DexCom and CGM MADNESS

This time it’s not about me and mine, but rather all the people out there writing to me about the DexCom and other continuous monitoring technology:

There was the family who tried to use the DexCom on their 5-year-old boy, and was sorelyMailbag_1 disappointed (they also sent me the link to the company’s recent shareholder Webcast, btw)

There was the guy in Iran who’s DESPERATE to get one for his 3-year-old nephew (sorry)

The guy who claims he can wear a since sensor for up to 18 days with excellent accuracy (?!)

And the guy who wrote to say he just ordered a Minimed pump upgrade w/continuous glucose monitor (Paradigm), and was told — after it shipped — that the transmitter/monitor is only under warranty for six months… “although it may last as long as nine months.” After the battery dies, he’ll have to purchase a new unit at full price.  (WtF?)

Plus a host of other people writing to say they either love or hate the new CGM technology. Here I think I can safely say, I told you so.

As for me, I’m still chugging along with my Dex.

I’ve developed a new acronym (everybody who’s anybody has got one, right?). Mine is for what to do when things go terribly wrong with your diabetes, like my recent string of >200 BG days for no apparent reason:

RUT -

Rebel (F-You, diabetes! Hell if I’m gonna keep any records)

Unwind (Retail therapy usually helps; can be hard on your credit cards)

Troubleshoot (OK, now what can I actually try doing differently this time??  There’s always some new strategy to try, barring cutting out carbs altogether, which I refuse to do, kapeesh?)

Note that CGM does not necessarily help you avoid the RUT.  But the RUT helps you continue using your @#!$! CGM when you’re ready to punt it out the window.  Kapeesh??

1. Becky
    Becky November 2, 2006 at 10:11 am | | Reply

We have our 6 year old on Dexcom and we are in the “LOVE IT” category. It can be a pain in the rear, but I’m thrilled to have it.

We’re working on reimbursement now so we can continue getting sensors. Here was another bad omen for broad coverage though:

It states that Medicare did NOT add an HCPCS code for CGMS in 2007 as Medtronic has applied for (and many people had expected the codes would be available Jan. 2007). I wonder what’s up with that?

2. Sarah
    Sarah November 2, 2006 at 10:45 am | | Reply

I am finally beginning the process of attempting to get one of these things and um, this didn’t make me feel good about it at all! Lol..

3. Megan
    Megan November 2, 2006 at 12:00 pm | | Reply

It’s true what they say about the Minimed CGMS- you need to buy another transmitter around 6 months to a year. It’s insane imo.

4. Jay Radcliffe
    Jay Radcliffe November 2, 2006 at 12:00 pm | | Reply

I’ll have my Dexcom STS tomorrow. WhooHoo!

5. Kassie
    Kassie November 2, 2006 at 12:31 pm | | Reply

RUT! Love it!

6. Kevin
    Kevin November 3, 2006 at 5:04 am | | Reply

This article said what I’ve been telling people since the Dex came out. For some it works, for some it doesn’t. Personally, I think this is one of the most 50/50 items in the diabetes industry. 50% say it’s great and have no problems, 50% say it’s terrible and want their money back.

One thing else that I should add….the Freestyle Navigator will have ALL USER REPLACEABLE batteries. That means YOU DO NOT need to buy a new sensor or transmitter after 6-9 months like you do with the Dexcom and Minimed. At least one company understands how foam and rubber caskets can make something waterproof.

7. Nora S
    Nora S November 8, 2006 at 8:50 am | | Reply

Today your blog made me laugh about my diabetes. The “R” in RUT is me all the way! ;-) lol

8. Wendy Morgan
    Wendy Morgan February 21, 2007 at 6:21 am | | Reply

I am in a trial right now for the Freestyle Navigator pending its FDA Apporval. I really love the darned thing. I like the software that comes with it and I like knowing what my blood sugars are 24/7. I like that my BS rarely goes below 65 witht he alarms and it has been really helpful when I have been sick (like now). The sensor is water proof, but I think the sensor could be smaller (couldn’t they all). My daughter has type one and I am really curious about Minimed’s CGM, as we are both MM pumpers. Sensors look way to big.

I have documented my experiences since day one of the trial about the Navigator. Lots to love and some things to curse, but overall I LOVE this thing.