DexCom Patient Software Approved and Available

Thanks to MikeG for the tip, as my family and I have literally just landed. Cleared customs, hopped in a van, dropped our luggage in the foyer, and of course I’m online already (if a little light-headed).

Dexcom_logoBut I just had to call attention to the news that DexCom’s software allowing patients to download and view up to 30 days of glucose data from its wireless continuous monitoring system was approved by the FDA today! The product info doesn’t appear on DexCom’s site yet, but Mike reports via a sales rep that the retail price will be $79, and the company will start shipping next week. On behalf of the Upstairs gang: Hooray!!

Now I’m going downstairs (literallly, not metaphorically) here to collapse. More from the DM Front once the Jet Lag’s done its thing :)

1. JasonJayhawk
    JasonJayhawk August 30, 2006 at 2:51 am | | Reply

They’re making you pay for the software?!? (Why am I not surprised!)

Some glucose meter companies, such as Freestyle and Onetouch, provide the programming interface to their meters. This allows a person to write software that can download results right from the meter.

I hope the CGMS companies release the same interface details so that people can write their own routines to download the data. Of course, with the software, and some sniffing tools, one could obtain the interface themselves, but that’s a bit of work and $79 for the software. Do’h!

2. MikeG
    MikeG August 30, 2006 at 7:59 am | | Reply

I’d rather have it for free, of course. However, OneTouch charged for their software for the first few years (think I paid about $50). Being a software engineer, I did just what you suggested and wrote my own stuff to import their readings into Excel. May do the same thing if I need to with the Dex software.

Even at $79, I’m excited about getting it.

3. Eric Jensen
    Eric Jensen August 30, 2006 at 9:13 am | | Reply

Re: writing your own software. Don’t forget that you need a cable, too! So even if the protocol were public, the investment of time necessary to write software *and* build your own interface cable starts to look non-trivial.

Also, while it used to be the case that Lifescan made the communications protocol for their meters publicly available, that hasn’t been the case for several years now (not since the Ultra, I think).

I, too, wish I didn’t have to pay $79. But let’s not forget that this is a young company that is currently losing money; it’s hard for me to blame them for charging for the software, which of course cost them time and money to create.

4. type1steve
    type1steve August 30, 2006 at 4:07 pm | | Reply

Minimed doesn’t charge customers anything for Carelink, https://carelink.minimed.com/patient/entry.jsp?bhcp=1, their online version equivalent of the Dexcom software product.

5. type1steve
    type1steve August 30, 2006 at 4:10 pm | | Reply

Forgot to mention that Carelink supports data from Minimed’s Paradigm 522/722 real time system (CGMS). I have the 522 with CGMS. Regards, Steve

6. anurag jain
    anurag jain August 31, 2006 at 1:05 pm | | Reply

I have been told by DexCom rep, if you bought their system in month of August, they will provide it free.

7. Rick Stockton
    Rick Stockton September 1, 2006 at 6:00 pm | | Reply

I got on the waiting list right away, (during the first couple hours after the announcement). The CS woman on the phone said that they hoped to ship starting TODAY (9/1), though they might actually start on Tuesday.

I asked that it be sent along with a spare OT calibration cable, and a spare Charger. I’m addicted to this thing, and wouldn’t want to live a single day without it if I lost one of those items.

I’m happy to pay the $79– I demolish their finances so badly, with each 5-pack of Sensors lasting almost 3 months. Too many customers like me, they’ll die.

8. Jane Smith
    Jane Smith September 6, 2006 at 10:38 pm | | Reply

Still doesn’t show up in the DexCom online store…

9. Nicole
    Nicole September 8, 2006 at 10:10 am | | Reply

How accurate have others found the Dexcom CGMS to be? I am trying to make the decision to purchase today. Have you found it allows you to have the freedom to test less often during the day? This would be good for me as I will be entering busy clinical rotations as a physician assistant student.

10. Nicole
    Nicole September 8, 2006 at 10:28 am | | Reply

Any one get Blue Cross PPO coverage?

11. Deborah
    Deborah September 8, 2006 at 4:02 pm | | Reply

I just got in on one of those one-week trials of the DexCom, and so far BOTH sensors that came with it have been duds. When I pulled them out they were at an angle, and the rep said the problem was that I didn’t have enough fat, although in your picture you’re a bit thinner than I am…so I’m not sure why mine didn’t work. I have the little antennae…just no numbers after I do the two-fingerstick calibration. I left one in for 12 hours, and the second in for 3 after the calibration. No dice.

Anyway, I think I’m sticking the thing in wrong. They’re sending me two more sensors for Saturday delivery, and I’m DYING to see those numbers. Any ideas? Are your sensors at an angle when you pull ‘em out? Or are they perpendicular from the patch?

12. MikeG
    MikeG September 11, 2006 at 9:44 am | | Reply

Nicole,

I’ve had mine for 3 months now. It is certainly a buggy, first gen product that is sometimes inaccurate.

However, even with that, it has been a life-changing device for me. I’ve gone from 6-10 strips a day to 2-3. I’ve had 2 reactions in 3 months, when I used to have 1-2 a week. My A1C has gone from 7.5 to 6.5.

But the biggest improvement for me has been exactly what you’re looking for: the freedom and confidence to live a demanding life. I can sit through a 3 hour meeting without worrying that my BS will crash and I’ll do something stupid. I can go for a 2 hour run and keep my BS in the low hundreds. If you have a demanding job, it’s hard to stop, find a place, and test. It’s easy to reach down every few minutes, hit a button, and not only see your BS, but the trend that will let you guess where it’s going and understand how it got there.

13. Todd
    Todd September 18, 2006 at 12:43 pm | | Reply

I would like to explain some things to some of you. Dexcom and the FDA have been monitoring this site and because of things said such as sensors left in for more then 7 days at a time and re-writing the EEPROM in the Dexcom device to make changes to the way it performs, made the FDA request that some type of prevention be put in for the sensor not to go more the 7 days, which hence you have to use a KEY each time for each new sensor. Then they are trying to LOCK down somehow the EEPROM Code from being read, so some SE can’t re-write the code to make changes to the device…like remove the KEY so you can go beyond 7 days. Now, of course just like any other items of interest to use people that like to play and experminent, we can always just IM, or email what we’ve found, but we want ALL Dexcom users to know about this stuff. So, I’ve got the software coming this week and if anybody has FB on writing their own code, please email me, so we can discuss how to make a wonderful device even better.