Blogging for Katrina Victims

Here I sit on the warm and extremely dry uttermost West Coast of our country and feel helpless. All those people driven from their homes… All those deaths and injuries and possessions lost and memories obliterated (family friends whose house burned down years ago always said the worst was losing the family photos, yearbooks, baby books and mementos, etc.)

And then I keep thinking: what would it be like to be caught in a major natural disaster NOW, with my life dependent on injecting fresh insulin? How would I get the supplies I need, and how in heaven’s name would I keep my diabetes in some semblance of control without them? And without the slightest idea when or what I might eat next? Really quite my nightmare, as the newbie to this Chronic Disease stuff. I mean, it’s hard enough in good times…

Hurricanerefugeap_1And then came the note from Paul Chaney, formerly of The Diabetes Blog, who lives in Mississippi, where the storm killed 50 people in one county alone. Aaack! And here I sit, composing amusing haikus and fussing about my kids’ school supply lists. Time to tune in and do what I can.

So here’s my initial contribution: Information (it’s what I do) –

1) Please be aware that today is BLOG FOR RELIEF DAYa day of blogging focused on raising awareness of and funds for relief efforts to aid those affected by Hurricane Katrina. You can add your blog to the list of participants by clicking here.

2) If you wish to click directly through to a charity for donations, try these links -

* The TruthLaidBear
Or
* Instapundit’s Roundup

3) Kudos to my friends over at dLife — ever rolling with the diabetics’ interest at heart. They have started a drive to collect donated diabetes supplies to help victims of Hurricane Katrina who are stranded without the medicine and supplies they need. Read all about it HERE. They implore you (us!) to ship them any available supplies via overnight delivery service (FedEx or DHL) asap to:

dLife Relief
101 Franklin Street
Westport, CT 06880

This last request is a hard one in a way. It affords me such comfort to know that my bathroom is fully equipped with extra D-supplies. But I’m planning on boxing up some of it, for sure, in the hopes that someone on the other side of the country would do the same for me under the circumstances.

1. GINA
    GINA September 1, 2005 at 7:21 pm | | Reply

I have been informed by Tom Karlya at dlife that INSULIN CAN NOT BE DONATED..TOO RISKY

Dlife will be working with Novo nordisk and lilly to send insulin.

2. Martha
    Martha September 2, 2005 at 9:00 pm | | Reply

Hi, posting quickly…

For supplies to send to the dLife effort—–ASK AT YOUR LOCAL PHARMACY. They have TONS of slightly dented or opened boxes of strips, meters etc. They cannot sell these supplies to the public, but my local pharmacy was thrilled to be able to donate to the relief efforts. These are perfectly useable supplies.

My local pharmacy donated an entire grocery cart of supplies (mainly strips and meters) when they heard what I was collecting for. They gave nearly $2000 worth of items. This is Longs of Greenbrae CA and they are heroes (especially DAVID).

So everyone, please think about asking. It costs not a penny to ask.

3. D double E
    D double E September 4, 2005 at 7:43 pm | | Reply

Amy-
    Thanks for the info. I have sent all of our extra (and not so extra) stuff and I have sent out an urgent email to the DC JDRF list here to do the same. We are collecting diabetic supplies in the DC/Potomac area to ship another load on Tuesday, and have received a great response so far.

Thanks for getting the word out– its working.

4. Joe
    Joe September 15, 2005 at 9:35 am | | Reply

Your friends at DLife — out to make a few bucks on the backs of diabetics.

5. AmyT
    AmyT September 15, 2005 at 12:46 pm | | Reply

Joe: That’s a stinky thing to say.

The people at dLife have done more to unite the diabetes community than any organization to date. And so far they’ve raised thousands of dollars for Katrina relief and have sent hundreds of crates full of diabetes supplies to the people who need it most.

Plus: all the folks I know over there either have diabetes themselves, or have children with diabetes. So I doubt that they’re out to cheat anyone.

Yes, dLife is a business. But not all businesses are evil, Joe.

6. Joe
    Joe September 27, 2005 at 11:24 am | | Reply

Yeah, right. You’re a fan of dlife because you’re also looking for a way to “cash in” on your diabetes. How much money do they put into research for a cure? They started a tv show because they saw a “market”…diabetics. They are not evil…they are just capitalists and that’s a good thing…but don’t try to convice me that they are the end all be all for diabetics. They are just in it for the $…altruism comes later as just another part of the marketing. You started altruistic, now you’re chasing the $ too!

7. AmyT
    AmyT September 27, 2005 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

Hi Joe,
    I’m sorry that you feel so negative about dLife. I personally think they are doing good work.

So far I don’t even break even on my D-writing ventures, but if I someday do… well, it’s an honest living. If I provide a service that some people benefit from, why shouldn’t I be reimbursed for my troubles?

PLEASE NOTE: Henceforth, I shall implement the policy that Dr.Quick uses over at Diabetes.Blog.Com: You must include a VALID EMAIL address when posting comments here, otherwise they will likely be removed.