Leavin’ On a Jet Plane

The diabetes industry is busy gearing up for the big event of the summer, the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) annual conference, taking place this year in Los Angeles next week. I’m getting lots of emails about potential meetings at this event. And wouldn’t you know it? I’m not going down this summer, ’cause I’m leavin’ on a jet plane tomorrow(!) for that annual sojourn toAade_2006_1 Germany.

The AADE event is, once again, jam-packed with progressive-sounding educational sessions for diabetes educators. You can check out the program HERE. Plus the expo promises an impressive 263 exhibitors, coming at diabetes care from every imaginable angle. And surely less of a zoo than the huge annual ADA conference

But I will be on VACATION, for heaven’s sake! Trying to think about diabetes as little as possible. {Wipe off that smirk!}

Plane_in_sunset This shouldn’t be too difficult on the journey out, as who can concentrate on themselves much while holed up on an 11-hour transatlantic flight with three kids and a cabin full of people who just wish they’d be quiet? For the first time ever, I am making the trip ALONE with my three kids (except for the cabin full of other paying guests…)

Hmm, what will my DexCom do at 30,000 feet?

Ah, and about the posting strategy for the next three-and-a-half weeks here at DiabetesMine.com: look for a mix of “regular” posts, that have been in the queue for a while, and some live-blog posts on my observations. The latter may be brief. Because Internet access at my in-laws’ historic home is, well… let’s say, less convenient than what we’re used to. And they actually use dial-up, so I’m blocking the family phone line every time I go online. Viva la New World!

1. Val
    Val August 3, 2006 at 7:58 am | | Reply

I know with the other continous monitor study we were instructed to remove the transmitter during plane flights – I imagine DexCom is the same way. It’s a radio transmitter, so they worry about possible interference on the flight.

Enjoy your trip!

2. Fard Johnmar
    Fard Johnmar August 3, 2006 at 9:03 am | | Reply

Have a great trip Amy!

3. Kerri.
    Kerri. August 3, 2006 at 11:44 am | | Reply

Have a fantastic trip, Amy!

4. Runehawk
    Runehawk August 3, 2006 at 1:09 pm | | Reply

“Hmm, what will my DexCom do at 30,000 feet?”

Okay, I’ll take a guess: pump insulin?

Have a great trip! -r

5. AmyT
    AmyT August 3, 2006 at 4:55 pm | | Reply

Hi Runehawk,
    Thanks for the well-wishes. Please note that the DexCom is not an insulin pump, but rather a (new and somewhat quirky) continuous glucose monitor.

See my category called “DexCom and Me” for details.

6. Eric Jensen
    Eric Jensen August 3, 2006 at 6:17 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,

For what it’s worth, I had no problems going through airport security with my Dexcom transmitter attached (receiver went through the x-ray machine, of course), and it worked fine on the plane.

When the flight attendants issued the standard “Please turn off all electronic equipment – anything with an on-off switch” I thought, “no on-off switch, I’m not going to worry about it”. And it was fine.

Realistically, the power is *so* low, even compared to a cell phone. Given that the receiver can’t detect the signal from the transmitter from more than 5 feet away, I don’t think there’s any worry about interference. I’m not an engineer, but that’s my reading of the situation. That said, I suspect the best strategy is “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

Have a great trip!

7. Elizabeth Zabell
    Elizabeth Zabell August 4, 2006 at 6:02 am | | Reply

Amy I hope that you all have a wonderful vacation!