Diabetic Investor

About 4 months or so ago, an acquaintance came up with a brilliant business idea for me: investigate diabetes companies for potential investors, and publish a newsletter with my findings and insider tips. Intriguing, but seeing as I’m not financially savvy (and prefer to explore the patient-side of the D-world), I let it go.

But wouldn’t you know that somebody’s done it already? And very successfully, too, I might add. David Kliff launched Diabetic Investor seven years ago, after being diagnosed himself with diabetesDkliff_1 in 1994. The story he told me is that early on, he attended a diabetes seminar near his home in Chicago to learn about his ailment. When the other participants heard what he did for a living — independent investment advising — they immediately bombarded him questions about the market outlook for various diabetes companies, most of which he’d never heard of at the time.

The call for diabetes-related investment information was so strong that David soon dropped his day job, personally advising high net-worth clients, to focus on Diabetic Investor full-time. His newsletters and email alerts now go out to thousands of customers across the country. And his specialized knowledge has made him a celebrity of sorts in the investment community; David’s appeared on CNBC and been featured in the Wall St. Journal, Washington Post, Forbes, Money Magazine, and many more.

I met with him on Sunday afternoon while he was in town for the JP Morgan Healthcare Conference. We chatted about blogging and about new products, in particular the OmniPod, which he’s been wearing for several months and loves (!). I asked enthusiastically about various non-invasive metering technologies on the horizon, only to get the veteran observer’s somewhat jaded response: “Everybody’s trying to build a better mousetrap.” And I know he’s right, having seen all manner of dud products come and go.

(Still, I was crossing my fingers under the coffee table. May we see some of this realized in my lifetime! … or at least get me a darn OmniPod!!)

If you’d like to hear David talk, check him out on Janis Roszler’s radio show, Dec. 4 edition. His newsletter is an investment in itself at $550 for a year or $1,000 for two years. But well worth it if you’re a serious investor; for example, David recommended Amylin as “Stock of the Week” in early June ’05 at $15.35/share, and it’s more than doubled since.

1. Paul Anthony
    Paul Anthony January 13, 2006 at 3:23 pm | | Reply

First time checking out the site. I am diabetic and have been for 9 years. I am now 20.. Quck question, what is the stock quote for the company?

2. johnboy
    johnboy January 13, 2006 at 3:30 pm | | Reply

I would love to read that publication — not from an investing perspective, but from a diabetic one; but I would have to invest and recoup a profit in order to pay my credit card for the subscription!

3. Tyler Wolf
    Tyler Wolf January 15, 2006 at 10:42 am | | Reply

I am surprised myself that he would be able to actually get people to actually pay that kind of money for diabetes investment advice. I, too, would be curious to see how effective it is and see if his thoughts are in line with mine. Amylin was definitely a good investment at $15.35/share.

4. Roger Cherry
    Roger Cherry October 13, 2009 at 5:24 pm | | Reply

My company is in the final stages of development of a very unique professional online programme for diabetics. It is the first in the world and delivers critical information for the diabetic about there diet and with there blood sugar tests. I am looking for a company to joint venture with for the USA. If you know of anyone to discuss further I would be very interested.

5. davidbaer
    davidbaer February 5, 2010 at 2:43 am | | Reply

Affiliate Marketing is a performance based sales technique used by companies to expand their reach into the internet at low costs. This commission based program allows affiliate marketers to place ads on their websites or other advertising efforts such as email distribution in exchange for payment of a small commission when a sale results.

6. Tricia Thomson
    Tricia Thomson August 7, 2011 at 8:33 am | | Reply

Doesn’t it strike anyone but me as odd that anyone should look on this disease as yet another opportunity for profit? Making a living – fine. Making a killing on other people’s misfortunes – well that has become the American way.

My life depends on this technology and on these drugs. Most people’s do not. Am I really the person to take advantage of. How about some of the CEO’s who make more in a month than I will make in a lifetime? Sigh – no – not the American way at all. Catch the suckers with bad food, cigarettes, video games and other carcinogens – and laugh your way to the bank. Nice society, eh?