Turkey Day Post

Happy Thanksgiving! Yes, another major food-fest, which is particularly difficult for us PWDs, I know. But I love the slow four-day weekend, the once-a-year chance to eat sweet potatoes AND cranberries in one meal, and the fall colors. I love the fact that we unpack our old home movies and spend most of the weekend lying on the floor watching hours of my older children as babies crawling around and babbling into the camera. “I was sooo cute!… Mom, did they have turkey when you were little?” I guess you know you’re getting older when this is your idea of a good time.

(Not to mention that the hubby and I are also planning a one-night getaway in a coastal mission town, which gives a whole new meaning to the term “family time” :)

Anyhow, there are scores of online “tips for diabetics” on dealing with this holiday, so I won’t bore you with a long a list, just a few select links from some favorite sites:

Turkeywin* dLife tips for handling special occasions
* Dr. Bill Quick’s hints for holiday planning
* Robyn Webb’s “Talking Turkey” article on the ADA site

By the way, nothing helps keep you from stuffing yourself like the gluten-free thing. I can’t eat bread or pie anyway, so I stick to turkey and veggies. Works great. Wine is definitely my weakness. Cheers!

1. Nick
    Nick November 23, 2005 at 10:09 am | | Reply

PWD? Huh? Pretty White Divas?

2. The LIVabetes Glucose Goddess
    The LIVabetes Glucose Goddess November 23, 2005 at 5:04 pm | | Reply

Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving to all PWD’s!

Thanksgiving Thought for the day:

“We don’t need more to be thankful for…we just need to be more thankful!”

Glucose Goddess Thanksgiving day tip:
    “Back up the HUMALOG truck!!”

3. enrevanche
    enrevanche November 24, 2005 at 4:59 am | | Reply

Turkey is an inherently healthy food, and personally, I’m saving up my allotted carbs for the cornbread dressing. ;-)

4. Andrea H.
    Andrea H. November 24, 2005 at 5:02 am | | Reply

Happy Thanksgiving, Amy!

5. Nick
    Nick November 24, 2005 at 7:05 am | | Reply

Happy Thanksgiving!

6. Kerri.
    Kerri. November 24, 2005 at 5:29 pm | | Reply

Happy T Day, AmyT.

7. johnboy
    johnboy November 25, 2005 at 4:03 am | | Reply

Amy, Happy Thanksgiving!! Enjoy your getwaway!

8. Bob Fleming
    Bob Fleming November 26, 2005 at 1:45 pm | | Reply

Being a diabetic with a sweet tooth can be even more of a trial at holiday times. But with a bit of research, we can find lots of ways to eat our old favourite desserts from the days before we had diabetes. I’ve got some free dessert recipes on my site if you’d like to visit.

Bob

9. jen
    jen November 27, 2005 at 9:11 am | | Reply

I love your blog– what a fantastic blog you have here! I am covering you on The Diabetes Blog (http://www.thediabetesblog.com)– thanks for the linky love! And I am going to make sure that we start a links section and put you on it front and center. But in the meantime, you will be getting tons of linky love in our posts– we are going to highlight you as a terrific resource!

10. AmyT
    AmyT November 27, 2005 at 9:33 am | | Reply

Thank you, Jen. I am so glad to see some life back in The Diabetes Blog. (I was always in close touch with Paul Chaney back then).

Send me an email, so we D-bloggers can get in touch with your new team, ay?