Why Schizophrenia is Related to Diabetes

Check! Get up and check your blood glucose.

But I’m so comfy here under the covers.

You’re soaring! You know you are.  And now 8 hours in bed. You want THAT on youAngelndevil_2r A1c?

But I was low! I was at 72 last time I checked.

Yes, but that was 2 hours ago, and you ate all that chocolate. You think that stuff ‘s just gonna ‘absorb’?

Bugger off.

Six chocolate kisses and a Kitkat is NOT a nibble.  Get up and check!  You can’t sleep now anyway.

Blast it.  I’m going…  188!  Happy now?

Yeah, we caught it.  Aggressive corrective dose.  There.  Good girl.

Uh-huh, put all the crap away, and ooh, ice-cold feet now.  Damn you.

OK, back to bed — ahhh.

(Long pause…)

You still up?

Wha?

How do we know it wasn’t too much insulin? What if we go too low?  Does he really know what to do?

Ah geez.  Bugger off, I said.

We should check.

Wha?

Get up and check!  You can’t sleep now anyway…

(Editor’s note: Apologies to the actual schizophrenia community.  Condolences to the other home-alone- in-the-office telecommuter types like me who actually say this kind of stuff out loud.)

1. Chrissie in Belgium
    Chrissie in Belgium October 16, 2006 at 9:09 am | | Reply

The worst is :
    1. When you are alone and
    2. you are SOOOO tired (probably a hypo but that never occurs to you at this point) and
    3. all is so nice and comfy in bed. Just give me a few more minutes here……

But then my other self, the mr. no-it-all/ the mr. perfect/ the mr. never-leave-me -alone persistently naggs me into getting up to do the dam test.

Maybe the schizo personality thing is good in these cases!

Sigh my DH will be gone 2 night this week and then starting on Friday for a whole week. Not fun alone with the D.

2. Lyrehca
    Lyrehca October 16, 2006 at 10:31 am | | Reply

Why get out of bed? With the meter on the nightstand, the pump attached (or Amy, a syringe and an insulin bottle in the meter) and Lifesavers on the nightstand, why would you have to get out of bed at all?

3. Kevin
    Kevin October 16, 2006 at 11:41 am | | Reply

At the beginning, I thought you’d somehow placed a tape-recorder inside my head (except for the “Good Girl” bit…).

But then I started thinking like Lyrehca: Keepin’ stuff next to my head (where ever it may be that I lay it each night) is essential. I can usually wake and test without hardly knowing it’s happened and be back asleep within 2 minutes.

It’s strange how natural it seems to me now to wake in the middle of the night, test my blood sugar, and make a minor adjustment (1-3 glucose tabs vs. a small bolus of insulin) all while basically being asleep. I’m actually surprised by nights when I don’t wake up.

It reminds me of that line from a Paul Simon song: “I don’t expect to sleep through the night…” (from Obvious Child, I think?).

4. Sarah
    Sarah October 16, 2006 at 12:07 pm | | Reply

I’ve screwed up my whole waking up at night and not leaving the bed thing because my lava lamp broke, which is my light next to my bed. Hmmmph. And Amy, I’ve had this monologue, well, probably THOUSANDS of times, meaning EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!

5. AmyT
    AmyT October 16, 2006 at 4:59 pm | | Reply

Unfortunately, the stuff-on-the-bedstand strategy has failed for me: too much fumbling in the dark (don’t want to wake hubby with the light), and too many finger-blood stains on the sheets. Yech.

6. Eric Jensen
    Eric Jensen October 17, 2006 at 7:24 pm | | Reply

This is where the Dexcom is handy – a quick press of a button, and you can see if you’re OK, or not. I know, it’s not always 100% reliable at night; but in my experience, if I see that the points are in a smooth line, and my BG is at a reasonable level, then I’m pretty confident it’s right – confident enough to go back to sleep. If it’s too low, then the Dexcom may or may not be right, so I’ll get up and test. But a lot of the time, this saves getting out of bed.

Have you banished your Dexcom from the bedroom entirely, Amy?

7. AmyT
    AmyT October 18, 2006 at 7:03 am | | Reply

Pretty much. Too many nights of unecessary beeping.

8. cindy