .. Thank you for writing Diabetes information to help me understand … I know there will be a special place in heaven for you …

Tom

6. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez February 5, 2007 at 7:45 pm | | Reply

Very cool, Amy.

Precisely today, I was talking with some students at Full Sail (where I work), about the production of a diabetes awareness video:

It is amazing the shortage of good quality video material about the topic on the web. SO, I was very happy to see you featured in HealthiNation.

On a completely sidenote, I wanted to let you know I posted a review about your book on this new site I recently launched:

7. Steve
    Steve February 5, 2007 at 10:17 pm | | Reply

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but you are prettier now than then.

Congratulations on the video!

8. *alison*
    *alison* February 7, 2007 at 1:09 pm | | Reply

Aw that video’s great! Thank you for doing it and writing your blog. Its helped me connect and relate to other people with Diabetes as well as find out new information about all things D related, so thank you.

9. Kelly
    Kelly February 14, 2007 at 3:26 pm | | Reply

Hey- congrats on the book! Wow!
    Do you talk about celiac disease at all in it? I’ll have to put a link to it in our upcoming news brief post.