D-News You Can Use

Well Golly, why bother scrounging all around the Net for the hottest news in diabetes when you can read it all here?  Especially when I make it easy for you by smashing it all into one single post every 2 or 3 weeks or so?  Seriously now, I know it’s Monday. But take 5 minutes to read this stuff:

* Check out Diabetespowershow.com, a new online diabetes support group/ podcast put together by a very energetic team of folks in (and living with) diabetes. Brought to you from the Entertainment Capital of the World, fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada.

* Help Connie — According to her brand new blog, the doctors at Indiana University have told Connie Parrott that her Type 1 diabetes is so out of control that she may have less than 5 years to live — “if I do not get this important medical equipment to act as a normal pancreas for me.”  That magical piece of equipment is the MiniMed Paradigm Continuous Glucose Monitoring Pump, which her insurance refuses to pay for and she cannot afford on her own.  Visit her site yourself to see her plea for help, and decide if you’d like to reach out.  (Disclaimer: as much as I’m praying for Connie’s good health, I’m also praying for her sincerity in asking for money. I have to assume she’s for real).

* Have you read about the latest in non-invasive glucose monitoring?  Right, don’t hold your breath orRoadrunner_news_2 anything, but a company called Freedom Meditech Inc. of San Diego, CA, is backing the University of Toledo (UT) in developing promising new technology that measures glucose levels through the eye. It works by shooting a low-powered polarized laser light at the “target liquid” between your cornea and lens (called the eye’s aqueous humor), which reveals the same concentration of glucose as blood.

“Non-invasive glucose testing is kind of like the Holy Grail,” says Chief executive officer Craig Misrach. But he notes that “those living with diabetes have had their hopes raised and dashed before by devices that never delivered.”  Still, a story in the Toledo Blade tells us, “If the UT project can be successfully advanced to commercial availability in three to five years, then the great promise it holds today may be remarkably fulfilled.”

* We all know the DCCT, but have you heard of the DTCC?  That would be the Diabetes Ten City Challenge, a new campaign by the American Pharmacists Association Foundation (APhA) working to team pharmacists with employers in a “patient-centered, self-care program that offers employees incentives for managing their diabetes in a proactive way.”  Sounds like moving in the right direction, anyway.  Read more about it HERE.

* Pumper Wins Mac Video Contest! And the video was even about how he uses his pump. Parallels Inc., a company that makes “visualization solutions” for PCs and Macs, has awarded top honors from its first annual “Great Parallels Video Testimonial Contest” to Eric Morales of Fairfax, VA.

“Eric has type I diabetes, and uses an insulin pump to control his condition. As with many medical devices, the software that powers it is Windows-only. Eric has a Mac. Rather than buy a new computer, Eric uses Windows XP in Parallels Desktop to keep his insulin pump running, and keep himself healthy.”  Watch Eric’s video HERE.  (Note that some righteous commenter takes issue with Eric’s use of the software “as a controller for life support systems”…?)

Thank You and Good Night.

1. DPG
    DPG February 12, 2007 at 6:55 am | | Reply

If it helps, I found out about Connie’s blog through a trusted source – blogger Ed Brayton who I have been reading for several years.

I believe the effort is sincere. Note that there is an Amazon link on her page – if you don’t want to give directly, buy something from Amazon that you wanted anyway – and she’ll get a small kickback.

DPG

2. Megan
    Megan February 12, 2007 at 7:29 am | | Reply

No offense to Connie, but I would also like a CGMS. I’m hypo unaware. But I can’t have a CGMS, because I can’t afford one, so no CGMS for me. So I don’t really see myself donating to buying one for someone else.

3. CB
    CB February 12, 2007 at 11:45 am | | Reply

I agree with Megan. Perhaps an all-too-costly CGMS can help Connie. I feel for her. As a brittle T1, it would probably help me too. But before we jump into that breach, it might be worthwhile for Connie to blog about exactly why her D is “so out of control” and why a CGMS is the only solution. I didn’t read anything about that. I’d hope for her fiscal sake that frequently using her “regular” BG monitor and her getting more into balance with her insulin, diet, BG monitoring results, and exercise can improve her control, as it has for the vast majority of Ds.

4. BPMantak
    BPMantak February 12, 2007 at 12:25 pm | | Reply

Love the story from Eric using his Mac. As a Mac user I have been wondering what I was going to do when/if I choose to go on a pump (omnipod-pump of choice). I love the idea of having software that would make diabetes management more streamline and being able to use my Mac instead of my husbands PC is a huge plus. Wahoo! for Eric and all Mac Type 1′s!

5. Kevin
    Kevin February 13, 2007 at 3:16 am | | Reply

While I feel sorry Connie I wonder how much she knows about the CGMS. To me she thinks it is the ultimate cure.

Firstly, she says it takes a reading every 5 seconds, which is not true, it’s every 5 minutes. And she seems to think that it will ultimately do the work on it’s own. No, you still have to give the insulin and tell it what to give. And if she changes as rapidly as she does, how will a CGMS help since we all knwo of the delay and how they are very bad with rapidly changing BGs.

Also the transmitter is not $1000, the initial pack with the transmitter and 5 or 10 sensors is $1000. And if she waits a few more months she can get the rechargeable transmitter which lasts 2-3 times longer.

I’m not trying to seem insensere about her problems, just wondering if this is one the hospital says this is the way to do it and she doesnt’ realize what she’s truely getting into and what it really entails and/or does.

6. Hannah
    Hannah February 13, 2007 at 7:17 pm | | Reply

I too am hoping for Connie’s sincerity. I really hope she is that enthusiastic about getting a CGMS, but I hope that maybe she’ll take some time to read some other d-blogs to discover it’s not as easy as it may seem.

Don’t we all wish our problems could just be “cured” by getting a CGMS?

I’m not trying to be mean or pessimistic, I’m just sayin’, that’s all.

In the meantime, if anybody can get a great device for non-invasive BG monitoring, I think we’d all do a happy dance of some sort. I wonder if measuring through the eye would have any kind of effect on retinopathy…?

7. AmyT
    AmyT February 14, 2007 at 3:18 pm | | Reply

I’m glad you all are skeptical, too. I find it a little hard to believe that any doctors told Connie her life depends on the Paradigm.

The other odd thing is she posts no email, so no way to get in touch with her. I’d hoped to send her some other help in the form of some excellent physician and CDE references.

8. Connie Parrott
    Connie Parrott February 18, 2007 at 10:13 pm | | Reply

I would be glad to take any physician and CDE references! Thank you. As for why I’m so brittle, we’ve been asking endocrinologists that since I was diagnosed, and my sugars would fluctuate in hundreds within an hour. No one has given me a reasonable explanation, and gave me the impression there IS NO reasonable explanation.

As far as being sincere, I absolutely am, though there is little I can do to prove this. My local paper is doing a story on the subject and you may be able to read it at http://www.currentincarmel.com. It comes out Tuesday, so if the url is different, it will be on my blog.

I was only recently warned (on my blog) that the CGMS system has a lot of flaws. The Diabetes Center here in Carmel Indiana has said it is the absolute best way to get accurate real time measurements, which would then allow me to does accordingly, I’m aware that I have to dial up a dose with the pump, based on my BS values.

If anyone has any questions or advice, please feel free to contact me at:
    axislove@gmail.com, which IS NOW listed on my blog site.

Sincerely,

-Connie Parrott

9. Connie Parrott
    Connie Parrott February 18, 2007 at 10:29 pm | | Reply

Also, here is an interview I did on the radio tonight: http://www.silkyshrewgoddess.com/connie-bjbs.mp3