1. gina
    gina October 26, 2005 at 9:44 am | | Reply

Omg that is crazy, lets all pull out our cheech and chong sized blunts lol

1. Megan
      Megan December 9, 2011 at 8:19 am | | Reply

I understand that this is pretty hard to imagine for most of us, but it is true. Patients have been helping their diabetes using cannabis. Why? Because of the internal system that you and I have called the “Endocannabinoid System” or ECS. The ECS is a system of receptors in the human body that accept cannabinoids (active ingredients in cannabis or marijuana). The ECS is a vital body system that major Pharma would rather not accept and publicize because only cannabinoids can modify this system and help diabetics along with countless other patients including pain, spasms, glaucoma, PTSD, MS, cancer and more. Please see medicalcannabis.com and/or “What if cannnabis cures cancer?” by Len Richmond.

2. JustLinda
    JustLinda October 26, 2005 at 9:51 am | | Reply

(new to your blog, wife of t-1 diabetic)

But what about getting the MUNCHIES? Wouldn’t all the benefits be blown away if said diabetic eats a whole box of Ho-Hos? :)

Kidding, of course… interesting stuff. Really.

1. Pete
      Pete February 22, 2013 at 10:12 am | | Reply

Munch on celery!

3. Kirk
    Kirk October 26, 2005 at 1:31 pm | | Reply

Now I know why I am still alive and healthy. Damn all those years of being stoned helped my BS.

4. Walton Lee
    Walton Lee October 26, 2005 at 6:07 pm | | Reply

Why tangle with the law? Will there be any side-effect on taking cannibis?

As a type II diabetic, I am drinking bitter melon tea to control my diabetes. Collecting some articles, I invite other type II diabetics to learn more about that magic vegetable.

There are many alternative remedies. Should we consider their legality, availibility, costs, possible side-effects and various related issues before we even decide to choose one.

5. AmyT
    AmyT October 27, 2005 at 6:54 am | | Reply

Welcome, JustLinda! Great input. Ho-hos, geez — a faint memory.

Alternative remedies, yes. I’m getting to those very soon :)

6. triticale
    triticale October 30, 2005 at 1:51 pm | | Reply

Here’s some more for that body of anecdotal evidence. My ex-daughter-in-law, who has Type I diabetes, found that her recreational use was helping her to control her blood sugar. My wee wifey, whose Type II is managed without insulin, found that it worked also for her, but doesn’t enjoy it enough to continue use.

7. Business of Life™
    Business of Life™ November 9, 2005 at 4:05 pm | | Reply

Health Round-Up

Statin drugs may be more important for older patients as study shows new role for HDL ‘Good” Cholesterol Seeking clues as to why dieters so often fail and binge-eat instead, scientists studied rats to learn that stress plus tempting treats triggers…

8. Business of Life™
    Business of Life™ November 9, 2005 at 4:54 pm | | Reply

Health Round-Up

9. cannabetes
    cannabetes January 5, 2007 at 2:59 am | | Reply

I have smoked cannabis for four years my mum is a diabetic and my gran and grandad which means i am likely to get it but they have all had it since they were kids about my age they were diagnosed so could it be the cannabis that is preventing or covering it up????????????

10. Joel
    Joel April 17, 2007 at 7:26 pm | | Reply

I have been smoking cannibas for well over 6 years and have benefited from its benefits. My only problem is my parents are totally against it. They have been diagnosed with having diabetes and they are taking some type of pill. I need a way to explain to them that marijuana is not what they say it is and that it has many benefits. Why else would Jesus Christ put this plant (weed) on this planets. It’s a wonder drug.

11. corey
    corey August 16, 2007 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

This is great, Once i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, i stopped drinking alcohol and started smoking weed daily (not recommended.. ha) . I have to say, I have not used insulin in over a year and my AC-1 tests have been extraordinary – I am 21yr old male.

12. andrew
    andrew September 1, 2007 at 9:24 pm | | Reply

i am a 27 year old type 1 diabetic i was diagnosed when i was 5…. i have found cannabis has most certainly helped me….. pain is gone circualation much better and no more pains in the feet and hands blood counts have finally began to lower (i have hyperglycemia “consistant high blood glucose” )

13. website promotion
    website promotion October 11, 2007 at 11:08 pm | | Reply

This is definitley factual, I am a 25 year old type 1 diabetic from the age of 10 and a half. For the past 14 years I have used marijuana, for the past ten years i have used marijuana on a dialy basis, for the past 7 years I have used marijuana on a 24 hour basis aside from sleep, strictly out of a vaporizer with an iced bong which virtually gives no carbon deposits such as tar emmisions from normal smoking. With that said I currently hold a PGA card, and own 3 successful web based companies, “which allow me to not stress my body and to exercise at my leisure, as well as wake up when my body is ready. not to create extra anxiety which causes a jump in blood glucose. I do not want to sound self absorbed by voicing my accompishments, I just want to notify people out there or the parents of diabetic children that it is possible to do anything, I have A1C test of 6.2 and I have not tested by blood glucose in over 8 years. My secrets to 20/20 vision, a stable mindset, and 8% bodyfat is “peace of mind, financial freedom, tons of exercise, healthy diet but i still cheat for sure, and last but not least, a large supply of very good marijuana.

14. Rosey
    Rosey November 4, 2007 at 4:30 am | | Reply

I have been suffering from type 2 Diabietes since the age of 11. At the age of 17 I started smoking cannabis and since I have recieved a miraculous improvement to my life. The constant aches and pains and tiredness are no longer and my A1C are extremely satisfactory to my doctor. I have gone from refusing to be put onto insulin, (because of the side effects involved and having seen countless members of my family go through this) to almost leading a normal life without the need to take medication. I have tested and recorded my blood sugar level with just taking my usual medication, just taking cannabis and the two combined. I found Cannabis by far is the easiest method and most effective. Combined my blood sugars fell dangerously low (3.2mmol) and very unstable. Munchies are a short term side effect which subsides after your body adapts from frequent use. If you are not using a vapouriser I recommend transparent Rizla made from apple skin. Being able to use cannabis in this way was a great shock, but although I have thought about quiting I cant bring myself to because of the difference it has made to my life, and no doctor has been able to offer me a better alternative.

15. scott
    scott November 30, 2007 at 3:39 am | | Reply

why not legalise then
    ive been doing it for a short time daily.

I havnt been to clicnic yet, i was going to qwit but after i seen all this it seems a smart idea to continue but not daily…

16. P.o.t. for the G.O.P.
    P.o.t. for the G.O.P. February 3, 2008 at 5:04 pm | | Reply

having the munchies from pot use is a sign that it does affect blood sugar in n.i.d.d.m patients My M.D. prefers its use instead of drugstore
    remedies for peripheral symptoms

17. greg
    greg February 15, 2008 at 2:03 am | | Reply

So….how do we get the finacial freedom!!!!

18. CALpumper
    CALpumper February 15, 2008 at 11:14 am | | Reply

Amy is this post related to something you wrote last year? A lot of comments from 2007.

It is an interesting topic among patients and doctors, all over the world, for all kinds of medical therapy.

In my experience, having Type 1 for 23 years, cannabis helped calm my nerves, ease my mind (help with the constant racing thoughts that comes with managing this disease) and helped with sleep. When I was younger the munchies were an issue. As I grew up I learned how to control my daily cravings and substitute foods to avoid too many carbs or sweets (like eating a salad at the end of a meal helped me Not crave sweets).

If it works, work it.
    It will affect each person differently. It would be nice if the government would be more lenient on the medical field to explore the benefits and help create a regiment for those that want to use it for whatever aliment.

Time to time it is nice to just relax, heck, I try on my own but for me, a little extra somethin’ helps sometimes.

19. Sunny
    Sunny May 13, 2008 at 7:09 pm | | Reply

I love positive input! I look forward to the day when I can walk down my own rows of what George Washington called “Blossoming Hemp,” and enjoy the aroma, the view and the experience. It is a fact (“The Emperor Wears No Clothes” by Jack Herer) that G.W. and T.J. traded smoking mixtures. I’ve heard that the only other time cannabis was illegal was during the Spanish Inquisition. Does that tell us something about how far away from the U.S. Constitution we really are?

20. CannabisActivist
    CannabisActivist June 2, 2008 at 12:36 pm | | Reply

There is no reason for this prohibition. Cannabis has so many medical benefits not just Diabetes with almost 0 side effects(except maybe being stoned). Cannabis is illegal NOT because it is a harmful substance or a gateway drug. I know many medical patients including myself and don’t know one of them who has used any other drugs due to the fact that they wanted to get “Higher”. It actually in my honest opinion keeps people from doing harmful drugs. The reason Cannabis is illegal is the fact that the FDA could not patent it as it is a plant. It is also so easy to cultivate yourself that big pharm would make little or no money. There are a lot religious factors behind the prohibition as well. Cannabis has been known to CURE yes CURE cancer, cut down on harmful medications and make a better life for AIDS patients, people with physical pain and people with ADD/ADHD. Cannabis has been use for thousands of years why now is it illegal to get to medication that works and is very affordable? Here are a few links to some great videos by fellow mmj patients. FOR ANYONE BATTLING CANCER PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjhT9282-Tw&feature=related. Fight for what you believe in. Fight for the right to use what works. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

21. Bill Fields
    Bill Fields June 19, 2008 at 11:13 am | | Reply

Why is it that everywhere I look, regarding marijuana, I find these wonderful anecdotes about how much it has helped with whatever ailed them? Only people who believe everything the government tells them believe that pot is Evil! I believe that one of the commentors was right….the big pharms have been waiting for the “baby boomers” to show up with their ailments and need their pills to survive. I’ve smoked for 38 years, starting at age 21, and I honestly believe that the peace of mind and feeling of well being has kept me young! I was a computer consultant for 40 years (high stress) and I developed no stress twitches and my hair is still brown.
    It is a sad commentary, but do not believe everything the government tells you or you will believe political correctness is not a form of control.
    I’m becoming an “In your face” activist, but polite, to try and end this madness.
    A little freedom can prevent crime…and in this case, it applies.
    I can be reached at mrwilliejax@bellsouth.net

22. geri
    geri September 25, 2008 at 10:40 am | | Reply

i have been diagonse with diabetes when i was 9 now i am 16 and i have smoking it for like 6 months now or 8 but i seen that when i am smoking i dont feel any pain but when i dnt smoke it i am having pains in my smoach and arms nd other stuff like that but i thik it is helping meeh a lot and now i think i am doing better with my diabetes it lower my sugar but the only bad thing i think it is that i get the muchies nd sleeply alot i wonder is there a type of marijunana that is good or bad or are they all the same thing……

23. Diabetes Mine - the all things diabetes blog » Blog Archive » SEO Secrets Revealed

[...] medical benefits of marijuana for diabetes (just once) [...]

24. dee
    dee October 14, 2008 at 1:41 am | | Reply

I wonder just how much money would be saved by American taxpayers if marijuana was legalized. Our citizens are arrested every day for possession of not a drug, but a God-given herb (many times in the privacy of their own home) that is not harmful to them or others (unless of course they are arrested).

When these unlucky individuals are convicted, we taxpayers foot the bill for all the expenses incurred while they are living in jail. Many mothers are forced to go on welfare (costs us too) because their husbands are no longer able to provide for their families. The cases take up valuable court time that could be used instead for serious crimes. Huge amounts of money are paid by taxpayers to build bigger and bigger prisons to house these individuals. Sadly, this takes away fathers and mothers from their children, ruins their lives, and prevents them from working and paying taxes (which also costs we taxpayers). Then, when they do get out of jail, they can’t find a decent job because they served time. There are straight-A students that get caught many times because they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and go to jail for a mere recreational joint. Their lives are then ruined forever.

It’s legal in other countries–why not ours? What has happened to our Constitutional rights of privacy, freedom to pursue happiness, and just general plain old freedom for which America prides itself? Our government (Nixon) totally ignored the results of the study/report our government paid big bucks for that proved marijuana was NOT harmful or addictive. I wonder how many people know that. So many lies were told by our government to convince people marijuana was harmful. They referred to it as “dope.” It was simply a ploy to rid America of Mexicans that has backfired and ruined so many American lives and a money maker for lawyers and law enforcement. Very sad.

I certainly think heroin, crack, and meth, etc. (which are drugs) should be illegal because they are harmful. But it’s way past time that some brave governmental officials stood up and actually spoke the truth about marijuana and did something to change the law before more American lives are ruined.

Cancer patients who are constantly nauseous, people with AIDS, people in pain, stressed-out people trying to make it, and now I read about diabetics are not able to improve their well-being and health because they are afraid of taking the chance of being arrested. How can something like growing an herb in your own backyard that can improve ones condition and provide a little happiness be illegal? It’s ridiculous!

I’ve heard of no one that has ever overdosed on smoking pot, unlike alcohol. Strange that alcohol is legal and that there are so many drug commercials constantly viewed on television encouraging the usage of drugs. Americans are taking so many prescriptions that they don’t even know which ones are causing their side effects, not to mention the harm that is done due to the excessiveness. We use to say “just say no to drugs.” Now it’s seems like the message is that if you don’t take drugs, you’ll die; and if you smoke pot, you’ll go to jail. Sigh…

In my opinion, we need to get back to nature and utilize more what is natural and created by God, not just pharmacists, and also appropriately honor what our Constitution stands for instead of the thoughts and beliefs of some very-wrong governmental officials who made some very bad judgmental calls.

25. Katia
    Katia October 21, 2008 at 10:57 pm | | Reply

Hi
    I have had hypoglycemia for a decade, and today have been told by my doctor that he thinks I may have type 2 diabetes (blood tests tomorrow). I have read a lot of people saying that marijuana use has helped lower their blood sugar. Should I not smoke it since my blood sugar is already low? I am a some evenings/weekends smoker (mainly as a way to relax as I’m a highly strung person).
    Anyone with low blood sugar (Dr thinks it may be insulin resistant type 2) found marijuana has assisted, or am I walking a dangerous line here?

26. hijoe
    hijoe November 5, 2008 at 9:53 am | | Reply

I was smokng cannabis since I was 14 hated it. Smoked again when I was sixteen sort of accepted it. I have a mild form of dyslexia, getting p and b mixed up. Did not do that well in o levels. Did not give up on education and eventually got into University. That when I gave up cannabis completely. I was so scared of failing and wanted, to get with the program. However I got type 1 Diabetes during the 3 term. I run my own business and don’t mix well with shit heads and don’t suffer fools gladly. Still using cannabis and find it helps with my control.

27. sam
    sam November 5, 2008 at 7:57 pm | | Reply

im 15 and i have been smoking cannabis on and off for the last year and a half. i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when i was 13 and about 6 months later is when i started using cannabis. i didnt know its medical benefits at first i was just using it recreationally but i noticed how it normally kept my BS stable. about a year ago my mom found out i was doing it and was extremely mad. this is when i really started looking into its medical benefits. what i found was very surprising obviously, since i still had the lies and propaganda (that i gradually found to be untrue) in my head. there was about a 3-4 month period when i smoked cannabis on a daily basis after being caught again. this period was probably when my diabetes was more under control than ever. that means my BS and even muscle spasms. anyone with diabetes can imagine how good it must feel to not have to constantly be thinking about your disease, which is how i felt during that period of daily cannabis use. it was like being in jail for life at first, and then having your punishment dropped to community service, where your not constantly being punished or locked up. my mom refused to accept the fact that it helped and sent me away for 3 weeks to my uncles to work. i was forced to quit and about 1-2 weeks after i quit, my BS went out of control up in the 200-300′s. it was obvious at this point. im home now and havnt smoked for over 3 months and i still have muscle spasms and now i even sometimes feel sharp pains in my eyes. my mom is more concerned about me getting caught by the cops and getting fined 100 dollars than making my life so much easier and more enjoyable i cant even describe it. its a shame that people like my brother who have ADD have to take Aderall (speed) for their disease, when they can be smoking pot,and that parents would rather have it that way.

28. andrew m.
    andrew m. November 13, 2008 at 4:27 am | | Reply

i have had type 1 diabetes since the age of 15, and i am now 23. ive been smoking marijuana since the age of 16. at first it was a recreational activity for me. i then started to realize that it was more of an extremely helpful medication for me. i have found that..
    it does stabilize, and if you use it right; lower blood sugars.
    it relieves stress, which in return; lowers blood sugars.
    it is the only thing in the world that can make you feel better, if and when you are suffering from a high blood sugar level.
    it will help you go to sleep, if you cant. (a normal sleep schedule is imperative for a diabetic to keep up with.
    research has also shown..

Many cannabinoids act primarily to inhibit prostaglandins and COX-2, while providing powerful anti-oxidant properties to salvage free radicals, and inhibit macrophage and TNF. All of this means that cannabis is an excellent anti-inflammatory that lacks the side effects of steroids (which diabetics have to avoid), the NSAIDS, and the COX-2 inhibitors like Vioxx. This anti-inflammatory action may help quell some of the arterial inflammation common in diabetes.

Cannabis is also neuroprotective. It is believed that much of neuropathy comes from the inflammation of nerves caused by glycoproteins in the blood that deposit in peripheral tissues and trigger an immune response. Cannabis helps protect the nerve covering (myelin sheath) from inflammatory attack. Cannabis also lessens the pain of neuropathy by activating receptors in the body and brain. Some components of cannabis (perhaps cannibidiol) act as anti-spasmodic agents similar to the far more toxic anti-convulsants like Neurontin. This action of cannabis helps relieve diabetic muscle cramps and GI upset.

Two other major actions of cannabis can benefit the diabetic. The first is helping to keep blood vessels open and improving circulation. Cannabis is a vasodilator and works well to improve blood flow. The second action is how cannabis can reduce blood pressure over time. While cannabis is not generally thought to be an anti-hypertensive and is no replacement for ACE inhibitors, it does contribute to lower blood pressure which is vital in diabetes management.
    i truly believe that this plant has improved my quality of life,
    and it will yours too.

peace.

29. Toad
    Toad December 7, 2008 at 3:33 pm | | Reply

All I can say is……..I smoked for decades and then an “interventon” came from my wife and 15 year old daughter who hates the smell, sight, or idea of weed. Off to 45 days of rehab with heroin users, oxy users, and coke heads. I was the only one there for “weed”. Regardless it was the only thing that would save my marriage and love of my daughter

I just got type II diabetes, my eyes are going, my legs are tingling and wake me up at night, and I am on a plethera of chemical drugs for depression, sleep, pain, and “mood stabilizers”. Damn – weed used to solve all of these problems and then some…………..and I took NO CHEMCICALS!! I did not wear glasses, slept like a log, had no pain (albeit I smoked till there was NO pain between my ears) and I ran a multimillion dollar business traveling the world with a bag of weed tucked away in my chonies. I miss it, I will smoke it again when it is legal, and my daughter will accept it when that happens…………….god willing.

All who knew me before say I’m great now………….but I sure dont feel so damn great.

30. jwd
    jwd December 12, 2008 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

I became a Type I Diabetic 45 years ago. Back in the dark ages, when we used a test tube to check our blood sugar in our urine. We have come a long way. I have many complications, most of which are painful and frightening. Starting insulin injections at age 7 and smoking pot at age 12 (which I do not recommend) has keep me alive with all of my original equipment. I have my vision (even with retinopathy), I have both of my feet and legs, my kidneys and my heart. I do not believe this would have been possible with out the use of cannabis.

Michigan became the 13th state to legalize medical cannabis, the 1st state in the Midwest. I am hopeful that now I will not have the stress of defending myself and my position on cannabis. We who live with chronic disease need all of the help we can get. Thanks for taking the time to cover this important topic.

31. Scott Gouge
    Scott Gouge July 2, 2009 at 2:50 pm | | Reply

I think that the National Institutes of Health should fund a serious double-blind study on the effects of cannabis use in controlling diabetes, and our lawmakers should also be informed and pressured to help either legalize medicinal use under the oversight of responsible physicians, or at least find a way to isolate the active ingredients, probably THC, in a pill or other form that can be legally prescribed. Diabetes is a dreadful disease, I myself am on several medications for ten years now, Im 50 and it totally sucks to have to endure this.

32. Josh Hall
    Josh Hall December 7, 2009 at 1:30 am | | Reply

I have had diabetes for 19 years this feb. and i have been smoking mary for 11 of those years, ive noticed it has helped alot with my blood sugars, i dont understand the government reluctance in legalizing this unharmful drug, it does more harm illegaly than it would ever do if it were legal, i think its time we had a reckoning with the laws that are outdated and primarly based on prejudice, and i also see it as a way of creating a market that is very profitable to the economy by producing jobs and keeping its citizens healthly, the crime here is big business the pharmacutical industry not wanting something so cheap being preffered over all the pills that cost so much and make them the richest industry in the world today, i say legalize it!!

33. H. R. BEVIS
    H. R. BEVIS December 27, 2009 at 5:15 pm | | Reply

I have been reading all of the comments. I don’t smoke Cannabis but I know people that do. I see a lot of people are saying that it should be legal for medical use. I don’t know about all states, I live in Tennessee, and
    it has been in use for at least 15 years. My father in law had Cancer years ago and his doctor gave him the pills to keep him from being sick all of the time. It stopped him being sick each time he had to take a pill. I did not
    have much faith when he started taking the pills but it did not take me long
    to be convinced that it worked 100%. A friend of mine had Prostrate Cancer
    and he smoked to keep himself from being sick. And it did not take very long to take effect.

So, if I had my way it would be legal for medical use in every state in the Union. By the way Tennessee grows more Pot than almost every other state.

34. Kim
    Kim March 16, 2010 at 8:46 am | | Reply

I wish marijuana was legal. It bothers me greatly that tobacco is legal but marijuana isn’t. How illogical is that! Marijuana has been used in medicine for thousands of years. It was used in old traditional chinese medical treatments. Marijuana has personally helped me with gastritis. I had gastritis for over 2 years and I tried everything under the sun. I tried acupuncture, herbal medicine, vegetarian diet change, meditation, etc. Until one day I came across it with friends and my gastritis just went away! It’s funny that I can now drink coffee, eat dairy foods, and any type of food I like in moderation. To this day it baffles me how a little bit of weed can fix me and nothing else did for years.

35. will
    will May 19, 2010 at 1:20 pm | | Reply

Ok Ive been a type 2 diabetic for 10 years now and I am now 20 and have been on both oral and insulin treatment now with both I have not seen a great change in the sugar levels which can range from 400-600 at any given time well recently I have begun to smoke marijuana and have seen my sugars from 100-200 so I say that the study is correct when it says that it does stabilize blood sugars because 100s-200s sugars are alot better than 400s-600s.

36. Emmanuel
    Emmanuel June 28, 2010 at 10:49 am | | Reply

I was diagnose with diabetics about two weeks ago when I felt my trough was dry but if I can remember it happen sometimes with me since ten years now but I never took it serious so this time I decided to go for a text I was told my blood sugar was 10.0 I don’t even know what the doctor mean by that and he said it suppose to be 6.0 which is normal for human but at my age 38years I never know because I started smoking cannabis since I was 17 years so now I know that I was living with it for the past ten years thanks to cannabis.
    And it is in my family.

37. June
    June August 24, 2010 at 5:59 pm | | Reply

Is Maryland a state where marijuana is legal? How can I get my doctor to prescribe marijuana for my use

38. john
    john November 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm | | Reply

I am a 36 yr old male who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 years ago. My A1c was 15.8 and my doctor told me that I was in serious jeopardy of losing my kidneys, legs, eyes, and my life. I eliminated most sugar from my daily caloric intake and began using marijuana in the evenings mostly to help with the leg pains and tingling sensation which kept me up. I was prescribed metformin and after 3 months of the aforementioned changes my A1c had dropped to 6.4. My doctor was astounded and asked me to become part of a diabetic research project which he was leading. Due to the fact that I live in a state which doesn’t allow even the medicinal use of marijuana I had to decline his request. I now enjoy a mid 6 A1c unmedicated … unless you live in a state which considers marijuana medicine :) just f.y.i. I have never tried nor plan on trying any other “drug” and I only use marijuana at night. I had only smoked three or four times in my life prior to being diagnosed so in my not so expert opinion my sudden and miraculous defeat of this terrible disease is linked directly to my use of marijuana.

39. bababooey
    bababooey December 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm | | Reply

Take it for what its worth – I gave some Cannabis Oil I made to my younger sister for Cold Sores. She applied it the night I gave it to? her. She called me the next morning ecstatic because it was practically gone… By the 3rd day it was totally gone. In her eyes, I am her hero.. I just couldn’t believed it worked and so fast!

Love me Cannabis..

40. Garey
    Garey December 18, 2010 at 9:27 pm | | Reply

I was diagnosed with type II in 1996, believe it or not because of a random drug test by my employer. Since then I have been searching for some alternative to pills. My doc says I can control it with diet and exercise. However, I have three bad discs in my back and suffer from C.O.P.D, so exercise is out of the question. If certain foods tasted better, I might be able to stay oin a diet. So far, no luck with that.
    I have a cousin in New Zealand who is a vegan and health food nut. He has been trying to convince me for years to do the same. I just cannot bring myself to eschew a good steak or a simple hamburger.
    I tried smoking marijuana about 45 years ago, and it made me so sick to my stomach I vomited for about 20 minutes, and I have not tried it since. I have been reading about medical marijuana for some time now, but I live in a state where the likelyhood of it ever becoming legal is very low. So, I am afraid to ask my doctor his position on the subject. Also, at 65, I wonder if it would be helpful since because of the C.O.P.D. smoking this stuff is also out of the question. So, how can cannibis do me any good?

41. sandra
    sandra January 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm | | Reply

I never knew all the benefits of smoking pot for my diabetes. The only time I had high blood pressure was when I was pregnant. For obvious reasons. I’ve been a diabetic for 20yrs. this june, I’ve had IBS for almost 10yrs. and nothing prescribed helped with the cramping like a lil’ pot. I’ve been smoking for 15yrs. now and now I don’t want to quit after finding this….

Its all about control, no one healthy or not should eat a whole box of HO HO’s after getting the munchies. Made me laugh though.

42. W.e.e.d.i.e
    W.e.e.d.i.e January 12, 2011 at 1:36 am | | Reply

okay so my parents dont believe this. Lol but they arentstopping me lol I was diagnosed when I was 8 and im now 16. I barley use my pump. Istarted smoking weed when I was 14 ,and never quit. Its a more dailuy thing now. I eat good lmao, I sleep great. And laugh alot. (even though laughing has nothing to do with it) im happy. I used to get so…angry at nothing. Now im just happy. My whole dads side of the family has smoked weed forevrr and still do. Nothing is (bad) aboit it legalizeew ittt nowww!

43. Dave
    Dave January 15, 2011 at 9:08 am | | Reply

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been since early 2009. Being frank, I’m an overweight, alcoholic, diabetic smoker with high blood pressure. The right cocktail for an early grave.

My blood glucose has been higher than normal for me lately – now, it’s likely the diabetes is getting worse and coupled with a cold and a nasty pinched nerve, causing me a lot of pain raises levels. Rather than doing an embarrassing community detox, I opted to try weed to help me cut down drinking.

Well, over the last week, I now calculate I’m drinking 60% LESS than before(and believe me, I was drinking a LOT). Easily. The weed makes my trapped nerve/arm pain melt away. But most importantly, it seems to have made my blood glucose levels drop to very much normal levels. I just thought I was doing really well diet wise and it suddenly hit me – I’ve been smoking weed.

THREE things right there. Less alcohol, less pain, less blood glucose. I wonder how this works. Some postulate that it’s because it relaxes you. I’m pretty sure it’s done all kinds of things with me!

It’s a fucking miracle drug. Now, I shouldn’t be smoking as a diabetic, so it looks like a vaporiser is on order soon…..!

44. Shreddi
    Shreddi January 29, 2011 at 12:28 pm | | Reply

Marijuana used to be associated with lowering blood sugar, hence people got hungry, instinct is eat to raise it. I Do Not Know if That is 100 percent True and would Like to see it false. I had severe hypoglycemia which messed me up mentally. Luckly Dr gave me a 5 hour glucose tolerance test to prove it. It was there in Black and White. Most Dr’s who havent opened a book since they got their license doesnt believe the pancrease can be damaged before dying. The Dr. was very cool, open minded. When I asked if pot was ok since now drinking wasnt, he told me about the lowering of blood sugar. Just some info i thought i would pass on. Like I said would be nice to see some hard numbers, facts on the subject.

45. Adam Hough
    Adam Hough April 4, 2011 at 8:59 am | | Reply

Its nice to hear other diabetics have found the use of cannabis has had a positive effect on blood sugars. I havwe had diabeties since may 1985 and have used cannabis since I was 13 years. I am now 32 have had no long term medical problems appart from the diabeties Type 1. I have found that using cannabis has enabled me to live a normal life with very few hospital visits regarding my diabeties. The use of cannabis has kept my blood sugars on a even keel even if I havent always been the most responsible of diabetics where sweet things are concerned. All I can say on that is a little indulgance prevents big blow outs!!!.

46. J Moore
    J Moore April 8, 2011 at 10:50 am | | Reply

I have had type 1 diabetes since 1968 and have smoked pot since1972 and I nave since quit (due to money and other health problems). My intake of insulin has increased greatly and I can not walk anymore because of leg circulation. My vomiting has become unbearable. Pain in my back from an old accident has increased very much. Quitting pot was very easy with no side effects other than what I have stated. The medical profession, people in general and the government shun this drug for being compared to hard chemical drugs. Our top doctors do not know what effects this “natural” drug can do for humans. There is no research done on this drug for drug companies because they can not make money on a illegal drug.

47. Margo
    Margo July 30, 2011 at 8:41 am | | Reply

Not true for me. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic but with diet and exercise can keep my sugar well in normal fasting 80′s. However, I tried some sativa hybrid weed and it raised my blood glucose level up 35% for over 6 hours without eating anything (and I sure felt hungry). No weed for me.

48. Mike
    Mike August 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm | | Reply

Have been smoking for quite some time now. Long before being diagnosed type 1. Have always found it beneficial to me. I’m self-employed and emloy numerous poeple. Along with that comes a fair amount of stress. I believe that when I did quit smoking pot, it alowed the diabetes to show through. I really do believe that marijuana, and being very active, masked my diabetes for many years.
    When I was diagnosed I quit drinking alchohol, not that I was a big drinker anyways. Always prefered the buds. Started smoking pot again, seeing how I needed something to take my mind of things.
    Have been on the pump now for about two years and it keeps track of things pretty good. Point of the story is that I can always look back at my numbers and tell when I couldn’t get my hands on some herb. BG’s certainly do go higher. Not much, but higher! Who knows could be down too the stress relief. Either way, lower BG’s are hard to argue with.
    I do smoke daily. Its an after work unwind for me. Deffinatly helps with those unexplained high blood sugars. Does make me feel better, like nothing else can.

49. Simon
    Simon November 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm | | Reply

this plant IS a super-miracle medecine…and that is WHY it’s illegal

50. shane
    shane December 12, 2011 at 8:20 am | | Reply

the only side affect is the potential criminal aspect of it… legalise !!