Submit Your ADA Questions Here

OK, folks, as I move into travel-prep mode for this week’s American Diabetes Association Conference Siphon_cartoon and peruse my schedule, I am wondering how the heck to cover this sweeping event, whose sheer enormity made my head spin last year. On top of that, I’ve got a number of meetings planned that will keep me from attending a lot of the lecture sessions (even some that I really did want to hear!)

So here’s the Game Plan: You tell me. Already several of you submitted questions for islet cell researcher Dr. Camilo Ricordi, whom I hope to interview at the event. What else would y’all like to know? What would be YOUR biggest curiousity, if you were attending the ADA Conference this year?

I can’t promise to get answers to everything, but I sure shall try. Thank you, Enquiring Minds…

1. art-sweet
    art-sweet June 5, 2006 at 7:34 am | | Reply

I’m interested in…

Psychological Stress, Depression and Diabetes: The Neuroendocrine Link
    Presented by Sherita Hill Golden, MD, MHS and New Approaches to Glucose Sensing and Building a Foundation for the Artificial Pancreas: The Reality of Continuous
    Glucose Monitoring (corporate sessions)

Thanks Amy! I can’t wait to hear your report.

2. Brian S
    Brian S June 5, 2006 at 11:09 am | | Reply

Amy:
    Thank you for your work at DiabetesMine! Here are questions I would ask the ADA participants:

1. The most promising developments in a cure for Type 1 appear to revolve around the regeneration of beta cells, even in those of us who have had IDDM for many years. How exactly do the recommended protocols for this really work? If they permanently destroy T-cells that continuously attack beta cell regeneration, would this leave us dangerously exposed to other good things those same T-cells also do? Are there any other cautions or considerations for patients after these possible “cures”?

2. Continuous glucose monitoring seems to be finally taking off; however, my endocrinologist (one of the best and most written about in the world) believes that they are still inaccurate. Can we get some objective evidence of the true accuracy (both in terms of time and mg/dl) of the different approaches and products–both on the market or in test?

3. Estimates of the presence of Gastro paresis among diabetics seem to be as high as 50%, and even higher for those who have a decade or two under their belt (due to prolonged vagus nerve damage). I know very few practitioners who even discuss gastro paresis with their patients, and even fewer who test for it. Given the serious implications on blood sugar control, what is the ADA doing about this? Are there any new developments in therapies here?

4. We were treated this past week to another study on the effect of a low carb diets on blood lipids, and it indicated lipid profile improvement for those on such diets. What is the most current ADA position on this, and under what circumstances would the ADA consider changing its long standing dietary guidelines?

Good luck at the conference. I look forward to reading your reports on it.

3. Kassie
    Kassie June 5, 2006 at 2:05 pm | | Reply

I’d like to know who put the bop in the bop sh-bop sh-bop?

Other than that, I’m looking forward to your take on the goings-on.

4. AmyT
    AmyT June 5, 2006 at 4:44 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the input, guys. And thanks for taking the pressure off, Kass! Maybe I’ll just sh-bop all around the place…

5. BillyWarhol
    BillyWarhol June 5, 2006 at 5:20 pm | | Reply

some great comments from yer readers & i’m thrilled the Islet Cells & possible Cure are at the Top of yer Agenda!! I know they have been making some tremendous headway in Alberta with Islet Cells being injected into the Liver.

the headway they’re making with creating these cells from a person’s own stem cells so rejection isn’t an issue bodes well too!

could U see if the Preci-Jet or Avanta-Jet needleless injector is exhibiting. i think it’s a great option that very few diabetics seem to know about.

Thanks Amy! ;) )

6. JasonJayhawk
    JasonJayhawk June 6, 2006 at 2:05 am | | Reply

I’d like to hear about any new products that haven’t been on the market yet, especially from any small upstarts that have booths!

7. Thomas
    Thomas June 6, 2006 at 4:19 am | | Reply

Hi Amy

I’d be really interested to find out how the guys at Calisto Medical are getting on with their Glucoband continuous monitor project.

Thanks

Thomas

8. Eric Jensen
    Eric Jensen June 6, 2006 at 10:12 am | | Reply

Hi Amy,

Thanks for soliciting our opinions! I think the list of questions from Brian S is an excellent one. I’ll put a strong second in for my personal favorite, continuous glucose monitoring. Anything you can find out about the prevailing opinion about existing and future devices would be great. And I guess I’m especially interested in reactions to the existing devices (e.g. Minimed Paradigm Real-time 522/722, Dexcom STS) – how people are using them in their practices, whether there are any studies planned/ongoing about improvements of patient outcomes, etc. The latter (studying outcomes) seems crucial for getting insurance coverage for these.

Thanks!

Have a great trip,

Eric

9. Carol
    Carol June 6, 2006 at 11:22 am | | Reply

I would like to know why tools like the pump/cgm combo are first introduced and available in Canada. Also, when new technology is being developed, someone should be working with the big insurance cos so they are up to speed and can cover the new tool upon introduction. Why not? Thanks.

10. Becky
    Becky June 6, 2006 at 12:57 pm | | Reply

As if you didn’t have enough on your plate already ;) There is a current job opening at Abbott for a software engineer and it’s labeled “Navigator/Insulet”. It also has this in the job description: “Supporting development of the low level design and device drivers for the next generation Navigator/Insulet/Caregiver monitor/Cradle .” That sounds like they are going to wrrite software for the two to communicate. If you get a chance, can you ask either company if an Omnipod/Navigator combined product is in the works?
    Thank you and have a good trip!

11. Carlita Blanton
    Carlita Blanton June 10, 2006 at 9:53 pm | | Reply

i am looking for help on medical coverage on my pump supplies.Government won’t help because i am not under the age of nineteen and im not pregnant. I work as a waitress and not sure if i could pay for some insurance companies even if they would take me with a pre-exsisting condition.Any thing would help thanks.

12. jacky
    jacky November 16, 2006 at 3:33 am | | Reply

Give us some news about the Glucoband !!!!!!!!! Are they still in buiseness ???????
    ASAP quick pronto

13. oran
    oran August 3, 2007 at 3:59 pm | | Reply

Hi there, I stumbled across this page and found it very interesting. Perhaps you may find this interesting as well.

14. Diabetes Guru
    Diabetes Guru September 2, 2007 at 3:44 pm | | Reply

Please check out this resource in your analysis: http://www.iKnowAboutIt.com/diabetes

15. surender
    surender December 15, 2007 at 4:01 am | | Reply

Hello,

My name is Surinder Kaur, 46 years old and i am from India. I am a patient of diebetes and thyroid as well.Actually my mother was the patient of diebetes, so i also have been caught by this disease. One of my sisters is also suffering from same as it hereditary factor.I have been taking tablets for diebetes for last 3 years. Unfortunately,5 months back i came to know that i am suffering from thyroid also.I put a lot of weight.I was 67 and now i am 78Kg.

Now i do walking for 30 Min, don’t eat sugar food. Drink 1 glass of milk, 2 glasses of lemon water. I eat a lot of salad. I eat only 2 chappati(bread) in a single diet.I eat the food 2 times in a day.In fact i have now controlled both of my diseases diebetes and thyroid.

I request you to guide me to accomplish the following goals-:

1) To get rid of diebetes and thyroid completely.

2) To reduce my weight upto 65 Kgs

Please suggest me proper diet,exercise or whatever you think correct and beneficial for me. I am really depressed. Please help me out. I will be really heartily thankful to you…Good bye and take care.

Surinder Kaur