OmniPoding

Over the weekend I had a chance to meet with Insulet Corp. execs Jeff Smith and Rob Campbell (everyone’s in town, remember?)

We had a long talk about the functionality of their exciting new OmniPod tubeless pump and its current market status. The deal is that the OmniPod is — theoretically — available to patients now, but the company is still building out the infrastructure to actually support users around the country. Unlike other gadgets that can be shipped all over the world immediately, lives depend on medical devices. Local sales offices and trained educators are an absolute MUST before patients hook themselves up to a life-sustaining device. So we West-Coasters will just have to wait a while… *sigh*

Meanwhile, the enthusiastic execs talked about the rash of excitement around this product and how their existing customers, mostly located near the company’s HQ in Massachusetts, are raving. There’s even a man with just one functioning arm who can now, for the first time ever, change his own infusion set and control his insulin “pump” with his one good hand. He used to have to schlep to his CDE’s office every 3 days to have them do it — which meant he could never travel or be on his own for any length of time. Imagine his delight with this new system!

Product_equation_2 Moveit_1

Insulet Technology Manager Rob Campbell is a veteran Type 1 himself who’s been on the OmniPod for about 6 months. He admits that he’s biased, but everything he told me about wearing it confirmed my conviction that this one’s a real life-changer for patients open to something new.

And here’s the cool thing: I even got a chance to test it! Keep in mind that my biggest personal barrier to pump therapy is an aversion to the idea of having a boxy unit hanging off my body via a bunch of plastic tubing. With small kids and a very active lifestyle, I just KNOW the tube would be getting pulled and caught left and right. No, thanks.

The OmiPod is so different, in fact, that the company’s not even calling it a pump, but rather a “discreet, two-part… Insulin Management System.”

My first reaction on seeing it up close was that the Pod (insulin reservoir worn stuck to your skin) was bigger than I expected. It’s a bit larger than a plastic dental floss box, I suppose. But it’s a nice smooth design, and it even inserts itself. Sounds strange, I know, but this means that after using the adhesive to place the Pod on your bod, you just hit a series of commands on the controller unit and the Pod automatically sticks the teeny tiny plastic cannula into your skin with a quickly retracted needlestick. It was so easy! The scariest thing about it was the unfamiliar clicking noise. De nada.

I wore the Pod through our entire hour-long meeting, and got to practice pushing buttons on the wireless, handheld controller unit (distributing saline only for practice, of course). Just an hour, but it was quite comfortable — so much so that I nearly forgot I had it on.

Of course I was curious about life with a Pod: what about swimming, bathing, sleeping and sex? But Rob and Kelly have both assured me that none of these are problematic. You can wear the Pod through almost anything, even bathing, as long as the water’s not too hot (that will kill the insulin, not the unit).

I was, in short, duly impressed. The only frustrating outcome of this encounter was that I’m now more anxious than ever to get myself one of these things. Ever the impatient patient!

1. Kassie
    Kassie November 14, 2005 at 9:11 am | | Reply

That’s great! What’s Insulet saying about the cost of the individual pods? Their marketing claims their system compares to others, cost-wise, over 4 years, but I recently heard a pod cost rumor that showed them as more expensive.

Rob’s a great guy – he’s a Joslin Boy (which is almost as cool as being a Barton Girl)

2. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver November 14, 2005 at 11:55 am | | Reply

It’s interesting because I’m hearing opposite noise from existing pump users.

One major problem is that you can not just disconnect from the Omnipod like you can from a pump. Right now, if I want to take a shower without my pump, I suspend it, and put it on the counter. Same thing if I want to get in the hot tub. Once you have taken a pod off it is wasted.

I’ve also heard from people who have gotten pricing on the Omnipod and while the upfront cost is cheaper, the day to day cost is much higher.

FYI: Tubing has never been a problem for me, and I participate in dog agility with small dogs that climb all over me all the time. I’ve only gotten tangled up once and that was in the first few weeks of pump use.

3. Kassie
    Kassie November 14, 2005 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

yeah, that’s why I’m curious about the price of pods. Rumors are flying that they are as high as $39/pod, which would make for a more expensive protocol for sure.

Not a hot tubber, so that’s not an issue for me :)

4. AmyT
    AmyT November 14, 2005 at 3:05 pm | | Reply

Ladies: Insulet is not releasing cost information yet — not least because it is complex working with insurance providers to set actual patient costs.

But they do assure me that:

1) Start-up costs are significantly less than starting with a pump, as the PDM unit is priced at 15% of the cost of a pump ($5-6000).

and

2) Over a three- to four-year period, the cost of the PDM and Pods are approximately equal to the cost of the pump and disposable equipment (reservoir, tubing, infusion sets).

5. Nick
    Nick November 14, 2005 at 5:54 pm | | Reply

I have to agree with Kathleen Weaver. Tangling tubing is something you do once. Then you make sure you have tape and tape the dangling tubing to your body so you don’t make that mistake again. It’s so easy to disconnect and then reconnect from the pump (when taking a shower) that I don’t even suspend the insulin flow.

6. Erica
    Erica November 15, 2005 at 5:51 am | | Reply

Is it lumpy underneath clothing? Would it look strange if you wanted to move it to your arm or leg? And I’m sure hiding it in your bra is out ;-)

7. Bill Braithwaite
    Bill Braithwaite November 15, 2005 at 9:15 am | | Reply

interesting info as always Amy!

i was just on Flickr & a beautiful lady had a picture of herself waering a pump.

she said she had been using it for 3 years & was doing great.

i decided to type yer URL for her & clicked on it afterwards to come here fer a visit.

lo & behold U have this Insulet story.
    ;) )

i’ve used a Preci-Jet needless injector for years & think it is great.

i could never figure out why more people aren’t using it.

but when it was introduced they kinda failed to get the educators on board & also the doctors.

it is about $700 up front but u do not buy syringes & the insulin is injected in a fine spray which is absorbed by the body much quicker (tighter control) & doesn’t do the lumpy thingy.

i think it’s fantastic.
    ;) )

it was Sir Fredrick Bantings Birthday yesterday (one o the discovers of insulin)

so we should all raise a toast to him & have a slice of sugarless Birthday Cake!!

Cheers!! Billy ;) )

8. Kerri.
    Kerri. November 16, 2005 at 6:46 am | | Reply

I did injections for 17 1/2 years and have been pumping for about a year and a half. The Omnipod looks so compact and interesting, but I love disconnecting entirely for tennis, the gym, the beach, showering, and intimacy. As a young professional (almost choked on that phrase with laughter), I like being able to hide the pump vs seeing it under my A line skirts. At this point, I don’t want something permanently attached for the duration of it’s insertion. I also like knowing that if I mess up on the insertion, I’m only wasting an infusion set instead of the whole Pod.

Besides, without all those little pump caps (that cover the site while disconnected), what would my cats play with?

9. E.
    E. November 17, 2005 at 6:04 pm | | Reply

I was at Joslin today and saw the actual pod. It’s a little heavier than I thought. I have been excited about it but now am planning on holding off at least for a little while.
    I got a real hard sell from their regional guy last week that made me a little uncofortable. I contacted him. He didn’t really need to push he features on me (I wouldn’t have called him if I wasn’t interested). I just wanted answers to my questions.
    Oh well- we’ll see what happens.

10. Lois Kent
    Lois Kent November 22, 2005 at 8:22 pm | | Reply

I happily ran across your blog tonight and have been reading it for a couple of hours….had to stick my 2 cents in here.
    I’ve had Type 1 since 1972 (dx’d at age 25) and have been pumping for almost 5 years.
    Pumping is amazing—only after I started using a pump could I figure out why it was impossible to maintain the kind of decent control I wanted while on MDI—basals vary way to much to conform to any available intermediate or long acting insulin.
    While I welcome a new option in pumps, OmniPod has too many negatives for me to consider it. There are some problems with it that more conventional pumps don’t have.
    The biggest is (as previously mentioned) that you can’t disconnect without discarding the whole thing. If you use a hot tub frequently you’ll be wasting an awful lot of pods.
    If you use a small amount of insulin (I only use about 20 units/day) you’ll waste a lot of that too since you must fill the pod with a minimum amount of insulin (can’t remember if it’s 160 or 180 units) and must discard the rest when you change the pod. And you MUST change it every 72 hours—it shuts itself off after that!
    If you tend to lose or misplace things the OmniPod is not for you–if you lose the PDM you are unable to program your pump!!
    The no tubing concept is really nice, but not essential. Tubing can easily be tucked out of the way and into clothing. In almost 5 years of pumping, I’ve snagged my tubing twice–I can live with that.
    I commend Insulet for thinking out of the box and wish more companies would, but the Pod is not the answer for many of us.
    Lois

11. Bruce
    Bruce December 8, 2005 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

This is the pump for me. I want to at least try it. that’s the nice thing about the cheap upfront cost. I can try it and decide if its for me or if being tubed is.

I personal hate the tubing. The pump flops everywhere. And not being a woman I find it very hard to hide. I guess I could always put it in my underwear but how weird would boluses look?

As for disconnecting. I diconnect my pump but the infusion set is still there. I’d rather have 200 units sitting there and not have to worry about holding the pump in my teeth when I shower, or disconnecting it when I shower (my showers last at least 30 minutes and my BG goes up quicker in the morning then any other time.)

So for me I want the omnipod, I just have to wait for it to come to a city near me.

12. Gil
    Gil January 3, 2006 at 2:42 pm | | Reply

You only have to fill it with at least 50 U, which is not a lot for 3 days.
    I’ve worn it while playing soccer, running, working out at the gym, at the beach and during “other activities” with no problems.
    Nobody can notice it under a shirt (or on the inside of your thigh, under your shorts) because it’s only about the size of half of a kiwi.

13. Debbie
    Debbie March 18, 2006 at 3:43 pm | | Reply

Gil,
    How long have you been using the Omnipod? The rep for this area met with my endocrinologist and me this week. My endo was very impressed with the Omnipod. I’m very anxious to get it but waiting on my insurance to approve it. Did your insurance pay on it for you? Since you have been on it have you had any problems with it? I loved the size of the pods, the size of the PDM, and how easy it was to see and use. I would appreciate reading your positives and negatives about it and how much daily insulin you use. I’m insulin sensitive so 50 u for three days would do it for me most likely. Appreciate any add’l info you care to give since being an Omnipod user.

14. Melanie
    Melanie April 19, 2006 at 12:22 pm | | Reply

I’ve been reading all of your comments on the omnipod, and I have to say that for me it has changed my life. I have been diabetic for 22 years and tried the pump around 7 years ago. I hated everything about it. I am a very active person and hated all the tubes attached to me, I found it uncomfortable to sleep at night and the pump was very akward to wear under my clothes. I wore it for a few months, but hated it so much that I went back to injections.I swore I would never get another pump again until my doctor told me about the omnipod. I have now been on it for about 2 months and I love everything about it. It fits under my cloths perfectly, I can swim and shower with it on and most importantly my blood sugars have never been this good. This device it wonderful and so easy to use. I strongly recommend to all of you who are thinking about getting a pump to try the omnipod,I doubt you will be disappointed with it.

15. Stacy
    Stacy April 20, 2006 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

Hi…I have had diabetes for about a year and my doctor has recently recommended the pump I was looking into the Omnipod and I seem to like it however i cannot seem to find how close the pdm must be to the actual pod in order to work. this is my only concern so if anyone could help me out that would be great….thank you

16. Melanie
    Melanie April 21, 2006 at 11:47 am | | Reply

Hi Stacy, to answer your question the pdm has to be within a foot or two of the pod, and if for some reason you are out of range you just need to wave the pdm in front of the pod and it will continue to work. You only need the pdm to be near the pod when you are giving yourself insulin boluses and changing the the pod out. Other than that you can leave the pdm in your purse or wherever you would normally keep your blood sugar meter.I hope this helps a little and good luck.

17. Debbie
    Debbie April 21, 2006 at 4:50 pm | | Reply

Thanks Melanie for your comments on using the Omnipod. My endocrinologist was very impressed with it when we met with the Insulet rep for this area. I was hoping I would be on it by now but my insurance, Carelink, has rejected it. My endo appealed and it was rejected a second time. I’ve appealed the first and second rejection and am waiting to hear if they will approve it or reject it a 3rd time. Insulet is outside of my network of providers so that was one reason for rejecting it even though Insulet offered a discounted fee for the PDM and the pods. The second reason for the rejection was my last A1C was less than 8%, it was 7.8. My endo wants it below 7 but I guess the insurance thinks they know more about diabetes than an endocrinologist. Wish me luck, I love the Omnipod. I am like you, do not like the idea of dealing with the tubing of a regular pump.

18. Melanie
    Melanie April 22, 2006 at 8:04 am | | Reply

Hi Debbie, I know exactly where you are comming from with the insurance issues. My insurance rejected it initially aswell, but I was lucky enough to get in contact with a women named Stacy from omnipod who was able to make a deal with the insurance company and get there contract. I strongly urge you to give Stacy a call she was extermely helpful and got things going much quicker than I had expected. If you want to call her her number is (757)549-1602, I’m sure she will be able to help you. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

19. Debbie
    Debbie April 22, 2006 at 4:48 pm | | Reply

Melanie, thanks for name and phone number of a person at Insulet. I’ve been working with an insurance rep by the name of Leger. She has been very helpful but it was still rejected twice. I checked my insurance website this morning and the authorization has changed from rejected to approved. In fact a certified letter came from my insurance today but I wasn’t home to sign for it. So, it looks like I may be getting the Omnipod very soon, yippee. I have a few other questions for you, where do you wear your pods, how much insulin do you use in each pod? I am insulin sensitive and exercise 5 days a week so I only use about 12-15 units a day spread between Lantus and Novalog. Once your insurance approved it for you how long did it take for you to receive it in the mail? Also, do you know how much your insurance paid for it? I know Insulet offered my insurance a discount but I don’t know how much the discount is on it. I have to pay 50% of the cost so I’m curious as to how much I’ll be paying. Also I have to pay 50% on monthly pods. I appreciate your time in answering my questions. If I have questions once I’m on it would you mind helping me out?

20. Melanie
    Melanie April 23, 2006 at 9:40 am | | Reply

Hi Debbie, I’m glad to hear that everything has worked out for you, I’m sure you will love the omnipod. To answer your questions I got my whole kit about a week after my insurance approved it. Someone from the company should be calling you in the next day or so to confirm your addres and they usually send it out within the next day or two. I usually wear my pods on my stomach, I know you can also wear them on the back of your arms, your thighs,and your butt. I have been diabetic for 22 years and took the majority of my shots in my arms which caused me to get insulin packs in them so the doctor recommended I start using the pods on ares that I havent taken my shots in. I presonally really like it on my stomach. I put about 150 units in my pod, I usually dont use it all, but I’d rather have too much insulin in it than not enough. When you fill your pods you have to fill it with atleast 50 units,but your doc will advise you in how much you should put in it.I use humalog insilin which is what I have been on for a while, but I actually just found out from my doc that novolog seems to work a little better so I think I am going to switch to that. My husband is in the military so my insurance covers all of the costs, we are now in the process of getting out so I am curious to see how much my new insurance will cover. I know that each individual pod costs $30 dollars, and most poeple wear ecah pod for 3 days, so for a 30 day supply you will probabally be paying around $150 for the pods. The company ships you a 3 month supply at a time so you will probally be paying $450 every 3 months. I think that the pdm costs around $800 dollars, so depending on how much of a discount your insurance company got will determine you much you will pay. The pdm is really amazing it does everything for you, Once you set up your ratios with your doc you will really be suprised at how user friendly everything is. Good luck with everything and if you have any more questions feel free to ask. If you want you can e-mail me at melp1118@comcast.net.
    Melanie

21. Debbie
    Debbie April 23, 2006 at 12:09 pm | | Reply

Melanie, I appreciate your time in answering all my questions. I’ve only been a diabetic for 1 yr and am already tired of the 4-5 shots a day. How you did it for 22 years is beyond me. I’m also looking forward to getting my A1C below 7%. I’ve added your email address to my list of contacts. I will be working with a CDE when I get my Omnipod but sometimes it’s better asking someone already using a pump, especially with this one being fairly new. My email is snowhite3754@hotmail.com. Please keep me posted from time to time on how you are doing with the Omnipod.
    Debbie

22. Avram
    Avram July 6, 2006 at 6:52 pm | | Reply

Hi — I am new to the omni pod. First day today. I am curious can anyone chat with me about how they deal with it with other people? (intimate relationships)? Do they take it off and burn one? Also what about the tub? Shower? I need it because I get morning highs. And while I am in control the rest of the day the day never starts well. Anyway…any aid would be great. Best, avram

23. lmariop
    lmariop July 25, 2006 at 7:40 pm | | Reply

I kept it on while intimate, in the shower, at a pond and at the beach. I didn’t completely submerge it at the pond or beach but it definately got wet. For the first time i woke up this morning in control as a matter of fact. The whole day was awesome.

I am actually curious as to which sites have proven to be the best. I have been rotating sides-of-stomach so far but I am tempted to try the back of the arm or the lower back/upper buttock area just below the beltline.

24. Debbie
    Debbie August 2, 2006 at 5:48 pm | | Reply

I have kept it on while intimate and also while taking a bath. The pods have stayed on thru water and being intimate. I’ve rotated the pods above and below waist, both sides of stomach, and on the back of my arm one time. I will probably wear it on the back of my arm more often once winter sets in and long sleeves. It didn’t give me any problem wearing it there but with short or sleeveless tops it was more noticeable.

25. Scott
    Scott August 5, 2006 at 10:22 am | | Reply

Quoted from Debbie

“I know that each individual pod costs $30 dollars, and most poeple wear ecah pod for 3 days, so for a 30 day supply you will probabally be paying around $150 for the pods.”

I don’t know but my math says I’ll be paying $300 month for the pods

26. debbie
    debbie August 12, 2006 at 5:58 pm | | Reply

Scott,
    That was Melanie’s quote, not mine. The pods run $300 a month but my insurance negotiated with Omnipod for a lessor fee on the PDM and on the pods. The negotiated price for the PDM and 4mos of pods came to $1680.

27. Karen C
    Karen C August 21, 2006 at 10:29 am | | Reply

I was just approved last week for my Omnipod. I am so excited! I have been over and over everything for months waiting for my insurance to approve it. I too worked with a lady named Leger at Insulet. She was not terribly helpful to me (she never returned my calls and only left messages on my home machine when I asked her to call me at work; in essence, we have never spoken to one another!); she got the job done so I really don’t care.

28. John
    John August 30, 2006 at 7:13 pm | | Reply

I have been using the Omnipod for about 3 months and I think it will really help me get better control. I have had two problems. The first is unexplained Pod alarms – sometimes right out of the blue. Insulet customer service has been good – they want the pad pod back to figure out what went on and send a replacement free of charge. The biger problem is the pod coming loose. I use a barrier (IV 3000) so the adhesive is not that big a problem, it is more the cannula coming out – usually in the middle of the night. It happened again this morning and it takes me 1/2 day to get regular BG’s. I wear the pod on my stomach and have not tried other areas. What do the rest of y’all do? Hoping to hear from some of you. John

29. Jen
    Jen October 10, 2006 at 9:01 pm | | Reply

hi-

newly put on the omnipod as of next week….cant wait – post was great b/c now I am going to call them to battle my 30% that i have to cover including my deductable….seems they play a mean numbers game especially for us out of network people – so i am prepared for battle now….think i might even threaten to send it back. Its a great option and I believe I am blesses to be on t he East Coast and have access to it – but I wont be a sucker for the cost, when everyday with this disease has been a struggle (including financially) taking MII for the past 31 years….just some of us learn to live with it with a smile =0)

30. Donnie
    Donnie October 24, 2006 at 12:23 pm | | Reply

I have never been on a pump and have had Type 1 diabetes for 32 years. My doctor thinks it is time. I have been approved for the pod out-of-network. I need some advice on whether to start out first with the omnipod or try the traditional pumps first?

31. Jay
    Jay November 1, 2006 at 6:52 pm | | Reply

I have been on the omnipod system since May and its my first pump. I have to say it really is pretty nice. I did have some initial problems with faulty pods and placement locations. It just didnt work on my stomach area. My thighs have been the place for me. It will leave a mark though after you take it off and change a pod. Also, I think they could make some real nice enhancements to the product. The food database is real weak and there is no way to synch the PDM to your PC yet. These are things they should be working on.
    I highly recommend this product and the company has been very good to deal with so far since I had some problems at first. any questions, email me
    jaykane_99@yahoo.com

32. Gary Fabbri
    Gary Fabbri November 10, 2006 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

I have been a diabetic for over 38 years. I saw the pod and I would love to try one if possibile. The one problem is I live in PHX ARIZ and they tell me there isn’t a distribitor in this area. I was s sales rep for 28 years selling to research and I am a med tech. If I could be of assistiance for the west coast I would in a minute.

33. Judith
    Judith November 18, 2006 at 12:49 pm | | Reply

Great to know about this OmniPod…What about kids (school age) with DM 1 – is it recommendable? I have thought about this for my daughter. We are just using conventional injections since her diagnosis for a year.

34. Hector Perez
    Hector Perez January 3, 2007 at 10:50 am | | Reply

My son (11 years old) was dx’d two years ago (Type 1) and has done well with DMI (A1C below 7%). Recently it has become a little more difficult to control (now experiencing the dawn effect) and we are considering the OmniPod for him. Anyone using it on young children? I would love to hear your experience. We live in Florida and have a pool which he uses regularly for exercise. Can the OmniPod stay submerged for a prolonged period of time?

35. Ann
    Ann January 6, 2007 at 2:16 am | | Reply

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 9 months ago and she is 20 months old. We are seriously considering a pump to lower her a1C. Has anyone had experience with this pump or any pump at such a young age?

36. Kirsten
    Kirsten January 10, 2007 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

We have been using the Omnipod system for my 3 yo son for about 7 months (starting at age 2.5). We love it! I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone younger than age 2. It’s just physically too large.

37. John
    John January 13, 2007 at 9:39 pm | | Reply

For those of you who have been in touch with people from Insulet, has anyone heard about future possibilities of being able to sync the pdm with a pc? This is one attractive feature that many of the other pumps have, and it would be great if the Omnipod could have this feature in the future. Also, has anyone had success with Blue Cross & Blue Shield insurance with the Omnipod? I would appreciate any feedback.

38. Kisha
    Kisha January 18, 2007 at 11:50 am | | Reply

I’ve been an omnipod user for about 9 months and love it (this is my first pump though, have had Type 1 for 15 years). My A1C went down to 5.9 in the first three months (I’m usually in the 6.5 range). I participated in an Insulet focus group last September and the question was asked about the PC software. The reply at that time was “we’re working on it”. I was under BlueCross/BlueShield and they covered all but ~$360 for the initial shipment, which included a three month supply of pods and the PDM. My company plan covers “mail order prescriptions” at $20.00 for a three month supply. So the “pods” for me are $20 for each shipment going forward. Your specific plan may differ. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions … lnpowell@alum.mit.edu

39. Ed Wilkinson
    Ed Wilkinson January 20, 2007 at 4:36 am | | Reply

Been having trouble with my pods. I have gone through about 5 pods in 5 days. I had an occlusion early this morning. I changed it out and got another pod error message. I went to a pump to end daily injections. My old pump had its problems, but I’m begining to wonder if the omnipod is all its cracked up to be.

40. lidar
    lidar January 22, 2007 at 5:30 am | | Reply

I was wondering, how do you clean the site before placing the pod? Such a large “infusion set” probably makes it diffcult for the skin to breath. Don’t you Omnipod users suffer from site infections?

41. Janet
    Janet February 15, 2007 at 7:54 am | | Reply

My 11 year old daughter is diabetic. She has seen the Omnipod and decided that that is what she wants. I am worried that a tween soon to be teen will ultimately be disappointed with the Omnipod. I would love to hear from someone with a tween or teen that has an Omnipod to get their opinion.

42. Holly
    Holly February 16, 2007 at 10:44 pm | | Reply

I am testing an Omnipod provided to me by my doctor in Seattle…I wanted to make sure it was right before I invested. It is amazing technology! While I am a little older than a teen (I’m 26), I have been diabetic for 21 years…I tried to go on a regular wired pump when I was 20, and I could not mentally handle being wired to something every day. Not to mention trying to find a place to carry around the pager-sized device in a pocket…
    If you are looking at pumps for a teenager (especially girls!), I would go with the Omnipod…it is much less discreet than the regular pumps. Also, it does allow much tighter sugar controls than shots do…and shots get skipped often when you are a teenager and don’t want to look “different” from those around you. The Omnipod allows you to quicky and discreetly take your insulin, and no one needs to know!
    Also, for those who asked earlier, the Omnipod is safe in water for 30 minutes up to a depth of 8 feet, according to the manual.

43. Anne
    Anne February 17, 2007 at 8:31 am | | Reply

My 15 year old son has been on the OmniPod since early December. He chose it because it was tubeless, waterproof and inconspicuous. He does not want to be explaining his pump or diabetes to everyone he meets. He went to an overnight party at his school and even swam with no “hassle”. He/we are very happy with it and have found the Insulet people all very nice to deal with whenever we have called with questions/concerns.

44. Sarah
    Sarah February 24, 2007 at 2:49 pm | | Reply

Hi all! I’ve had diabetes type one for almot 5 years now, and injections had always been my downfall. The meal time shots wern’t the problem , it was the long acting basal that I’d constantly forget at night, then suffer for it the next morning. The omnipod is seriously the coolest thing I have ever encountered. One of the insulet reps set me up today, and I absolutely love it. It is honestly fool proof. You basically take your blood sugar reading, with the PDM, then it asks if you are going to eat or not. If yes, you select the ammount of carbs, then it calculates everything for you! It is so awesome, and I cannot wait to get off saline and work in the insulin. It can be tricky when starting though. All of the saline protocals make you think its going to actually work…but you still have to take injections!…I made that mistake earlier today :-P

45. Carisa
    Carisa February 27, 2007 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

I have been on the Omnipod since November, and I think it is great. I have noticed that pump users who have used a traditional pump before seem turned off to the idea of the Omnipod, but I really don’t get it. The main complaints they seem to have is that you can’t disconnect…but seriously, unless you use a hot tub every day, you don’t HAVE to disconnect (even during my way too long showers!)

I have had 3 pod failures, but they all happened right when I was changing the pod, so no lasting damage. Twice the pod didn’t insert itself, so I had to take it off and start over. Once the pod didn’t prime correctly (no drippy insulin all over the place before I inserted it…I should have known that was what was wrong, and next time I will, and change the pod right away instead of waiting for the occlution alarm.) In any case, Insulet replaced all three faulty pods. The only time I ever tried a traditional infusion set, it flubbed up on insertion too, so I don’t think that should concern anyone who is thinking about a pump and is wary of Omnipod…traditional pumps seem to have just as many flubbs as the pods do (maybe more?)

The other complaint is that it is too big or will be in the way…I honestly sometimes forget I have it on, or which side of my abdomen I have it on. As soon as I can get my husband to stop saying “oops, sorry” every time he brushes against it, it will officially have little to no impact on my intimate life. :-) When I first got the pod, my sister sat beside me for half an hour assuming that I must be wearing it on my other side, because she couldn’t see it and was looking for it, but she was looking right at it the whole time, and never noticed it. I think if I had to give up my Omnipod, I would go back to injections before I would get all tubed up. I hate the idea of having a little plastic box shoved in my bra, and I would probably drop the darned thing in the toilet one day, and where would that leave me?

All I want now is the ability to download the data to my PC, and they told me it was in the final testing phases when I asked them about it last month, so hopefully any day now.

46. joy
    joy March 1, 2007 at 4:20 pm | | Reply

okay I’m type 1 for 24 years I’ve never had a pump but have decided to give it try. the omnipump looks the least invasive and it’s covered by my insurance my question is going through the hoops of any knid of pump worth the effort. I mean Ive been shooting up since I was 10 it’s a part of my life it’s what I do whats so great about a pump?

47. David
    David March 8, 2007 at 7:26 pm | | Reply

I am considering going on a pump for the first time and the OmniPod looks like the best solution. The only drawback that I have is that I take a lot of insulin. My doc says that I would have to change pods every day since I would use up the 200 units in a day. I don’t believe you can refill it so I may not be able to use this great technology. Has anyone seen their insulin usage go down since the pump (OmniPod or any other pump) provides better BG control? thanks.

48. Staci
    Staci March 13, 2007 at 7:24 am | | Reply

We’re trying to get the ball rolling for the Omnipod for my 10 yr. old who will go on a pump of SOME kind in Oct. of ’07 – does anyone have any experience with SIHO insurance & the Omnipod? Feel free to email me at love4holiness@yahoo.com – thanks so much!

49. Hristina
    Hristina April 25, 2007 at 6:50 am | | Reply

Hello there. I was wondering if any of you can contact the Insulet at ask them if they provide OmniPod out of the USA. Actually I’m from Bulgaria, a tiny country on the Black Sea Coast. If anyone can help with this issue can write me on my email tini_hrisi@abv.bg
    p.s.- i wrote an email to insulet itself but they didnt answer me.

50. John
    John April 30, 2007 at 5:14 pm | | Reply

Hi, I have a 10 year old son who is about to go on the pump. I am looking for comments on the omnipod system. Would it be good for him and such. Please e-mail me at fpcdude@hotmail.com