Anyone Catch Charlie Rose?

So I’d nearly forgotten that my uncle rang me the other day — as I was rushing out the door — to tell me that Charlie Rose was airing a Panel on Diabetes, which was starting in about 12.5 minutes! Right. We do actually have Tivo now, but I’m not THAT much of a whiz, and couldn’t stand the thought of my little ones waiting in the rain…

So did anyone catch the March 16 episode, which featured Dr. Richard Bernstein, and also Ana MarieCharlie_rose_2 Cox, aka the queen of the society/political blogosphere called “Wonkette“? Damn, I’m sorry to have missed that!

According to a few politically aware bloggers, the show was all about the Plague Status of Diabetes: it’s the only disease in the United States that’s on the rise, rather than the decline. Apparently the show was very scary and moving, and I’m kind of shocked to find that not one of us D-bloggers covered it yet.

Ironically, the one guy who did the most in-depth post — citing that 90% of diabetes is caused by obesity or poor diet — calls himself “FatBlogger.” He hasn’t got the ‘betes. But his dad did. He’s worried.

There was also some discussion about it here. One Google Group Guy writes:

Diabetics are doing a poor job at selling
proper care and research. Accepting
too many excuses. Accepting too much
profit gouging schemes.

Some use it as an excuse to “BE ON.”

At least it’s getting more national exposure,
not led by the money people.

Huh?

1. Kassie
    Kassie March 22, 2006 at 4:38 pm | | Reply

dude, we totally elected *you* to keep tabs on this stuff!

I missed this one (ok, so I’ve never watched Charlie Rose) but did see the NYT reporter on c-span a while back – and blogged about it. I thought he spoke very well.

2. Andrea H.
    Andrea H. March 22, 2006 at 6:00 pm | | Reply

Amy I did see it, thanks to a note posted in one of the diabetes Yahoo groups I read. The guests were:
    MARC SANTORA
    The New York Times
    MITCHELL LAZAR
    DR. Director, The Institute for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, The University of Pennsylvania
    RICHARD BERNSTEIN
    DR. Author, “Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars”
    MARTIN SILINK
    President-Elect, International Diabetes Federation

I sure didn’t see Ana Marie Cox, though!

They discussed diabetes from an epidemic standpoint, much like that NY Times series that ran a couple of months ago. If you read the series, you wouldn’t have learned anything new from this show. I’m sure Dr. Berstein could have contributed even more of his often contraversial thoughts, but he probably had to “stick with the program.”

3. David Mendosa
    David Mendosa March 22, 2006 at 6:10 pm | | Reply

Amy,

You can spend 99 cents and buy the March 16 Charlie Rose broadcast with Dr. Bernstein. The URL is http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tvshow%3ACharlie_Rose&so=1

4. AmyT
    AmyT March 22, 2006 at 10:01 pm | | Reply

Thanks, David. So do you think it’s worth the buck?

5. David Mendosa
    David Mendosa March 23, 2006 at 7:15 am | | Reply

Amy,

Even if you have read all four of Dr. Bernstein’s books, as I have, you can always get more from him. Doesn’t mean that you and I have to agree with everything he says!

6. Kim
    Kim March 23, 2006 at 1:07 pm | | Reply

Was putting the diabetes into the bird flu category the only way to break its stereotype? I am skeptical that the “medical community is galvanized” to care for diabetics. The stellar care I’ve received has been thanks to individuals, not institutions, over the years. I hope this type of show is the start of flood-gate of discussion and more resources for care and a cure, but I fear that it could end up as a list of weakened dietary recommendations.