1. Jana
    Jana November 8, 2006 at 7:29 am | | Reply

Hi Amy,

Good choice. I have the exact same model of food scale, and I have been very happy with it. To weigh loose things with factoring in the weight of the bowl you just press the “zero” button after you put the bowl on. Or if you turn on the scale with the bowl already on there, it won’t count the weight of the bowl. You can “zero” as many times as you want, so you can weigh your pasta on a plate, press zero, add some tomato sauce, press zero, and then add whatever else…a dinner roll or something. I think there’s also a way to get the scale to add up multiple food items like this, but I’ve not used that feature. These days, since I’ve become quite comfortable with carb counting, I just use the scale for fruit (bananas especially I find hard to judge) and for portions of rice, pasta, etc.

2. George
    George November 8, 2006 at 10:01 am | | Reply

I have this model too and I love it! Jana is right, use the zero feature with each ingredient and then add up all the carbs!

3. Annie
    Annie November 8, 2006 at 12:57 pm | | Reply

Ha! I can top the gross sandwich combo. My son LOVES pepperoni, butter, American cheese and peanut butter on a bagel. Disgusting!!!

4. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson November 8, 2006 at 2:57 pm | | Reply

OMG – those are some gross sounding sandwiches man!!

How do you like the food database? Have you encountered a food that wasn’t in the database?

5. Brian Leair
    Brian Leair November 8, 2006 at 7:16 pm | | Reply

So, are you relying strictly upon the scale’s codes? I used to use “carbohydrate factor” numbers. For example I think bananas are 0.23 carbs per each gram.

If you are using carb factors, have you found any good sources? I only found partial sources and that was furstrating. I know cooked brocoli has a way different factor than raw brocoli, and yet I would only find one value.

I must say that I still have scraps of paper in the kitchen so I can write out 220 gram * 0.23 = 50.6 / Ins-carb ratio = N units of insulin. Too many digits to do entirely in my head. :)

6. Michelle
    Michelle November 11, 2006 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

A good recourse is to use the USDA’s free food search program (you can download versions to your PC’s desktop or to your PDA) from there you can figure carb factors for just about any food by finding how many carbs are in 1g of that food. I use this in combo with a $4 mini food scale.

7. Adam Price
    Adam Price November 12, 2006 at 1:32 pm | | Reply

I find this site really useful for finding the nutritional values of all foods, both raw and cooked (even has different values for different cooking methods):

PS If you use firefox you can also add a plugin, which you can find on their website, that adds a search engine. Instead of having a google search box next to your address bar, you can have an ND box: just type in the food and it will take you (almost) straight to a page with that food’s nutritional info.

8. Juanita Hernandez
    Juanita Hernandez April 12, 2007 at 7:31 am | | Reply

Do you know where can i get this product?

9. Nancy Pennington
    Nancy Pennington December 29, 2008 at 11:48 am | | Reply

PLEASE! Where can I buy this scale? Weigh Station. I can’t find anything online. Thanks!