The Diabetic Partner Follies, Act 6: Type 1 and 2 Coexisting? NOT!

Hello, and welcome again to the Diabetic Partner Follies, our “bold and beautiful” sharing forum for the people who spend their lives with the PWDs (people with diabetes).  It’s never boring, is it now?  Please consider sharing your experiences with us here by emailing me.  Come as you are :)

So, have you ever wondered what would happen if a Type 1 paired up with a Type 2?  This week’s entry defies introduction.  You just have to “be there”:

Hi Amy,

My name is Linda. I was diagnosed back in 1978 with type 1.28 years later, I have pretty much been through the good and the bad coping and living with this disease. For 2 years now, I have been dating a man with type 2 diabetes. He was diagnosed about 4 years ago. He does not take care of himself or is diligent with testing like he should. I am constantlyT1_and_t2_couple_1 having to remind him to take his Byetta, take his pills, and for pete’s sake test your freakin’ sugar once in awhile.

He eats what he wants and drinks whatever he wants anytime he wants. Meanwhile here I am testing 5-6 times a day taking my meds and shots like I’m supposed too. I eat about 1/4 of the food and carbs that he does, and I try to exercise every day.

So now it’s time for our endo appointments, we have the same doc and go to these visits together. What do you think happens? His A1c is a 5.8!!!!!  Pretty close to normal. He’s doing great except for the bit of weight he needs to shed.

Now it’s my turn in the hot seat. Here I am following all the rules like a good little soldier. I’m counting carbs, calculating dosages, and all the things you’re supposed to do, and what is mine?  A whopping 8.2!!

Granted I have been dealing with this and the complications of not being in control at all when I was in my early twenties, but give me a break.  It can downright piss you off, when you know you’re doing all the right things, eating the right amounts, and the right foods and here comes Mr. 5.8 plopping down next to you on the couch with his big glass of milk and his whole sleeve of Chips Ahoy cookies just munching away without a care in the world.

One of these days I swear I’m going to whack him upside the head with his sleeve of cookies!!!

Thanks for starting the Follies.  I could send a submission a week and never run out of stories in this 1 and 2 household!!

Thanks for your time,

– L.B.

Editor’s note: Linda B. says she’s had 4 tattoos with diabetes, and never had a problem.  Go Linda!

1. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson September 22, 2006 at 8:04 am | | Reply

Thanks for sharing Linda’s story Amy! And thank you Linda for sending it in!

That sounds very frustrating and almost downright unfair. Urg!

2. Libby
    Libby September 22, 2006 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

That’s really funny to read, but I am sure very frustrating to live. It seems as if you are doing all that you can do to keep up with your diabetes, so congratratulations for that. Oh, and tell him to eat his cookies somewhere else, like on the moon.

3. Rachel
    Rachel September 22, 2006 at 2:24 pm | | Reply

wow, there’s another household like mine?
    ;)

4. DaveH
    DaveH September 23, 2006 at 7:28 pm | | Reply

OK, that is a pretty interesting story. In my house, I play the role of overweight t2 and my wife is t1. She was diagnosed at 12 and is now 48 and has had lots of nasty complications. Two MIs with significant heart damage and she is now in stage 5 renal failure. Three years ago, she got on a pump and her A1Cs have been great, always in the 6.5 – 7 range, but years of poor control have taken their toll. Interestingly enough, she is in great spirits and is taking really good care of herself. We are waiting for another visit to Cleveland Clinic to see if she gets on the list for a Kidney/Pancreas or just a Kidney. We fear that dialysis is just around the corner.

I on the other hand, have a strong family history of diabetes and got Type 2 six years ago. I have fluctuated in my control, but am currently just on MetaGlip and doing pretty well. We will see what our Endo says on Halloween (our next appt.) I want to get on Byetta and stop taking so much MetaGlip or get off of metaformin all together. ]

Anyhow, love the site and hope the technology catches up with both of us!

5. BuzzTracker.com
    BuzzTracker.com September 26, 2006 at 12:00 am | | Reply

Featured on BuzzTracker

6. Ema
    Ema July 26, 2007 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

My boyfriend is a diabetic and he drinks and becomes verbally abusive whenever he drinks. He don’t care what he eats and don’t want to be circumcised. Iwant him to be able to take care of his health. He said he rather die. I want us to get married and have at least one child. He has children from his first marriage. What should i do. The verbal abuse became unbearable and i hit him on his head with my hands. I am totally confused about the situation.