Our New Book, Unveiled

So you know I’ve been working on a “mystery book” for a while.  Well, it’s time for the wrapper to come off! Even though the cover design isn’t finished yet; this one’s just a temporary placeholder.

Know_your_numbers_draft_cover I’ve been privileged to co-author this book with Dr. Richard Jackson of the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston.  We’re calling it the “first-ever, hands-on guide to achieving a long and healthy life with diabetes.” It actually tells people in plain language what they need to do to get a handle on their own personal key health risks.

In essence, this book is meant to address the great number of people with Type 2 diabetes who might not have access to the best information or care.  But this do-it-yourself guide can be useful for all of us, who often neglect to get our test results regularly or do anything about the numbers even when we know them.  The book also includes very useful chapters (in my no-BS style) on exercise, food, traveling with diabetes, how to scour the Internet, foot and mouth care, complementary and alternative medicine, the newest diabetes devices and more.

Here’s the skinny, fresh from our new flier, which made its debut at this weekend’s TCOYD Conference:

Know
Your Numbers, Outlive Your Diabetes

Five Essential Health Factors You
Can Master to Enjoy a Long and Healthy Life

The first-ever guide to 5 crucial tests that everyone living with diabetes needs to have and monitor on a regular basis—by an MD at Joslin and Harvard Medical School and a diabetes patient expert.

Joslin Diabetes Center and Harvard University professor Dr. Richard Jackson and diabetes patient-expert and blogger/journalist Amy Tenderich walk readers through how to:

* understand each of these factors
    * determine which are the most important for you to focus on (based on your family history and other risk factors)
    * create a personalized treatment plan for optimum blood-glucose control, heart health, and general diabetes management and well-being.

This is a path-breaking book that will be required reading for every single person with diabetes aspiring to manage his or her condition as successfully and fully as possible.

Five tests are the cornerstones for monitoring one’s diabetes and developing a daily management plan—yet few of the more than 21 million people in the US living with diabetes know their results on all five of these. In April 2006 USA Today reported that just under 42% of adults with diabetes had had these tests.

The five factors are:

* A1c
    * Blood pressure
    * Lipids (HDL, LDL, triglycerides)
    * Microalbumin
    * Yearly eye exam

“Often people focus on the stuff they feel guilty about (usually weight or food), when that may not even be their most critical health issue.

“What people don’t usually do is get the hard facts on where they stand in terms of their own diabetes health risks. They either haven’t had the five essential diabetes health tests, or they have no idea what the results are or what they might mean. But these five tests — your A1c, blood pressure, lipids, microalbumin and eye exam — provide the essential information you need to understand and manage your own health with diabetes.”                     — from the Preface

*** ***

Scheduled to hit bookstores in January 2007, but the Amazon link to pre-order is up now!  (If you search Amazon.com for my name, it comes up twice: once for a reference in a multimedia book, and now for my very own {co}title.)  Oooh, now I really do feel famous :)

1. Living With Diabetes
    Living With Diabetes October 10, 2006 at 7:16 am | | Reply

Probably for the non-pumper

Amy’s got a book coming out. Diabetes Mine: Our New Book, Unveiled So you know I’ve been working on a “mystery book” for a while. Well, it’s time for the wrapper to come off! Even though the cover design isn’t…

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson October 10, 2006 at 7:55 am | | Reply

That’s AWESOME Amy!

Boy, I feel so privileged! My circle of cyber-friends are just way too cool.
    :-)

3. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell October 10, 2006 at 7:59 am | | Reply

Amy

Best of luck with the new book. My wife and I met Dr. Jackson about 14 years ago at Joslin. At the time she was my fiancee and we were doing a DOIT program so she could get educated more about diabetes. Along the way, I of course learnt more. I still remember Dr. Jackson doing a double take when my future wife asked him essentially how long I might live (I don’t remember exactly how she phrased it).

I guess he gave her the right answer! Thanks Dr. Jackson.

4. David Edelman
    David Edelman October 10, 2006 at 9:21 am | | Reply

Amy, that is AWESOME! It must be simply amazing to see your own name on the cover of a book. I look forward to picking up a copy and hearing what you have to say. May your sales go up up up!

5. Elinor
    Elinor October 10, 2006 at 1:31 pm | | Reply

Amy,

I ordered three and can’t wait to receive them.

You are awesome!!!

6. Anne
    Anne October 10, 2006 at 5:22 pm | | Reply

Congratulations, Amy! I hope that your book is successful at helping to stave off complications & de-complicate type 2 diabetes for all who read it.

7. gina
    gina October 10, 2006 at 5:22 pm | | Reply

Congrats amy!!! cant wait to read it

8. Kerri.
    Kerri. October 11, 2006 at 6:02 am | | Reply

An enormous congratulations to you, Amy! This is quite an accomplishment and I’m really looking forward to picking up a copy of your book. :)

You should be grinning like a loon today!!

9. Bob Holman
    Bob Holman October 11, 2006 at 8:13 am | | Reply

Wow – this is exciting!!! Back when I was diagnosed with Type 1 I did a search / call out for the best doctor in Boston to help me manage my diabetes. I received Dr. Jackson’s name and was lucky enough to connect with him. he has been my doctor at Joslin for the past 8 years or so. I am very excited about seeing a copy of this book.

Congratulations,

Bob

10. Dennis
    Dennis October 15, 2006 at 8:14 pm | | Reply

The Book and it’s contents sounds Nice, only one problem : trying to solve the ” est. only 42%” who get those blood tests…

I am going to assume that many of the other 58% fall into the catagory of either Being Seniors ( over Half of T2′s are ) that don’t know how, nor want to know how to use them, while the rest fall into Not having Health Insurance or are too Poor At that and , don’t have computers, nor know how to use them..

While those who Do have these things, already Know all this information, espeically T1′s that I ahve run into ( ie: Middle and Upper economic Class)

It seems their are plenty of Books already on the market that cover this information and alot more..

It also seems to me, that every Dr. from PCP’s to Endo’s to Every Nurse in the country should be GIVEN this book as required study..seeing as Any Dr. knowledgable about The Basics of Diabetes care, does these test automatically..

That leaves us with the Problem of what about getting to those other 58%?

How much of the Profits from this book are going to be used towards this problem? I’ll be the Honorable Dr. isn’t doing this book for free is he?

11. AmyT
    AmyT October 15, 2006 at 9:11 pm | | Reply

Oh Dennis,
    Very, very close to free! Being 1st time authors, we got a tiny advance that the 2 of us had to split.

Don’t fool yourself into thinking that anyone writes about diabetes to make a lot of money. That ain’t going to happen. We do it because we’re passionate about it. I hope we can help someone, be it the 42% or the other 58%. G-d willing…

12. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell December 18, 2006 at 5:55 pm | | Reply

Amy

I was just notified by Amazon that your book shipped today to my address. So it’s NOW AVAILABLE.

I’ll let you know what I think about it on my blog (I’m currently reading a book on nutrition at present).

Happy Christmas