Hot and Gorgeous (and Well-Funded)

In San Francisco, that is. HOT, HOT, HOT! (which is not good news for everyone, it seems). We had to abandon the house for the beach all weekend, which was a bit of a challenge with my DexCom belly. I braved a bikini one day, and lay there covering my Dex with a pair of crumpled shorts. StillHeat_wave_sm glad I have it, though. Had some serious BG swings in this weather.

Anyhoo, another reason to love my home state: the day after Bush’s veto, our illustrious “Gubernator” Arnold Schwarzenegger granted a $150-million loan to stem cell research in the state of California. He says, “I remain committed to advancing stem cell research in California, in the promise it holds for millions of our citizens who suffer from chronic diseases and injuries that could be helped as a result of stem cell research.” (I’ve never been much of a fan, and I’m sure there’s some political chess at play here, but nevertheless, finally a reason to say: Go Arnie!)

Outside California, the stem cell battle rages on. Let’s make no mistake, however: “Scientists say embryonic cells holds the most promise because the undifferentiated embryonic cells can be developed into cells that form any organ of the body.”

Meanwhile, I get it: you all want more details on my CGM experience — except it’s a bit hard to concentrate in this weather. Which would explain why I’m “all over the map” today. So post your queries here! Anybody cool enough to pose a halfway articulate question ought to get a halfway articulate answer, hopefully. If the heat lets up…

1. Jay
    Jay July 24, 2006 at 9:04 am | | Reply

Hey,
    My endo is thinking about a DexCom rental system, where a person can rent the DexCom system for a week. This would allow you to work on locking down basel rates with out the huge cost of buying the unit. I am expected to be the first to try it out. I am very interested to hear your reports.

2. Diane
    Diane July 24, 2006 at 11:19 am | | Reply

Another wonderful reason to love California…how ridiculous. As with abortion, it’s about winning universal acceptance for the view of human beings as mere animals to be used instrumentally for the purposes of ‘enlightened’ elites, rather than as ends in themselves. Sorry for letting my personal religious convictions cloud the proven fact that executing the tiniest individuals will result in a cure for diabetes.

3. AmyT
    AmyT July 24, 2006 at 1:21 pm | | Reply

Diane,
    You are certainly entitled to your opinions. But nobody’s being executed, that’s clear.

4. ksc
    ksc July 24, 2006 at 3:07 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,
    Do you often have problems during heat waves? I’ve found it hard to predict then too. I hope the beach was fun!

5. Nick
    Nick July 24, 2006 at 5:47 pm | | Reply

The heat is excruciating. I stopped running and started taking up walking instead. I walk an hour before it gets dark to avoid the heat.

I wish politicans would leave medical research up to doctors. Including questions of ethics. Hey, isn’t that what the tenth amendment to the Constitution basically says?

And yes, being outside in the heat this morning ( I had to take my car to the garage for a repair estimate) did make my blood sugar go up. Not so much that an hour walking didn’t bring it back to normal without another insulin injection. Phew!!

Last week, on the hottest day of the year, 96 F, I had to drive to a doctor’s appointment with
    the heater in my car running full blast because the radiator fan had stopped working.
    (96F–what is that? about two degrees below body temp? Not much of a safety margin, is it?) So think about that while you’re relaxing at the beach……

6. JasonJayhawk
    JasonJayhawk July 25, 2006 at 12:07 am | | Reply

There’s a major reason I’m sad, upset, distraught, and jealous about the Governator funding stem cell research in California…

He’s taking many of the brilliant scientists away from the Midwest research centers and bringing them to his state.

*sigh*

At the Stower’s Institute in Kansas City, the door just seems to keep revolving. Luckily, though, we have some minds that like this area, and since California is prone to earthquakes, maybe some will stay here after all. ;-)

7. Kevin
    Kevin July 26, 2006 at 7:35 pm | | Reply

Amy,
    I’m glad you’ve opened the door to questions about the Dexcom unit. I have had several conversations with a Dexcom rep here in the Chicago area and will be talking to my endo on 8/1 to see if the unit is a good fit for me. My question for you is… “how does the unit work with your active lifestyle?” I am a cyclist and ride 100 – 170 miles per week. I can clearly see the benefits of wearing it, but am unsure of how comfortable it’ll be while active.

8. AmyT
    AmyT July 27, 2006 at 8:04 am | | Reply

Hey KSC:
    Yes, I was bouncing around alot in the heat. Was actually quite low for a few days, which baffled me. Geez, is there anything that DOESN’T affect the diabetes?!