Blog Plagiarism

The editors over at Medgadget and others have been quite upset over the newly launched BlogBurst service (an opt-in syndicator that offers blog content to newspapers) along with many “aggregators” that reprint people’s blog posts without express permission. Frankly, I’ve been on the fence about the issue myself, believing that as long as there is CLEAR ATTRIBUTION and a LINK BACK to the original blog, maybe it is just another Google-type service to help readers find stuff they’re interested in.

But now this: I’ve just discovered that a site called “Drugs & Pills” is STEALING MY CONTENT IN FULL WITH NO ATTRIBUTION! (I’ve removed the link, to cut off providing them additional traffic). This is a complete outrage! I see at least 16 of my original posts with no mention of DiabetesMine.com or my name. I can only assume that the other posts there are stolen as well. Piss!! There’s no contact information posted at that site, so I have no way to protest!

This problem is apparently becoming pandemic, because the Boston Globe did a story on online plagiarism just a few days ago. They recommend a site called Plagiarism Today. I’m checking it out now.

1. Jonathan Bailey
    Jonathan Bailey May 12, 2006 at 1:20 pm | | Reply

First off, thank you very much for the link and for tackling the issue of aggregation. It’s a complicated matter with a great deal of mixed emotions. It’s not easy to talk about as I discovered myself recently.

However, I have to file a correction regarding blogburst. Blogburst, to my knowledge, doesn’t reuse anyone’s content without permission. You have to apply to become a Blogburst member and many that apply are not accepted.

To my knowledge, no one being reprinted by Blogburst is having it done without their permission.

There are, however, no shortage of sites that do reuse posts without permission and they are the source of a great deal of controversy.

On that note though, joining Blogburst is not for everyone and your linked articles make valid points about why it’s not right for many, perhaps even most bloggers.

2. Jonathan Bailey
    Jonathan Bailey May 12, 2006 at 1:22 pm | | Reply

I apologize for the double post but I omitted to say that, if you want my help in dealing with your plagiarist, feel free to write me via the contact form of my site and I’ll see what I can do to help.

Sorry again for the double post.

3. Scott Mark
    Scott Mark May 12, 2006 at 1:24 pm | | Reply

Yikes! That is not cool – I have had my content syndicated on a couple of sites without permission, but like you said it had clear attribution and a backlink, so I took it as additional traffic. But plagiarism is not cool.

I hadn’t heard about Blogburst, but am going to think about that. Seems like just additional traffic to me – maybe I should value my time more, but if someone makes a few bucks off my *blog* content, I don’t think I’m too worried… need to think that through though.

4. Felix Kasza
    Felix Kasza May 12, 2006 at 1:25 pm | | Reply

FWIW, here is the whois info. That says all about your chances to stop this theft:

Registrant:

8123200732 Fax –

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS.MAJORDOMO.RU
    GODZILLA.MAJORDOMO.RU

5. Scott Mark
    Scott Mark May 12, 2006 at 1:29 pm | | Reply

I’m also sorry about the double post, but that does say it all – take a look (or Google) the allofmp3 web site the the legal skirting Russian law has for music.

6. David Edelman
    David Edelman May 12, 2006 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

Amy, that is SO LAME! There is one thing working in your favor: Google will penalize that site in the rankings for stealing from you.

You have a high PageRank. They don’t. You publish first. They publish second. It’s clear who’s creating the content and who’s stealing.

I read on Digital Point or WebMasterWorld that sites that put part of someone elses content in blockquotes and link to the original are note penalized, which makes sense. But wholesale stealing is out. If they didn’t look for that, their rankings would be full of spam sites and increasingly they’re not.

When they’re caught doing this, they’re put in the “sandbox”. Google crawls the site but doesn’t fully include them in the index.

Anyway, I feel your pain. I have another blog and the content is ripped off all of the friggin time. But what can you do?!

7. enoch choi
    enoch choi May 12, 2006 at 4:17 pm | | Reply

coming to bloggercon IV?

per network solutions:

Registrant:
    Natalia F Sharafutdinova

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
    Domain Name: DRUGPOST.NET

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS.MAJORDOMO.RU
    GODZILLA.MAJORDOMO.RU

For complete domain details go to:

The previous information has been obtained either directly from the registrant or a registrar of the domain name other than Network Solutions. Network Solutions, therefore, does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness.

Show underlying registry data for this record

Current Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
    IP Address: 81.177.16.110 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
    IP Location: RU(RUSSIAN FEDERATION)
    Record Type: Domain Name
    Server Type: Other 0
    Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
    Web Site Status: Active
    DMOZ no listings
    Y! Directory: see listings
    Secure: No
    E-commerce: No
    Traffic Ranking: Not available
    Data as of: 12-Apr-2006

8. Megan
    Megan May 13, 2006 at 4:26 pm | | Reply

I don’t get how people don’t realize it’s stolen. It’s obvious the writing style varies greatly from post to post.

9. JasonJayhawk
    JasonJayhawk May 13, 2006 at 10:31 pm | | Reply

UGGHHH!!!!!! This frustrates me.

In looking at one of their links (at the “Comments RSS”), if you remove the “feed” portion, you’ll get http://drugpost.net/comments/feed/. It is a blatant copy of your site because it even has the diabetesmine.com links still in it. It’s like someone forgetting to erase the evidence.

The question is, if they aren’t putting their name on the site, what are they getting out of it? My only guess is that they are selling Google ads along their right column. It must be profitable.

Wouldn’t it be great if they blatantly copy this day’s entry?

This kind of thing makes me angry.

10. Shannon Lewis
    Shannon Lewis May 13, 2006 at 11:20 pm | | Reply

If you click on the title of the post, it links to your article here on Diabetes Mine.

But, they should have your name or site printed at the beginning or end of the article because people might not know to click on the title.

Nonetheless, they should get your permission to post your articles.

11. Kelsey
    Kelsey May 15, 2006 at 10:39 am | | Reply

Wow, that’s just eerie. I glanced at the thieving blog and the posts are completed yours, word for word. I’m glad you discovered this and can do something about it Amy. Good luck!

12. Thirty three percent of Adults Diabetic

There is a huge portion of the population who don’t know they have diabetes or who are at risk for diabetes.