What Aggravates You Most?

Here’s something highly appropriate for your Monday: an in-depth look at the “Top 10 Patient Gripes” of diabetes patients around the country — a feature article researched and written by Yours Truly.

Dhealth_art
The article is presented in the October issue of Diabetes Health magazine and is also available online now HERE.

So only 10 gripes, you ask?  Is that all?!  Heck, I had to stop somewhere.

Now wouldn’t you like to know what topped the list?  Here’s a sneak preview of numbers one through three.  DRUMROLL, PLEASE…..

* The No. 1 Gripe of people living with diabetes is … (envelope please)… “The Exasperating Things Other People Say.”  Oh yes, THAT.

* In a close second is … “Feeling Lost and Alone.”  Yes, THAT TOO.

* And No.3 is … “Frustration with Your Doctor.”  AND THAT!!

For details on these universal stumbling blocks, plus some expert advice on how to overcome them, read the article, please.  Then stop back by here and let me know what you think, will ya?

1. Sarah
    Sarah October 23, 2006 at 7:27 am | | Reply

I LOVE the idea for diabetes etiquette cards. I may make some up and put them in a prominent place at my desk, just so people can grab one and read one. I’ll have to think of a way to do it though that won’t make THEM mad……

2. Vivian
    Vivian October 23, 2006 at 8:21 am | | Reply

Looooved the article! Great work. I hope you know how appreciated you really are.

3. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson October 23, 2006 at 10:08 am | | Reply

Amy!

Shame on ME for not cracking open the cover of my October issue!!

What a pleasant surprise to see a familiar name & face! Way to go!

The article was great, you have certainly hit the nail on the head with many of the issues. I also appreciate the positive approach you took with offering ideas on how to take the edge of some of these things.

4. Chrissie in Belgium
    Chrissie in Belgium October 23, 2006 at 11:22 am | | Reply

I appreciated your article very much. I do think you have mentioned the most important points that irritate so many of us. That you positively try to give advice on how to overcome these grievances is great.

However you state:”…we can take some comfort in knowing that if we do all these things, we can avoid the devastating effects of this particular disease.” It is important to point out that complications will be less if we try very hard to be “a good diabetic”, but they may occur NEVERTHELESS! There is too much that is still unknown about diabetes. I will give just one example – we cannot perfectly balance our blood sugars during and after strenuous exercise, and yet exercise is important for our health. So although we try our best, we cannot totally succeed. It is important to remember that today we are incapable of balancing our blood sugar values as well as a healthy pancreas. It is important to remember this when complications do arise after many years.

Secondly, concerning the common annoyance with doctors,the advice that we should be proactive and carefully plan what questions we have for our doctors, often just does not help. Docotors lack time and often they may even react negatively to a patient who is well informed. This occurs as much at “university hospitals” as anywhere else. It takes a very special kind of person to admit that we do not today have all the answers to our questions.

And sometimes diabetics just need for someone to take the time to listen……. We are not always asking for advice, we just want somebody to listen.

5. Minnesota Nice
    Minnesota Nice October 23, 2006 at 3:45 pm | | Reply

Pretty much sums it up! A great article.

6. Anne
    Anne October 23, 2006 at 9:42 pm | | Reply

Great article! For me it’s:
    1) Constantly having to spend part of my brain power on diabetes and always having to be super-conscious of everything I eat (or else paying the consequences later);
    2) Planning ahead. I sometimes want to go somewhere on the spur of the moment without going through the mental checklist of what supplies I need to bring.
    And that brings me to:
    3) all of the stuff I have to lug with me! I would love to go on a bike ride with 2 GU’s in my back pocket, a bottle of gatorade and some $$ if I felt like buying a snack somewhere. I hate lugging D-stuff with me to the pool, on my run, on my bike, etc. I guess I’m used to it, but it bugs me sometimes.